Michigan Football: Elite or Overrated?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That comparison was over the last 20 years.
Both have a 3 year period of horrible coaches that averaged 5-7, but I would not take any of Tennessee's coaches in that time period before Carr and Harbaugh even though I think they are overrated. Tennessee has 0 SECC while Michigan has 3 (the same as UGA). I think its more surprising that Michigan has been average Tennessee being below average in that time frame.

I think the 1999 Michigan team is probably one of those teams that would've changed the narrative and gave us an easier comparison had they had a coach that stuck with a returning starting quarterback instead of listening to the fans. I still think the 1999 Michigan and Alabama teams were better than the teams that played for the NCG that year, but they had coaches that were head cases.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Michigan is a historically relevant program. Definitely a blueblood but perhaps not elite. They've had stretches where they've been in the national title hunt every year and not very many lows. There aren't many schools out there where the dividing line between a good or bad season is at 9 or 10 wins. Michigan is one of those programs.

In terms of eliteness they're a lot like Georgia or Texas. They probably ought to have more trophies than they do but it isn't like they're Mississippi State or Kansas State.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I just compare today's Michigan to Michigan teams of prior years. Unfortunately, Harbaugh does not measure up. He may have organized great training/vacations in Italy, but he's had some really good players since he's been at Meechigan like Gary, but not even won their division. Perennial under-achievers to me.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
How does FPI even work in the preseason?

Having Michigan at 5 and Ohio State at 13 seems absurd.
I agree, it does seem absurd. I went back and looked at how espn defines the fpi ranks and it's based on performance over the last 4 years ... which would make their choice of them being the even more questionable. But they also said they put high emphasis on the QB position which means they are putting more stock on Patterson returning. All in all I still don't think it makes sense lol.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
All-time? Elite.

Lately? Overrated.

I wonder how much demographic changes have and will change the narrative going forward. Detroit is a shell of its former self. There is still name recognition for the brand, but it has faded.

Is UM like Alabama 2006? I think more like UTe has been but with a larger natural recruiting footprint and better brand recognition to keep it afloat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.