Ole Miss Vacates 33 Wins In Wake Of NCAA Investigation

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Does this mean we pick up two more wins???
Nope, vacated wins just mean that no one officially won the game. they are pointless but here we are.

fun fact FSU vacated the 2007 win over bama, who if we had won that game, would also have had to vacate it. Its actually best we all vacate that game from our memories, unfortunately I attended that one is person.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If vacating wins is essentially the game never happened then IMO, losses should be vacated and the season never happened in the record books. :conf2:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The headline says the wins are vacated, but the article says that some wins are forfeited due to playing an ineligible player.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The AD over there made some comment along the lines of "it's just paper. Everyone saw the games." Man, this came across really arrogant to me, and makes the NCAA look like a joke, and tells me that Ole Miss still doesn't take compliance seriously. Two thoughts about that: one is, why should anyone take compliance seriously? UNC basketball got off scott free, Ole Miss got hammered decent, then the NCAA gave them some of it back. Missouri got hit pretty hard for tutor-gate week before last, and they paid pretty close attention to the NCAA requests. Auburn got away with murder for Cam Newton, though no bodies were found. :D

Second thought is that I don't feel there would be any retribution for Alabama had our school done HALF of what Ole Miss or Missouri or UNC did. If we had been embroiled in questions the way Auburn was over Cam Newton, I feel certain we would have been on multi-year bowl ban.

And let's not even touch what Penn State went through, the penalties they were originally dealt, and how the NCAA walked back much of that too.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Vacating anything -- wins, awards, etc. -- is just so dumb.

We were all there, it happened. All this does is make people do math when they want to figure out what a teams actual record was.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
What should the consequences be for using ineligible players? When the consequences are prospective, like bowl bans or scholarship limitations, people complain (with some accuracy) that the NCAA is punishing players who weren't there when it happened. If the consequences are retrospective (like vacations of victories or titles), then people complain that they are meaningless. Do we really want to say that anything goes?

Obviously, the attitude of Ole Miss is to not show any contrition for admitted rules violation, which causes me to wonder if anything has changed.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
What should the consequences be for using ineligible players? When the consequences are prospective, like bowl bans or scholarship limitations, people complain (with some accuracy) that the NCAA is punishing players who weren't there when it happened. If the consequences are retrospective (like vacations of victories or titles), then people complain that they are meaningless. Do we really want to say that anything goes?

Obviously, the attitude of Ole Miss is to not show any contrition for admitted rules violation, which causes me to wonder if anything has changed.
It's Ole Miss. They'll always skirt the edge and once they cross over it's "oh well, might as well got for it now!". It's their ONLY tradition. They can't even make up their minds on a mascot for crying out loud.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Nope, vacated wins just mean that no one officially won the game. they are pointless but here we are.

fun fact FSU vacated the 2007 win over bama, who if we had won that game, would also have had to vacate it. Its actually best we all vacate that game from our memories, unfortunately I attended that one is person.
While they don't count as wins, it is two less losses on the ledger.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
This is, again, going to get interesting. The Ole Miss Rival site was the first to report the vacating of wins at approximately 6:30 last evening.
Chase Parham is the writer and here is the story as it stands now:

https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/ole-miss-vacates-more-than-30-wins-over-a-span-of-six-seasons

The story was edited from its original version before 7PM last night. In the original there was a one sentence clarification regarding the the vacations from the 2016 season. The games vacated from 2010 through 2014 were obviously created by ineligible players from the ACT scandal originating in Wayne County.

The one sentence clarification for the 2016 games was----

Benito Jones is the ineligible player resulting in the five vacated wins from 2016.

That line was edited out and now, one is left to guess why games were vacated in 2016.

The story was edited before 7PM to remove that one sentence and I haven't seen the name mentioned in any other story. Benito Jones, DT from Wayne County, who before yesterday had not been mentioned in any of the NCAA communications regarding all of Ole Miss's troubles was the reason Ole Miss had to vacate their wins in 2016. The NCAA asked Ole Miss to provide them a list of ineligible players to complete this "process". Benito Jones was on that list. Jones played every game in 2017 and 2018 but was ineligible in 2016? His freshman year? Yet was eligible in 2017 and 2018?

Jones you may remember committed to Alabama after attending a camp in Tuscaloosa in July 2014. His commitment lasted about a month when he flipped to Ole Miss in August of the same year. It was well known he wasn't going to Alabama when he committed and Ole Miss used that as a springboard to a pretty successful class in February, 2016.
Because the civil suit between Rebel Rags and the NCAA / MSU / Leo Lewis is ongoing, I would think that someone in the Leo Lewis camp would think to ask the question------Why was Benito Jones ineligible? A FOI request for that information from the athletic department should be easy.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
College football in Mississippi is a dumpster fire. These sanctions, the Leo Lewis situation, and Southern Miss trying to hire Art Briles as an offensive assistant. Well, at least they have decent Juco ball [emoji2369].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The AD over there made some comment along the lines of "it's just paper. Everyone saw the games." Man, this came across really arrogant to me, and makes the NCAA look like a joke, and tells me that Ole Miss still doesn't take compliance seriously. Two thoughts about that: one is, why should anyone take compliance seriously? UNC basketball got off scott free, Ole Miss got hammered decent, then the NCAA gave them some of it back. Missouri got hit pretty hard for tutor-gate week before last, and they paid pretty close attention to the NCAA requests. Auburn got away with murder for Cam Newton, though no bodies were found. :D

Second thought is that I don't feel there would be any retribution for Alabama had our school done HALF of what Ole Miss or Missouri or UNC did. If we had been embroiled in questions the way Auburn was over Cam Newton, I feel certain we would have been on multi-year bowl ban.

And let's not even touch what Penn State went through, the penalties they were originally dealt, and how the NCAA walked back much of that too.
Mike Slive was responsible for that...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Bama would no longer have a football program. Permanent death penalty.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I would love to here more people thoughts about this because it’s true, people complain about bowl bans and vacated wins.

I personally wish they would go after the coaches involved and school administrators instead of the program as a whole. Coaches should be suspended and fined even if they have moved to another school. You got to hit people where it really matters, the pocketbook. Make it such a financial burden to get caught and then maybe people will think twice about breaking the rules.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.