Link: Is Les Miles Ready for the Hardest Job in College Football?

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Les is goofy, but he can recruit and is a good coach (except for clock management). I just wonder how the grass or tumbleweed tastes in Kansas.

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
First off, how can anyone not like the Mad Hatter. His quotes and idiosyncrasies make him a star. And he is a pretty good football coach and recruiter as well. I hope he does well at Kansas and destroys that conference.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
That's the style of ball I was thinking about. Gritty, tough, power-running and I think he'll eventually build the best defense in the Big 12.
This is what Kleiman will likely do at K State too. No idea if he'll be successful but I like his chances. Schools like KU are basketball schools but they are great schools on beautiful campuses (IU, North Carolina, UCLA, Virginia) so with the right coach and facilities they could definitely compete.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have been a fan of Coach Miles for many years. His teams played hard nosed football and he always had a lot of talent. His shortcomings were on the offensive side and being in the Big 12 competing against Stoops and Mac Brown. At LSU he had the same situation competing against Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.

I fully expect he will recruit well, play hard nosed football at KU, but let's face it, that job is really an 8-4 maybe 9-3. He will not be able to compete annually with OU and Texas. Outside of those two teams I like his chances against the rest of the Big 12. I really believe this is a good hire for both KU and Miles.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Digging on the consensus here of respect and 'Bama bonhomie for the Mad Hatter - can't say why, exactly, but it's one of the best off-season pick-me-ups experienced via Tidefans.

Land

Sep 14, 2018
He rode CNS coattails to a NC and he proved he couldn't really sustain what CNS built at a championship level but he's better than alot of coaches out there and has some likeable qualities.

I'm rooting for him to be successful and I imagine Kansas will overtake K. State and they'll be a solid team. I wouldn't be shocked if they won a Big 12 title with him if they give him enough time to build a roster and change the culture.
Unfortunately, with Texas and Oklahoma looming ever larger in the Big 12, winning the Big 12 for KS will always be a pipe dream. Not going to happen.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Miles may not get Kansas to the CFP or even to more than a minor bowl game (certainly not in less than 2-3 years to make a bowl), but I think he can flip the culture and have long-term impact. I doubt we will see much of a drastic change in the offense/defense philosophy on the field in year one, but I would expect to see it in the recruiting and the coaching rooms. When the players are caught up to the Miles way, the Jayhawks may no longer be viewed as an automatic win in the Big XII. I really wish the SEC and Big XII would pressure a renewal of the Missouri-Kansas Border War.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Miles may not get Kansas to the CFP or even to more than a minor bowl game (certainly not in less than 2-3 years to make a bowl), but I think he can flip the culture and have long-term impact. I doubt we will see much of a drastic change in the offense/defense philosophy on the field in year one, but I would expect to see it in the recruiting and the coaching rooms. When the players are caught up to the Miles way, the Jayhawks may no longer be viewed as an automatic win in the Big XII. I really wish the SEC and Big XII would pressure a renewal of the Missouri-Kansas Border War.
I remember listening to the Kansas Football Radio Network when I lived in Kansas and the sports journalist on the Mizzou campus reported a Mizzou fan had just walked by him wearing a t-shirt that said, "Lawrence is a nice place to visit... and burn to the ground."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For the record, I do not think Lawrence is a tough place to win. I think Lawrence will prove a tough place to win a championship. Les is a good enough coach that he will wins a bunch of games, and that will be good enough for the PTB at KU. They loved Mark Mangino because he won, for a while. Thus, I do not think it is the "toughest job in College Football."

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.