Link: Is Les Miles Ready for the Hardest Job in College Football?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Sliced avocado, mixed greens, walnuts, grapes, dried cranberries, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. These ingredients are gathered in a bowl, tossed in a rice wine vinaigrette and, on this cold night at 23rd Street Brewery, placed in front of Kathy Miles. “I love the dressing,” she tells restaurant owner Matt Llewellyn. This meatless salad is a new menu item at Lawrence’s trademark restaurant, and it is selling well, Llewellyn says, mainly because most patrons add protein, raising the price from $10.99 to $13.99. Weeks ago, Kathy’s husband, the new Kansas head football coach, walked into this place for the first time and, after scouring the menu, created his own dish. “Here’s what I want,” he told Llewellyn, and with that, the Les Miles Vegan Salad was born.

Les Miles has a new diet. He has a new job, having been fired from an SEC football powerhouse only to land at a Big 12 basketball school. He also has a new mannerism: He no longer publicly utters the three letters inscribed on the national championship ring he brandishes on his right hand, instead referring to LSU as “my last stop” or “the place I was last”. Miles, now 65, is about 20 pounds lighter than you last saw him on the sideline, and for the first time in his life, he is regularly wearing his most hated color, a red that is a few shades away from the ones worn by his career archrivals Alabama (as head coach at LSU) and Ohio State (as a player and assistant at Michigan).

But the new Kansas coach is still quirky old Les Miles, the guy who during his two years out of football starred in beer commercials and appeared in two feature films; the guy who produced hilariously perplexing press conference soundbites by butchering the English language; the guy who chewed on grass in tense sideline moments and wore his white hat so oddly atop his head that he earned the nickname “the Mad Hatter”, which dovetailed with his penchant for fourth-down risks and fake field goals. He scaled a downtown Baton Rouge building, kissed a pig at an annual on-campus event and, during news conferences, did everything from answering a reporter’s ringing cellphone to saluting Columbus Day. A retired Miles had the makings of Dos Equis’s next “most interesting man in the world” or the replacement for Lee Corso as the comedic star of ESPN's College GameDay.
Had no idea the roster situation at Kansas was so bad:

None of this mentions the most troublesome issue, a grim roster outlook laid out by the new staff's in-house evaluation: Kansas won’t be able to fill its allotment of 85 scholarships until 2022 at the very earliest, thanks to attrition, the shortsighted recruiting tactics of past regimes and the NCAA’s two-year-old 25-scholarship limit for each signing class. Hecklinski spent two weeks while over Christmas break creating a comprehensive roster analysis, organized in a thick, three-ring binder that sits atop his desk. “I kept looking at it like, this can’t be right,” says Hecklinski. “Toughest roster situation I’ve seen.”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here's the reason why Les is in a perfect situation. He's not at LSU, Alabama, Ohio St where the fan base and administration is expecting/demanding national titles, conference champions year in and year out. He's at Kansas, making multi millions per year and a fanbase and administration who will be completely happy with improvement. Les is grinning like a Chester Cat depositing those checks.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Here's the reason why Les is in a perfect situation. He's not at LSU, Alabama, Ohio St where the fan base and administration is expecting/demanding national titles, conference champions year in and year out. He's at Kansas, making multi millions per year and a fanbase and administration who will be completely happy with improvement. Les is grinning like a Chester Cat depositing those checks.
Agree Kansas is and always will be a basketball school just like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. As long as the other sports programs are competitive and win a few every so often then the school is satisfied.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Agree Kansas is and always will be a basketball school just like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. As long as the other sports programs are competitive and win a few every so often then the school is satisfied.
IOW, it would be more aptly described as the easiest job in CFB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He rode CNS coattails to a NC and he proved he couldn't really sustain what CNS built at a championship level but he's better than alot of coaches out there and has some likeable qualities.

I'm rooting for him to be successful and I imagine Kansas will overtake K. State and they'll be a solid team. I wouldn't be shocked if they won a Big 12 title with him if they give him enough time to build a roster and change the culture.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
He rode CNS coattails to a NC and he proved he couldn't really sustain what CNS built at a championship level but he's better than alot of coaches out there and has some likeable qualities.

I'm rooting for him to be successful and I imagine Kansas will overtake K. State and they'll be a solid team. I wouldn't be shocked if they won a Big 12 title with him if they give him enough time to build a roster and change the culture.
This situation may actually be a perfect situation for Les' style of offense. All of the defenses in the Big 12 are built to stop the fast paced, basketball on grass offenses. Which means they are lighter and smaller across the board. If I'm Les, I may just make myself the "Georgia Tech" of the conference. Not by running the triple option, but being the odd ball offense that your team rarely practices or plays against. Les' "old school" power running game that he loves to run may actually give him a legitimate shot at winning in the Big 12.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This situation may actually be a perfect situation for Les' style of offense. All of the defenses in the Big 12 are built to stop the fast paced, basketball on grass offenses. Which means they are lighter and smaller across the board. If I'm Les, I may just make myself the "Georgia Tech" of the conference. Not by running the triple option, but being the odd ball offense that your team rarely practices or plays against. Les' "old school" power running game that he loves to run may actually give him a legitimate shot at winning in the Big 12.
Yep. Get a few solid players on defense to make a stop or two and he could pull some upsets, if they can control the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's the style of ball I was thinking about. Gritty, tough, power-running and I think he'll eventually build the best defense in the Big 12.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yep. Get a few solid players on defense to make a stop or two and he could pull some upsets, if they can control the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep and optimize each possession. With a ball control offense there are less possessions which means less opportunities to score. Possessions and their outcomes become more important.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Les Koenning is the OC after Chip Lindsey took the Troy job. Pretty sure he's more of an spread guy than Miles but still not as much as Lindsey.

Wouldn't expect a super ball control style from Kansas.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Kansas ran for 348 yards on 36 carries against an Oklahoma defense looking for a run. Bama ran for 200 yards on 42 carries against an Oklahoma defense looking for a pass. SMH.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I've thought about that. Those Big 12 defenses are all designed to face all those passing offenses in the Big 12. Having a running-oriented offense could succeed just on the novelty of it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't really know what to expect from Miles at Kansas, but I find him to be one of the most likable guys in all of football and hope he crushes it there.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
He may be grinning, but them Chester cats also walk with a limp so it could take him a while to get where he wants to go in Dodge City. Marshall Dillon could've told you that in the waiting room while Doc Stone was examining Miss Kitty's Cheshire cat's teeth...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe he will receive an Oscar for Actor of the Year in his role as Jayhawks football coach. Can he drink that beer on the sideline that he advertises? Can his players drink it during games? Will the cheerleaders, band, student section be able to do the same in the stadium? Will each football player on the team have a six-pack during halftime?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Kansas is a tough spot to try to build something, but Les can recruit and let's not forget - that incredible 2011 team (that would have destroyed OSU and gone down to be one of, if not the greatest teams to ever play CFB had they not had the misfortune of facing Bama a second time) was Les's seventh season at L8U - it's not like he was riding on Saban's coattails anymore. If not for Saban coming to Bama, Les would almost certainly be considered one of the all-time great coaches.

IOW, I'd not be surprised if he makes Kansas into something respectable. The man knows football.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I personally will be rooting for Kansas while Les is there. He is a great guy and his LSU teams vs Bama were epic. We just so happened to come out on the better end the majority of the time. If Les is able to take Kansas to more than one bowl game he is a first ballot HOFer. That is one hard place to coach.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.