Bracketology - Big Dance Predictions - Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Bracketology - Big Dance Predictions - Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I'd much prefer to be an 8 than a 10 or 11.......I realize how the bracket falls, but at some point you have to play a 1 seed.....might as well take one out early, when they may be overconfident. Hitting them later in the tournament when they are hitting their stride stinks. PLUS -- if you take out the 1 -- you get a 4 or 5 next..... much better than being a 10 then hitting a 2 seed, and a 3 seed on the way out....
    I donít mind playing a 1 in any other year. Iím specifically talking Duke or Gonzaga this year. I donít think we would have any shot at either of those teams. By rule, we canít be in the same bracket with UT in the first 2 rounds. I would be intrigued by a potential matchup with UVA. Although we might have 1,000 turnovers vs them. Iím specifically talking this year, not any other year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Bilas' 1-68 college basketball rankings ... Tiers on Valentine's Day

Tier one: National championship favorites

2. Tennessee Volunteers
    If you don't like one-and-done-led teams, then you should love Tennessee. This is an old-school team that has grown up together and is reaping the benefits of being a veteran group. The Vols are shooting better than 52 percent from the field in SEC play, and Grant Williams is living at the free throw line. Tennessee's games against Kentucky will decide the SEC race. The Wildcats will continue to get better as the end nears. There is reason to believe Tennessee will continue to get better, too.

5. Kentucky Wildcats
    Don't be too concerned about the loss to LSU. Kentucky is looking more like the team that was ranked No. 1 before the season. Is this team as good as Duke? No. But this team can beat Duke or anyone else. A major difference has been the stellar play of PJ Washington, who is averaging 21 points and almost six rebounds in his past three games. Washington is a legit pro.

Tier two: Final Four contenders

13. LSU Tigers
    The Bayou Bengals have legit talent and can really get offensive rebounds. What will hold LSU back from being among the very best teams is defensive rebounding and perimeter shooting. Tremont Waters is one of the best guards in the country and one of the very best little guards, along with Campbell's Chris Clemons, Miami's Chris Lykes and Marquette's Markus Howard.

Tier Three: Second-weekend contenders

23. Auburn Tigers
    The Tigers are a tough team to figure out in conference play. Auburn is now under .500 and one of the best offensive teams in the SEC. But while turning teams over and creating a chaotic game, Auburn is fouling too much and putting opponents on the foul line. Still, this is a team that should be a high seed in the NCAA tournament. If not, they will make life hell for an early opponent.

28. Mississippi State Bulldogs
    The Bulldogs have lost six of the past 11 games. Five of those losses have been by five points or fewer. Ben Howland's team is veteran and solid, though the Bulldogs can do a better job of taking care of the ball and getting into the paint more often.

Tier four: NCAA tournament-worthy teams

31. Ole Miss Rebels
    The Rebels have lost five of nine even after the Auburn win on Wednesday and could be headed toward a .500 finish in the SEC. Still, this is a good team with very good guards. You have to defend the Ole Miss guards without fouling, as the Rebels shoot better than 77 percent from the line, third in the SEC and 10th nationally.

40. Florida Gators
    The Gators continue to cling to NCAA tournament hope despite a record that has floated right around the .500 mark in February. Mike White's group needs to get better around the rim to make a run -- their 45 percent clip on 2-point baskets is last in the SEC.

43. Arkansas Razorbacks
    Daniel Gafford gets 17 points and nine rebounds per game and remains a major handful around the rim for opponents. But if Arkansas is to win key games over the final weeks, that 66 percent team free throw percentage is going to have to improve.

Tier five: Scratching for at-large berths

46. Alabama Crimson Tide
    Alabama has wins over Kentucky and Mississippi State already this season and has proved that it can play with anyone. The Tide's hopes down the stretch will be powered by leading scorer and facilitator Kira Lewis, who at 17 is the youngest regular in Division I.
    Maybe I'm too much of a homer, but how can he have Arkansas ahead of Alabama with a 14-10 record and a NET ranking of 63?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Maybe I'm too much of a homer, but how can he have Arkansas ahead of Alabama with a 14-10 record and a NET ranking of 63?
    Agreed - I would have Alabama ahead of Arkansas, but both would be in the "Scratching" category. Neither is in right now (IMO), but both could work their way in.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I may be jinxing us...but Florida "worthy"?? I guess their NET is high enough but it doesn't make any sense to me when I look at their schedule and record...
    Last edited by day-day; February 14th, 2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I may be jinxing us...but Florida "worthy"?? I guess their NET is high enough but it doesn't make any sense to me when I look at their schedule and record...
    Their NET is 41. Alabamaís is 45.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Their NET is 41. Alabama’s is 45.

Yeah, I know. I think something is wrong with the NET.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

This is probably an unpopular opinion but at this point I don't think we make the tournament. We would have to sweep the next 4 games (UF, at A&M, Vandy and at USC) then probably win at least 1 of the 3 against LSU, AU and at Arkansas. The way we're playing right now I just don't have a lot of faith that we can put together 4 strong performances in a row. Of course the SEC tournament is the wild card because we could win a few games in the tournament like last year and play ourselves in that way..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This is probably an unpopular opinion but at this point I don't think we make the tournament. We would have to sweep the next 4 games (UF, at A&M, Vandy and at USC) then probably win at least 1 of the 3 against LSU, AU and at Arkansas. The way we're playing right now I just don't have a lot of faith that we can put together 4 strong performances in a row. Of course the SEC tournament is the wild card because we could win a few games in the tournament like last year and play ourselves in that way..
    Not so sure that I agree here. I think just 4 more wins total gets us in the tournament. 19 wins and then even just 1 in the SEC Tourney (I donít think we necessarily need that) We Have a good strength of schedule, plus are top 10, maybe even 5 in the nation in number of Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. We have a good SOS. 19 wins and I think we are in. Now I do agree with everyone in here that Iím tired of the bubble watch as well, but we arenít as in as of a shape as you think we are.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    Not so sure that I agree here. I think just 4 more wins total gets us in the tournament. 19 wins and then even just 1 in the SEC Tourney (I don’t think we necessarily need that) We Have a good strength of schedule, plus are top 10, maybe even 5 in the nation in number of Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. We have a good SOS. 19 wins and I think we are in. Now I do agree with everyone in here that I’m tired of the bubble watch as well, but we aren’t as in as of a shape as you think we are.

I agree. I think with out Q1 record we can sneak in as a low seed assuming we beat Florida Saturday. It also assumes we beat A&M and Vandy. I think this is essentially a play in game. The pecking order in the SEC will be critical.

Here is the remaining schedule:
    Florida Win
    A&M Win
    Vandy Win
    Carolina Toss up
    LSU loss- but it will be close.
    Auburn win- I think we avenge our loss there, but not convincingly
    Arkansas loss we could very well win this game, but Gafford is a horse. I think we'll struggle with him.
    This leaves us at 19-12 or 20-11 depending on the Carolina game going into the SEC tournament. Assuming this holds true, I think we are in.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

We are the most unpredictable team in the SEC.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    We are the most unpredictably dangerous team in the SEC.
    FIFY......

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    Not so sure that I agree here. I think just 4 more wins total gets us in the tournament. 19 wins and then even just 1 in the SEC Tourney (I don’t think we necessarily need that) We Have a good strength of schedule, plus are top 10, maybe even 5 in the nation in number of Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. We have a good SOS. 19 wins and I think we are in. Now I do agree with everyone in here that I’m tired of the bubble watch as well, but we aren’t as in as of a shape as you think we are.

Man I hope you're right because I really want us to make it. We could win a few games in the NCAA tournament depending on the matchups. I'm just skeptical that we can put together enough good performances over these last 7 games. It will also depend on how all the other bubble teams perform..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Man I hope you're right because I really want us to make it. We could win a few games in the NCAA tournament depending on the matchups. I'm just skeptical that we can put together enough good performances over these last 7 games. It will also depend on how all the other bubble teams perform and how the conference tournaments go..
    FIFY

-- Coach Bryant