Bracketology - Big Dance Predictions - Thread

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
The problem I have with this mindset is it is usually from the perspective of the fan.....not the team.

College sports should be about the young student athletes who do the competing.

I fully understand how important it is to have fans....and how invested fans are to their teams and programs.

But let's try to look at things from the player's standpoint.

I bet they would rather be in the NCAAT too - but I doubt you will find any who wouldn't still want to go to the NIT. Just my 2 cents...
We came out flat in a few games and lost our focus in many others. I'm not 100 percent sure they want to play. I could be wrong. Maybe they thought they could coast and win anyway. Never learned that lesson.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The problem I have with this mindset is it is usually from the perspective of the fan.....not the team.

College sports should be about the young student athletes who do the competing.

I fully understand how important it is to have fans....and how invested fans are to their teams and programs.

But let's try to look at things from the player's standpoint.

I bet they would rather be in the NCAAT too - but I doubt you will find any who wouldn't still want to go to the NIT. Just my 2 cents...
I understand the perspective Bazza. However, they have had the opportunity to “compete and get better” for 30+ games with little to no success. There are really two separate questions here: Is this team incapable of playing better/more consistent than they have? Certainly Then why over the course of these 30+ games haven’t they? Then, in my mind, it has to be either a) players aren’t coachable or b) coaches can’t teach .

I know where I fall on this. When you can’t inbound a ball, get your feet set on defense, block out on rebounds even in man to man defense, consistently have stretches in almost every game where you go scoreless for over five minutes or more in a half, give up double digit leads only to lose, and have your “foot in the opponent’s throat” and don’t finish them, then that is coaching. Period. We give CAJ 3 million reasons every year to make players better and the team better. And he hasn’t.

I understand the idea that the student athlete has the desire to “compete”. I question the desire of this coaching staff to help them compete better. The press conference with Avery after the Arkansas loss and Saturday after Kentucky game told me just about all I needed to see.

We are going to the NIT because of dollars, not desire by this staff or this team.

Just my opinion.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I understand the perspective Bazza. However, they have had the opportunity to “compete and get better” for 30+ games with little to no success. There are really two separate questions here: Is this team incapable of playing better/more consistent than they have? Certainly Then why over the course of these 30+ games haven’t they? Then, in my mind, it has to be either a) players aren’t coachable or b) coaches can’t teach .

I know where I fall on this. When you can’t inbound a ball, get your feet set on defense, block out on rebounds even in man to man defense, consistently have stretches in almost every game where you go scoreless for over five minutes or more in a half, give up double digit leads only to lose, and have your “foot in the opponent’s throat” and don’t finish them, then that is coaching. Period. We give CAJ 3 million reasons every year to make players better and the team better. And he hasn’t.

I understand the idea that the student athlete has the desire to “compete”. I question the desire of this coaching staff to help them compete better. The press conference with Avery after the Arkansas loss and Saturday after Kentucky game told me just about all I needed to see.

We are going to the NIT because of dollars, not desire by this staff or this team.

Just my opinion.
So, in essence, you’ve figured out how to lead the horse to water AND make him drink? Incredible.

I’m not defending Johnson, but the idea that all of the blame falls entirely on him is ridiculous. Nobody here knows what goes on in practice, or where the focus during the drills are. What we know is that the team lacks fundamental college level basketball skills, and that could be a combination of coaching and player retention and application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but the poor fundamentals that we have seen all season make it impossible for me to see Alabama putting together more than a few wins in a row. You are as talented as any team in the NIT, but that won't be enough to win 5 games in a row.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So, in essence, you’ve figured out how to lead the horse to water AND make him drink? Incredible.

I’m not defending Johnson, but the idea that all of the blame falls entirely on him is ridiculous. Nobody here knows what goes on in practice, or where the focus during the drills are. What we know is that the team lacks fundamental college level basketball skills, and that could be a combination of coaching and player retention and application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, 4 years into the CAJ era so the almost all of the blame is on him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would not be surprised to see Ingram go as a grad transfer IF he can graduate in May or over the summer. I also expect Reese, Smith and possibly Petty to transfer even though they’d have to sit out a year.

Giddens went through Sr Day so, I expect he is gone as well.

I just hope KL does not have any idea of going somewhere. If he did, next year our scholarship players would be Mack, Jones, Davis-Fleming coming off of a knee injury and Diante Wood along with our 3 incoming recruits. If we fire Avery, we might lose some of the incoming recruits.
Why do you expect Reese, Smith and Petty to transfer. Is that a feeling or do you have you heard some grumblings?

They explained that Giddens and Ingram both participated in Senior Day because they had graduated and this is the new way they are doing it. He could be gone but........

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ken Pom has us getting through UNC before getting knocked out in the elite 8. That would actually not be a bad year.
But are you getting what you paid for? That's the real question.... will AU get it's money's worth.....

Yep, pretty bitter....sorry....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.