The federal spending rant... - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: The federal spending thread

I worked with a lady who was in Haiti after the earthquake. I don't recall which agency she was with at the time (USAID, maybe), but their job was basically to flood the country with cash in an attempt to help the local populace. If you had something to sell, they would buy it. Local merchants brought in truckloads of anything (lumber, gravel, food) to the American base in exchange for cash.

It didn't take long for others to notice and they waited just outside the base to mug (and sometimes murder) their fellow Haitians as they exited American protection with the equivalent of many months salary in their pockets.

No one does unintended consequences like the government does unintended consequences.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Yeah, there's over $25,000 worth of iPads and $10,000 worth of toner sitting in their unopened boxes (going on year 2) right down the hall from my office. Did I mention the lease agreement we have with the copier company has toner accounted for in the lease? But here we are.
    Oh, yeah. That kind of stupidity is extremely common. Seen it first hand many times. The government loves to warehouse computers and related equipment.

I don't think it's even debatable that our government has a major problem with wasteful spending. It makes absolutely ZERO fiscal sense to focus more on and put as a higher priority bringing in more money rather than addressing the spending. One is treating a symptom, the other is actually treating the problem. By focusing on the symptom, we as a society are basically admitting that we are completely okay with politicians being fiscally irresponsible with our money and are completely okay with when they run out of money to fund their fiscal irresponsibility. To go back to "Daddy" and forcibly get more. I'm not saying the tax brackets, loopsholes etc. don't need to be addressed with regard to the uber rich. But I think they (and their money) are being looked at as the only acceptable solution. Which is lazy, irresponsible and scary at the same time. As Brad (crimsonaudio) has stated in another thread, government can be and has been vicious in their dealings when they decide to go get what they want.
    Well, one would think wouldn't be debatable, but does anyone really talk about cutting spending? Most don't understand the magnitude of the waste and fraud. And for many it's more important to have more and more progressive taxation (and, therefore, waste more and more money) so they can scratch that class jealousy itch.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

This is an extreme example, but the more mundane activity of requirement creep and cost explosion and delivery delay is pretty common.

Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Two bit tinhorn government managers need to be made accountable for their incompetence somehow.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Oh, yeah. That kind of stupidity is extremely common. Seen it first hand many times. The government loves to warehouse computers and related equipment.

Well, one would think wouldn't be debatable, but does anyone really talk about cutting spending? Most don't understand the magnitude of the waste and fraud. And for many it's more important to have more and more progressive taxation (and, therefore, waste more and more money) so they can scratch that class jealousy itch.
    Yep, it's a lot easier to simply raise taxes than to fix a culture. Which is exactly what it would take to fix the spending problem that has long been a problem within our government. I'll add to our stories of government waste examples. In the relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina, a local small business owner of a crawfish and catering company contracted with the federal government to serve meals out of a concession style trailer in and around the New Orleans area. The contract that someone within our government approved was to pay him $100 PER PLATE for three meals a day, for a year. And brother, he wasn't serving steak and lobster. The meals consisted of sandwiches, chips and a drink for lunch and other very cheap items for breakfast and supper. He left here a very middle class individual and came back a multi-multi millionaire from the taxpayers being charged $100 per plate.

But as we've talked about, there's no genuine interest or care to fix spending from those who are standing at the doorstep of the rich wanting more. Like I said, it doesn't take much effort to sign into law new and higher taxes. But you see, the real reason why no politician wants to fix spending is because in doing so, the perks they are getting would be at risk as well. That's the REAL reason no one within government really wants to talk about cleaning up our spending. Their gravy train would be in danger of being cut. So ole messed up sloppy haired Bernie can scream and yell all he wants about his care for the economically marginalized. But all Bernie's doing (and others like him) is creating a distraction to ensure no one starts looking at the real problem, his taxpayer funded gravy train.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; February 14th, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Because, it's just other people's money.
    FIFY
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I need to un-thank Bodhi for starting this thread; I'm about to puke!

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I need to un-thank Bodhi for starting this thread; I'm about to puke!
    Sorry, man. It's just the sad reality.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Two bit tinhorn government managers need to be made accountable for their incompetence somehow.
    There is certainly a lot of this. But, the bigger problem is the nature of government bureaucracy. It's a Rube Goldberg machine where each step is its own fiefdom of inefficiency.

The dozen systems I work on are 1990s technology (not blue). So, they are as broken as one would imagine 25-year old systems would be. Also, Internet connectivity is Third World quality. The Internet is down at least two hours a day and sometimes all day.

Regarding the antiquated systems ... I only got access to these systems last week, so my first three months here I could do nothing productive. (These delays in getting the ability to do my job have existed every place I've been in the government and have matched the experiences of everyone I've talked to about this.)

To get access to some of these systems I had to sign various forms, which then make their way through the various fiefdoms for signature. Funny thing is that some "smart" person (in an attempt to make things go faster) put a time limit on the system user (me, in this case) to get all signatures. Except neither I nor anyone else have any leverage over any of these far-flung fiefdoms to make them move at a decent pace. Did this "solution" help? Of course not. I had to sign and send in the forms four times before the last signature was finally captured within this artificial time limit.

And on and on.

People should want a lot less of this, not more.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; February 14th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

It's REALLY easy to spend other people's money. It's much harder to spend unwisely when you have real skin in the game.

There's no getting past that.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

Re: Bodhi's federal spending rant...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Yeah, there's over $25,000 worth of iPads and $10,000 worth of toner sitting in their unopened boxes (going on year 2) right down the hall from my office. Did I mention the lease agreement we have with the copier company has toner accounted for in the lease? But here we are.
    This if doubly bad....toner has an expiration date. So itís gonna go bad an no one is going to be able to use it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Re: Bodhi's federal spending rant...

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    This if doubly bad....toner has an expiration date. So it’s gonna go bad an no one is going to be able to use it.
    They must have changed something in the composition because I used an old HP LaserJet for at least 8 years from 1994-2002 and I don't think I ever changed out the toner. I very seldom printed, but that thing was bulletproof and would have lasted forever, if parallel ports had continued to be standard.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I guess NBC discontinued this series but I always enjoyed it knwing someone was trying to bring attention to wasted tax dollars.

Brokaw started it - then Williams revived it....then it was gone.

FWIW, the report is a little old, and the airport seems to be more successful these days. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MidAme...and_operations

Still could be a bust I suppose. But it sounds more like a bet on future air travel needs that didn't work out due to factors that couldn't have been foreseen. That happens with private sector projects as well. Also a better example of local and state misspending than bungling by the feds, since I don't see anything suggesting that federal tax dollars were spent on this.