The federal spending rant... - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: The federal spending thread

My daughter and I moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in October. My wife will be in Virginia another month fulfilling her contract, but she submitted her paperwork for her Florida license when we moved here. She's still waiting on the state to process her paperwork. The process is so slow that she's had to re-do her fingerprints. Why? Because the rule is that the prints can't be more than three months old .... because one's fingerprints are constantly evolving, I guess. In another week or two she'll have to do them again at additional expense. My wife will call, talk to one bureaucrat, and is told all her paperwork is in and the issuance of the license is imminent. When nothing happens she'll call, talk to a different bureaucrat, and is told she's missing some document (that she has proof she already submitted). Approaching six months of this nonsense. If this goes on much longer she'll have to decide whether to stay where she is and keep working or move down here and not work for a to be determined length of time.

After getting off the phone recently with another bureaucrat, she asked me in frustration, "Why are these people so stupid?" I told her that it's the government, and the people who run it are stupid because they can be without repercussions.

It's not as bad as some states, however. A colleague of hers once applied for a nursing license in Massachusetts. It took her a year to have them process the paperwork.

Government is awesome. We should have more of it.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My daughter and I moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in October. My wife will be in Virginia another month fulfilling her contract, but she submitted her paperwork for her Florida license when we moved here. She's still waiting on the state to process her paperwork. The process is so slow that she's had to re-do her fingerprints. Why? Because the rule is that the prints can't be more than three months old .... because one's fingerprints are constantly evolving, I guess. In another week or two she'll have to do them again at additional expense. My wife will call, talk to one bureaucrat, and is told all her paperwork is in and the issuance of the license is imminent. When nothing happens she'll call, talk to a different bureaucrat, and is told she's missing some document (that she has proof she already submitted). Approaching six months of this nonsense. If this goes on much longer she'll have to decide whether to stay where she is and keep working or move down here and not work for a to be determined length of time.

After getting off the phone recently with another bureaucrat, she asked me in frustration, "Why are these people so stupid?" I told her that it's the government, and the people who run it are stupid because they can be without repercussions.

It's not as bad as some states, however. A colleague of hers once applied for a nursing license in Massachusetts. It took her a year to have them process the paperwork.

Government is awesome. We should have more of it.
    This is how it was in CA for me, except most of the time I couldn't even get an idiot on the phone.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    This is how it was in CA for me, except most of the time I couldn't even get an idiot on the phone.
    There is also a vast chasm in the ages of - and precision - of fingerprint-capture devices. My wife's application for reinstatement of her Alabama teacher's certificate was held up because "she had no fingerprints," the theory being she'd worn them off gardening. We were apprehensive last year when we applied for the TSA PreCheck program, for that reason. The girl who took her prints, with the latest equipment, just laughed and referred to the State's equipment as "that old junk." No problem at all...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    There is also a vast chasm in the ages of - and precision - of fingerprint-capture devices. My wife's application for reinstatement of her Alabama teacher's certificate was held up because "she had no fingerprints," the theory being she'd worn them off gardening. We were apprehensive last year when we applied for the TSA PreCheck program, for that reason. The girl who took her prints, with the latest equipment, just laughed and referred to the State's equipment as "that old junk." No problem at all...
    So not really adermatoglyphia, just poor equipment?

Both IL and CA use cards. These have to be done at certain law enforcement centers then mailed. With OR I went to Kinko's and used a machine that took just a few minutes.

AL and OR only took a couple of weeks. IL took 2 months. I thought that was a long time until CA took 7 to issue the basics and another 2 years to have everything in order.

I think I've mentioned previously that they admitted to having unopened mail for one year and having to hire 40 people just to sort through it (not related directly to me). Took them 18 months to approve our change of ownership and that took getting our local state rep involved.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    So not really adermatoglyphia, just poor equipment?

Both IL and CA use cards. These have to be done at certain law enforcement centers then mailed. With OR I went to Kinko's and used a machine that took just a few minutes.

AL and OR only took a couple of weeks. IL took 2 months. I thought that was a long time until CA took 7 to issue the basics and another 2 years to have everything in order.

I think I've mentioned previously that they admitted to having unopened mail for one year and having to hire 40 people just to sort through it (not related directly to me). Took them 18 months to approve our change of ownership and that took getting our local state rep involved.
    Probably more like ancient equipment. Bureaucracy is the same the world over. In the process of my daughter's attempting to get her French carte de séjour, (green card equivalent and the gateway to health insurance) the pile of requested documents kept getting thicker and thicker. (Amazingly, in a country like France, with a highly-centralized government, the exact requirements are set by what would here be a county official or even a clerk.) They avoided getting their lawyer involved because my daughter, a lawyer herself, feared it would antagonize them. Finally, they submitted their last docs and copied their lawyer. The app sailed through. Their attorney said, roughly translated, "This is France. Nothing here gets done without agitation."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

After an audit, it has been determined the government cannot account for more than $2,000,000,000 of government property.

Also, FEMA has lost the PII of more than a million people.

Good job! Let's have more!
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

After an audit, it has been determined the government cannot account for more than $2,000,000,000 of government property.

You can't have two threads for your tax/spending rant. Pick one...

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

If you would bring those government ink pens and paperclips back from your house, that figure would go way down!

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    If you would bring those government ink pens and paperclips back from your house, that figure would go way down!
    Well, ok. But, I'm keeping the packs of sticky notes. I feel entitled to them.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Actually, this is just for one program. It's lost F-35 property.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Just saw a SIGAR report this morning ..... So, there are some contractors working with the Army Corps of Engineers on various reconstruction projects in Afghanistan. Afghan National Defense Security Forces detained the contractors and stole $1.3M worth of equipment intended for the aforementioned reconstruction. Nice way to show their appreciation.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar

Well, ok. But, I'm keeping the packs of sticky notes. I feel entitled to them.
    All the pens are probably red anyway...

Re: The federal spending rant...

Arrived at work this morning to a work crew tearing off the roof of our building. This total roof replacement is for a leak that occurred ...... four years ago. I wonder if a total roof replacement is more expensive than patching a roof. Also, one of our auxiliary buildings will have to be demolished and rebuilt because the water damage was allowed to go on so long. I wonder if a total building replacement is more expensive than patching a roof. Eh, it's just taxpayer money.

It's also been raining all morning, so we have rain pouring in various places in the building due to the renovation. I guess it's worth it though. If they don't do it now, we may have to wait another four years.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)