The federal spending rant... - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: The federal spending rant...

They're moving me into a new office at work, and I requested a new desk, since the existing one wouldn't function for my needs. It took 3 months for the required paperwork and approval to switch various hands, another month to get the desk supplier out to actually measure the space, and it'll probably be two more months before the thing is actually delivered and I can finally move in. I'm told there is a large warehouse called the "furniture graveyard" where the existing desk will be sent, and that these items are essentially never moved back into use. I don't work at a government hospital.

Government is hardly the only inefficient creature in our system, and it's a bit amusing that you seem to think private business is the panacea to wasteful spending and inefficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    They're moving me into a new office at work, and I requested a new desk, since the existing one wouldn't function for my needs. It took 3 months for the required paperwork and approval to switch various hands, another month to get the desk supplier out to actually measure the space, and it'll probably be two more months before the thing is actually delivered and I can finally move in. I'm told there is a large warehouse called the "furniture graveyard" where the existing desk will be sent, and that these items are essentially never moved back into use. I don't work at a government hospital.

Government is hardly the only inefficient creature in our system, and it's a bit amusing that you seem to think private business is the panacea to wasteful spending and inefficiency.
    it's like festivus all year long
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    it's like festivus all year long
    I'm just happy the mods have instituted the Bodhi rule to keep his favorite rant confined to a single place.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

There is inefficiency, and then there is government inefficiency, which is not in the same ballpark. But, it is a bit amusing you willfully gloss over hundreds of billions (if not trillions) in waste.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There is inefficiency, and then there is government inefficiency, which is not in the same ballpark. But, it is a bit amusing you willfully gloss over hundreds of billions (if not trillions) in waste.
    A trillion here, a trillion there...a little debt is ok, right?

I'll take solace in the first part of your statement, which shows some level of self-awareness that I applaud. The second half is, of course, an entirely baseless and false strawman, but that's par for course when someone challenges you.

If there's not a d-bag of the year award, there should be:

USAID Contractor Steals Funds from Babies

The former deputy executive director of a South African research institute has been sentenced to seven months in prison for a scheme that defrauded the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of grant funds meant to be used on a mobile device application to aid safer childbirths.

Eugene Sickle pleaded guilty to stealing grant funds from USAID to personally enrich himself and an associate. Sickle, who administered grant funds, signed a contract with Alzar Consulting Services Ltd. to develop the app. The institute’s chief executive officer, Sickle, and the supposed director of Alzar (“Dr. Carla Das Neves”) signed the contract, and Alzar was paid over $206,000.

However, it was later uncovered that Sickle created Alzar in the British Virgin Islands and was the sole owner of the company. Furthermore, Das Neves did not exist. Sickle created fake email accounts, a fake LinkedIn page, and additional fake employees to conceal the scheme, and signed the app contract as both himself and Das Neves.

Subsequently, no one developed the app or performed any work required under the contract.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Eugene Sickle
    Sounds like a Bond villain. We should have known.

I'll take solace in the first part of your statement, which shows some level of self-awareness that I applaud. The second half is, of course, an entirely baseless and false strawman, but that's par for course when someone challenges you.
    The strawman is yours, since I have never said that anything Man creates is without inefficiency. If you understood anything about how government works, you would know that government is more inefficient by a factor of multitudes. Trying to draw equivalencies is dishonest.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; April 2nd, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Sounds like a Bond villain. We should have known.
    Ha! That it does.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

If there's not a d-bag of the year award, there should be:

USAID Contractor Steals Funds from Babies

The former deputy executive director of a South African research institute has been sentenced to seven months in prison for a scheme that defrauded the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of grant funds meant to be used on a mobile device application to aid safer childbirths.

Eugene Sickle pleaded guilty to stealing grant funds from USAID to personally enrich himself and an associate. Sickle, who administered grant funds, signed a contract with Alzar Consulting Services Ltd. to develop the app. The institute’s chief executive officer, Sickle, and the supposed director of Alzar (“Dr. Carla Das Neves”) signed the contract, and Alzar was paid over $206,000.

However, it was later uncovered that Sickle created Alzar in the British Virgin Islands and was the sole owner of the company. Furthermore, Das Neves did not exist. Sickle created fake email accounts, a fake LinkedIn page, and additional fake employees to conceal the scheme, and signed the app contract as both himself and Das Neves.

Subsequently, no one developed the app or performed any work required under the contract.
    I keep waiting for the Clinton Foundation to pop up in these discussions for their full disclosure and immeasurable honesty in their Haiti dealings with US relief funds.

Re: The federal spending thread

Well, we have no working printers in the entire building. Seems that maintenance was no part of the contract, and over the last year or so they have been going down one by one. No worries. We can print to another building that's 20 minutes away. Left early today to get my docs off the printer. They are in my car now, and I will take them to my desk when I get back to work in the morning.
    We have toner! We have toner! And it only took 28 days. All of the printers that need maintenance are still down, but we have one working printer in the building now. Glory! The acquisition of toner happened with cat-like quickness ... if said cat was a snail.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

I assume your business is not funded by tax dollars, which is all the difference in the world. If a privately held company wishes to be inefficient, that's their prerogative. There's no excuse for the government to be wasteful and / or inefficient with our tax dollars, other than the fact that they can be because we allow it.

Just as the business owner allows (or disallows / addresses) inefficiencies in his own business.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius