How would you rank the top 10 college football programs of all-time? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: How would you rank the top 10 college football programs of all-time?

In all honesty, this board is probably not the most objective place to rank the all time best programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebet View Post
    You got me curious so I looked it up in
    http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/...&se=on&by=Wins

and in wins before 1960, Penn State is 17th with 382, Alabama 18th with 381. So Penn State would have had some very good teams before 1960.

According to: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...onship-history they have national titles in 1911 and 1912.
    I understand what you are saying, except that Penn State was a relative nobody until JoePa. In 1973 I believe , PSU went undefeated, 11-0 or 12- 0 and could only manage to get to #5 in the rankings. The early seventies built the Penn St brand into what it is today. Even today, what is it? They haven’t won anything since really the 1980’s and at the very latest 1994. BTW, PSU went to 3 bowl games before 1960 and winning one. That being the 1959 Liberty bowl 7-0 over Alabama.

ALABAMA started playing football in 1892, Penn st in 1887 . Plus, Alabama was terrible at football until about 1908 or 1910 or so. I don’t we had a winning season until 1906 .
    Last edited by bamaga; February 18th, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    That’s how I understood your post. Not how they would fare in a power 5 conference, but how they have fared historically at their level of competition.

Biased, but my top programs -
    True Blue Bloods

ALABAMA
    OKLAHOMA
    USC
    OHIO STATE
    NOTRE DAME
    NEBRASKA
    MICHIGAN
    TEXAS

NEXT TIER

PENN ST
    MIAMI
    FSU
    AUBURN
    FLORIDA
    UT
    Etc.
    awbern?!? You totally whiffed on that one...

They won NCs in 1957 and 2010. 1957 they were on probation for recruiting violations, so they used players that they had acquired by cheating. 2010 is well documented...
    Last edited by NoNC4Tubs; February 18th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by editder View Post
    I agree that they shouldn't be on the list. IMO there are only 8 blue blood teams:

Alabama
    Notre Dame
    USC
    Ohio State
    Oklahoma
    Michigan
    Texas
    Nebraska

To qualify for my list, a team must have had powerhouses in multiple eras dating back to at least the 20s or 30s. This rules out teams like LSU, Penn State, FSU, Florida, and Miami, the last three of which only date back to the early 80s as powerhouse programs. Penn State dates to the early 60s I believe, and LSU dates to a few years earlier. If they continue to win over a few more decades they could make the list.

They also must have remained powerful pretty much down to the present day. If we were running this drill in the early 60s, I would have had Minnesota on the list, so obviously a team can't remain dormant for too long and continue to be a blue blood.
    Using your own standards, both Oklahoma and Nebraska should be excluded. OU was not a national power until the 50s and Nebraska not until the 60s.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 18th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

1. Bama (admitted bias but I dont care)
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Ohio State
    4. USC
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Nebraska
    7. Texas
    8. Tennessee
    9. Florida
    10 tie miami/FSU

Michigan just doesn't belong on this list.

Most wins ever but still have a losing record to Ohio state who they play every year and haven't beaten in a generation at this,point, and a stunning lack of national titles in thr,modern era, undefeated seasons or post season awards, and havr been only a marginal program since Eisenhower was president

They are auburn with snow. But aubies won a naty in this millennium
    Last edited by TheRealPokeChop; February 18th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    1. Bama (admitted bias but I dont care)
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Ohio State
    4. USC
    5. Notre Dame
    6. Nebraska
    7. Texas
    8. Tennessee
    9. Florida
    10 tie miami/FSU

Michigan just doesn't belong on this list.

Most wins ever but still have a losing record to Ohio state who they play every year and haven't beaten in a generation
    Michigan owns the series by like 7 games. If you are talking about the last 20 years then Iíll remind you Auburn fans my age for years pointed out that Auburn owned Alabama from 1981 to just recently. Point is I donít think using that kind of span to justify why a team is better than the other is wise especially when we donít let teams like Auburn use it against us.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    And where did I say anything about NDSU being on a competitive level as Bama?
    You brought bama into it with your fl st comment.....

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wakecrash View Post
    You brought bama into it with your fl st comment.....
    When you decided to say in season rankings donít matter, and I basically said ď if you believe that then you must believe that FSUís ranking vs Bama didnít matter eitherĒ.

So no I never said anything close to NDSU being on a competitive level as Alabama....
    Last edited by 81usaf92; February 19th, 2019 at 01:49 AM.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    The 'all time' thing makes this very difficult to do. Miami and Florida have no business on an 'all time' list. School like Army and Yale should most likely be on any list like this.

rtr
    Couldn't agree more with this. I'm almost 60 years old, so in my lifetime (not even close to spanning a major chunk of college football history, btw) teams like Florida, Florida State, and Miami are newbies to the process. Florida didn't even win an SEC title until the mid 80's and that one was vacated by probation. Their real status as a football power didn't come along until 1990 with SOS. Maybe in the last 30-40 years, those guys have scratched their way into the picture, but they are still on the horizon unless the window begins after college football's first 100 years.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I didn't bring up NDSU and Mount Union from a standpoint of competing with those programs head to head. I agree with your comments especially if they had to play a full P5 schedule with their current rosters. I was just commenting on the success of the programs. Once you get outside the top 5 you are having a hard time finding a team without flaws. They could play that role from the standpoint of long term success at their level (NDSU at 2 levels). Both runs are incredible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If North Dakota State were to move up, they would be the new Boise State. They would win the Mountain West Conference and occasionally upset the one good team they would play. I honestly think they should stay right where they are. The get enough national exposure dominating the FCS. What they have done is unreal and impressive.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    If North Dakota State were to move up, they would be the new Boise State. They would win the Mountain West Conference and occasionally upset the one good team they would play. I honestly think they should stay right where they are. The get enough national exposure dominating the FCS. What they have done is unreal and impressive.
    They currently play in a dome owned by the city that only seats 18,500 for football. The city doesn't need a bigger facility and not sure the state would allow the school to build another indoor facility elsewhere on campus. That also could limit them from moving up.

The issue with the Mountain West is the closest schools (Wyoming and Colorado State) are 800 miles away and in the opposite direction of their recruiting footprint. Most are much further. That would be like Alabama being in a conference with the closest teams being Nebraska, Michigan State, and Maryland. Geography is not their friend. The MAC is better with Northern Illinois being 600 miles but you still have Akron at 1000 miles and Buffalo at 1200 miles.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    They currently play in a dome owned by the city that only seats 18,500 for football. The city doesn't need a bigger facility and not sure the state would allow the school to build another indoor facility elsewhere on campus. That also could limit them from moving up.

The issue with the Mountain West is the closest schools (Wyoming and Colorado State) are 800 miles away and in the opposite direction of their recruiting footprint. Most are much further. That would be like Alabama being in a conference with the closest teams being Nebraska, Michigan State, and Maryland. Geography is not their friend. The MAC is better with Northern Illinois being 600 miles but you still have Akron at 1000 miles and Buffalo at 1200 miles.

Geography and demographics are real problems for a school/team like NDSU.

It's a problem for teams like Colorado and Utah and other PAC12 teams. The smaller schools have it even worse. Everything is the west is stretched far and wide.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Geography and demographics are real problems for a school/team like NDSU.

It's a problem for teams like Colorado and Utah and other PAC12 teams. The smaller schools have it even worse. Everything is the west is stretched far and wide.
    Those are also schools with significantly bigger budgets in Power 5 conferences. NDSU would have to build a new stadium on their own, double their operating budget (largely coaches salaries), and instead of playing for championships they would be playing for bowl spots in Boise and Detroit. That doesn't excite the alumni base. I wouldn't put the university or athletic department on the same level as the P5 public schools so don't ever see them going that route. They could be like Boise or UCF but that's where geography coffees into play again.

If NCAA went to a 16 or 32 team playoff where they would have a legitimate chance to make that playoff or G5 has their own playoff then it might be more interesting.

Fortunately their conference is still challenging and most years 2 or 3 of their playoff games are very competitive so nothing is guaranteed.

Based on how thinks are structured now the most logical choice is to stay where they are. But that landscape could change.