How would you rank the top 10 college football programs of all-time? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: How would you rank the top 10 college football programs of all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    In all honesty, this board is probably not the most objective place to rank the all time best programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bama fans can't be objective about Bama, but here's the thing, if any fanbase's discussion board had this same discussion, Bama would be on everybody else's list. IOW, we are about the only school that everybody has to admit is a blueblood with no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    awbern?!? You totally whiffed on that one...

They won NCs in 1957 and 2010. 1957 they were on probation for recruiting violations, so they used players that they had acquired by cheating. 2010 is well documented...
    And they weren't even "Auburn" in '57. They were API!

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    No problem there. It's a subjective list. That was one of the top dynasties of all time. If we were ranking those they'd be up there on my list, though with some reluctance considering how it was achieved.

My two problems with Miami are

1. All their NC's are within a 20 year window and that's it

2. Their win percentage is 0.63 with 622 wins all time, more than 200 less than UTe (the fewest on the list - both Princeton and Yale have more wins and win % than Miami)

Just stating my reasoning for keeping them off my list.
    Before Schnellenburger ( sp? ) showed up The U was about to drop football. The phrase all time makes this list problematic for a program like OU which didnt get rolling until after WW2. Some say the modern era started with the AP poll ( 1936 ). Some say after WW2 (1946 ). I have always thought Nebraska and TOSU were tied at 5th with the others in the top 4 being Ala., ND, SC, and OU...not in any particular order, although the Saban era would seem to me to have catapulted the Tide to #1. Every school has had it's down periods. Its consistency that sets the elite apart.

BamaNation Second Team

Totally agree Owen. I think the elite schools should be competing for a national title at least once in every decade for not just a few decades either.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

awbern?!? You totally whiffed on that one...

They won NCs in 1957 and 2010. 1957 they were on probation for recruiting violations, so they used players that they had acquired by cheating. 2010 is well documented...
    Now quick.....tell me about Oklahoma's national championships on probation in 1955, 1956, and 1974......the first involved illegal tuition payments and the second involved an assistant falsifying a player's transcript

And then they got hit with a probation in 1988 for violations from 1980 to 1987, which would include (wait for it)....1985

So using your own standard, how can OU be one of the top programs of all-time?

Let me be clear: OU IS one of the 4-5 best programs. But let's not be ripping on Auburn ("oh, their titles don't count because they cheated" and then lift up Oklahoma, who got hit with probation for 4 of their 7 titles).

Auburn is not a top ten all-time program.

They ARE correctly rated just below that in the 10-20 range. 13th in wins, 18th in pct, and as many SEC titles as Florida
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Now quick.....tell me about Oklahoma's national championships on probation in 1955, 1956, and 1974......the first involved illegal tuition payments and the second involved an assistant falsifying a player's transcript

And then they got hit with a probation in 1988 for violations from 1980 to 1987, which would include (wait for it)....1985

Let me be clear: OU IS one of the 4-5 best programs. But let's not be ripping on Auburn ("oh, their titles don't count because they cheated" and then lift up Oklahoma, who got hit with probation for 4 of their 7 titles).

They ARE correctly rated just below that in the 10-20 range. 13th in wins, 18th in pct, and as many SEC titles as Florida
    Good to have you back Selma!!!

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    Before Schnellenburger ( sp? ) showed up The U was about to drop football. The phrase all time makes this list problematic for a program like OU which didnt get rolling until after WW2. Some say the modern era started with the AP poll ( 1936 ). Some say after WW2 (1946 ). I have always thought Nebraska and TOSU were tied at 5th with the others in the top 4 being Ala., ND, SC, and OU...not in any particular order, although the Saban era would seem to me to have catapulted the Tide to #1. Every school has had it's down periods. Its consistency that sets the elite apart.
    I agree completely with the bolded.

Any good program can have a championship with a little luck. Few can sustain that and even fewer can sustain that over a long enough period to have a dynastic period and even fewer for long enough to be considered a blue blood or top 10 program.

There are eight or nine programs that are currently relevant and that have a combination of wins, win %, and championships to be considered "blue blood" top programs and all but one are in my top 8. UTe is just on the outside looking in, IMHO and for various reasons the pickings get much slimmer after that.

There is also the problem, as you mention, of different era's in college football. Some, like the IVY League school, dominated the first 80 years or so. Most present day top programs got their start from about 1900-1950, give or take. Michigan had more earlier championships followed by long droughts but still racked up enough wins to by #1 in that category. Even without the titles that take a lot of consistently good football to do that. Even among elite programs there are issues in consistency. Alabama and USC came to prominence at roughly the same time and have followed somewhat similar paths over nearly 100 years, with Alabama pulling away in the last 11 years or so.

If we split things into different era's I suspect everyone's lists would change substantially depending on the era. Very few teams would show up in multiple era's as a top 10 program. Those that would show up more often that not are those four or so top teams of all time. After that long term consistency falls off further and further as we go down the list.

I could break my list into groups of three with Bama, USC, and ND comprising the top tier and each group of three schools being comparable enough that you could place any of those three in any order but each would have a difficult time breaking out of that particular group of three. So Mich, OSU, and OU rankings could go in any order but it would be difficult to place any of those above ND. It would be difficult for UTw, UTe, or Neb to break into that group (4-6). PSU could legitimately be discussed in that group as well.

After that it becomes much more difficult to place teams in the next higher group and 10-20 or so there are a lot of good programs bunched together with lots of strong history and a lot of warts. Differentiating those teams into smaller groups becomes even more difficult and there is little reason to bump a higher ranked program for any of them. These are good programs with occasional greatness.

Enough rambling for now.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

The last time USC was relevant was 2002-2009. Prior to that it was the 70's.

I'm going to call nada on USC. They can have all their Heismans. I'll take NC's and SECC's.

PSU has been consistently much more relevant over a much longer period of time.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Let's be clear...awbern is NOT, nor ever will be a blue blood in CFB. Equestrian, yes. But not CFB...

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Let's be clear...awbern is NOT, nor ever will be a blue blood in CFB. Equestrian BOVINE, yes. But not CFB...
    FIFY

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    The last time USC was relevant was 2002-2009. Prior to that it was the 70's.

I'm going to call nada on USC. They can have all their Heismans. I'll take NC's and SECC's.

PSU has been consistently much more relevant over a much longer period of time.
    The case can be made for PSU to be anywhere from 5-10 (or just behind).

USC claims titles in the 1920's, '30's, and '60's to go with the '70's and aughts.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

The College Football Data Warehouse uses a formula of Winning Percentage, Schedule Points, National Championships, and Big 4 Bowls. Their Top 10 is:

1 Alabama
    2 Notre Dame (IN)
    3 Southern California
    4 Oklahoma
    5 Ohio St.
    6 Michigan
    7 Texas
    8 Nebraska
    9 Louisiana St.
    10 Tennessee
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebet View Post
    Totally agree Owen. I think the elite schools should be competing for a national title at least once in every decade for not just a few decades either.
    I think it would be difficult to produce 10 programs that meet that criteria, though. It's a top 10, not whatever definition of elite you want to use.

BamaNation First Team Quicksilver's Avatar

Winsipedia (http://winsipedia.com) ranks USC 1st, Alabama 2nd. Alabama doesn't show particularly well in such categories as Heisman Winners and Bowl Record. Naturally, I think that these are fluff categories compared to National Championships. My guess is that by the end of the Saban era, Alabama will rank #1 on the Winsipedia unweighted average list.