NASA's Opportunity Rover Mission on Mars Comes to End

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"I cannot think of a more appropriate place for Opportunity to endure on the surface of Mars than one called Perseverance Valley," said Michael Watkins, director of JPL. "The records, discoveries and sheer tenacity of this intrepid little rover is testament to the ingenuity, dedication, and perseverance of the people who built and guided her."

NASA's Opportunity Rover Mission on Mars Comes to End

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the post, Brad. Very significant story. I encourage everyone to read the linked article. I can't imagine the technology involved in all we accomplished with this program. Money well spent, for sure.

Here's the video from the article - just fascinating!

[video=youtube;1Ll-VHYxWXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=1Ll-VHYxWXU[/video]

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Remind me the expected lifespan on this thing when it launched. I know the other one died prematurely.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Remind me the expected lifespan on this thing when it launched. I know the other one died prematurely.
Expected lifespan of Opportunity was 90 sols - it lasted 5,353 sols (almost 60x the expected life span).

It was designed to cover roughly 1,000 meters during it's 90 day mission - it ended up covering an astonishing 45.16 kilometers...

Amazing engineering.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You say amazing engineering...what about the one that died early? ;-D (bluefont)

Expected lifespan of Opportunity was 90 sols - it lasted 5,353 sols (almost 60x the expected life span).

It was designed to cover roughly 1,000 meters during it's 90 day mission - it ended up covering an astonishing 45.16 kilometers...

Amazing engineering.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.