Link: Rivals got catfished with a fake recruit.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
https://www.barstoolsports.com/bars...ruiting-website-to-rank-him-a-3-star-prospect

High Schoolers Create Fake Recruit With Alabama Offer, Manti Teo's Recruiting Website To Rank Him A 3-Star Prospect

I’m on the record of being a big supporter of the current recruiting system. It may be a bit weird that grown men are analyzing everything about a group of high school boys, but those fellas are very good at what they do. Predicting the future is hard and the recruiting industry (247Sports, Rivals) are very good at it. No team has won a national championship in the 21st century without a roster that has more blue-chip recruits (4+ stars) than not.

There are flaws to the process, though. With thousands of kids needing to be rated, one can fall through the cracks:
It should be noted that 247 had a profile, but they did not rank him, and since their process is automated, they get a pass. Rivals looks silly as all get out over this.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It looks like “Carringer” claimed an offer from Syracuse back in November, judging by some of the account’s old Twitter mentions.
And no one that covers Syracuse (insert joke about people not caring about Syracuse football here) noticed this?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
247 is the standard. Scout hasn’t been good since the merger with ESPN (if they ever were) and Rivals, well, this thread speaks for itself.

IMO, do away with the composite. It’s classic GIGO.
247 bought Scout last year IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Rankings are largely based on who is recruiting the athlete. If a player gets offers from Alabama they are likely to get a higher ranking. Alabama doesn't recruit them because they are 4/5 star recruits. They are 4/5 star recruits because Alabama is offering them. It also has to do with what recruiting events they are attending. I heard of a player who was a 4 star recruit and committed early to a major school. He didn't attend one of the big recruiting showcases and without playing another snap since his ranking was last updated he was dropped to a 3 star.

Take the ratings with a grain of salt. They are manipulated by the rating services for marketing purposes. This article is a good example.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Rankings are largely based on who is recruiting the athlete. If a player gets offers from Alabama they are likely to get a higher ranking. Alabama doesn't recruit them because they are 4/5 star recruits. They are 4/5 star recruits because Alabama is offering them. It also has to do with what recruiting events they are attending. I heard of a player who was a 4 star recruit and committed early to a major school. He didn't attend one of the big recruiting showcases and without playing another snap since his ranking was last updated he was dropped to a 3 star.

Take the ratings with a grain of salt. They are manipulated by the rating services for marketing purposes. This article is a good example.
There is such thing as a "Bama bump", but a player does not become a 3 or 4 star player because he gets an offer. He becomes a 3 or 4 star player because he is fast, strong and talented relative to his peers. Now, if you are saying that the colleges do more work than these services in evaluating talent, then I agree. But the schools don't determine their ranking - their talent determines their rating.

The one exception is the player on a small school in an obscure part of the country. Everyone misses them unless their parents do a whole lot of extra work to get them recognition - schools, recruiting services - everyone. They could have 5 star talent and go completely unranked, even with film uploaded to HUDL.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

If you want any chance of winning a championship you better be siging a lot of 4* and 5* players. You can take it with a grain of salt at most places but the top 10 programs know they need a lot of these highly rated kids. While the services are not full proof they do let us know who we can expect to see in the play-off in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
If you want any chance of winning a championship you better be siging a lot of 4* and 5* players. You can take it with a grain of salt at most places but the top 10 programs know they need a lot of these highly rated kids. While the services are not full proof they do let us know who we can expect to see in the play-off in most cases.

The biggest part of that criteria is the school recruiting them. The good schools are likely recruiting better players but it's all a crap shoot. Alabama does a great job finding the best guys and evaluating talent effectively. Their top recruits are 4 and 5 star largely because Alabama had made them top targets because they are good at evaluating talent. The rating services don't rate the players before the schools look at them and then the schools target the 4 and 5 star rated players.

Last edited by a moderator:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The biggest part of that criteria is the school recruiting them. The good schools are likely recruiting better players but it's all a crap shoot. Alabama does a great job finding the best guys and evaluating talent effectively. Their top recruits are 4 and 5 star largely because Alabama had made them top targets because they are good at evaluating talent. The rating services don't rate the players before the schools look at them and then the schools target the 4 and 5 star rated players.

I don't think you are giving the services enough credit. While they are not as good as the top programs in evaluating they spend a lot of money and effort in their evaluations. I know they are fan based companies but most are good at what they do.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't think you are giving the services enough credit. While they are not as good as the top programs in evaluating they spend a lot of money and effort in their evaluations. I know they are fan based companies but most are good at what they do.
Agree! They have evaluators on staff at these magazines now websites that supposedly talk to these kids, coaches and families of players . They are suppose to go out and watch games or at least watch film on a kid, that is what the subscription and advertising money is suppose to go toward. Otherwise, someone like Jam can just come up with an algorithm that weighs where a college finishes in a conference, how good is that conference and which of those schools offer a kid. Or some bull spit like that( in my best Adam Sandler voice) .

Actually, I’m sure some of the latter factors into the rating of a kid!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.