Do women no longer like getting Valentines in the workplace?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
First off, my wife and I will be married 18 years this year, been together 21 years (dated three yrs). So I've been out of the dating game for a LOOOOOONG time. But "back in the day" and as long as I can remember, on Valentines Day offices and workplaces all over would have flowers and deliveries all day from men sending their special someone something at work.

However, it seems that is no longer a big deal. In my office not ONE woman has had anything delivered to them and hasn't in the three years I've worked here. Literally, NOT ONE. There's over 20 people in my department alone and 18 of them are women. I've noticed the same thing around the property in other departments. My wife is a school teacher and I went to see her at lunch to look at the flowers I had delivered and to just say "hey". She was in the teachers' lounge eating lunch with about eight other teachers. None of them received anything. All were married. My wife told me she is one of about three women in the entire school who get anything each year.

I fully realize just because someone doesn't have anything delivered to work, it doesn't mean they aren't doing something with their significant other that night. I was just wondering if workplace Valentine deliveries are no longer "in" and it's another thing about my life that is "out of style"? LOL!

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Speaking as a 28 year old guy that will be married three years in June, my wife doesn't care for the delivery of the flowers because of the cost. She would rather me get some from the store for $20 than have some delivered for $50+.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Flowers are being delivered somewhere. FedEx adds special flights from South America loaded with flowers.

Big business for UPS as well: https://www.smartbrief.com/s/2019/02/ups-gears-valentines-day

UPS will deliver more than 89 million flowers this Valentine's Day, the carrier's second-busiest day of the year. "Our aircraft has air-temperature control to make sure the flowers stay at their utmost freshness for our customers," said spokeswoman Becca Hunnicutt.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Flowers are being delivered somewhere. FedEx adds special flights from South America loaded with flowers.

Big business for UPS as well: https://www.smartbrief.com/s/2019/02/ups-gears-valentines-day
Makes sense about the flights because the demand is higher. How the flowers are bought is different today, though. Pay the florist to deliver or pick some up from the store on the way home?

Then, there are the online companies that use UPS and others. Those orders are probably going to a residence more than they are a workplace.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Only one of the three girls at my office has a husband. The other two are single for a reason.

The husband sent candy yesterday because she was off today.

Smart guy. I saw the reaction.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Makes sense about the flights because the demand is higher. How the flowers are bought is different today, though. Pay the florist to deliver or pick some up from the store on the way home?

Then, there are the online companies that use UPS and others. Those orders are probably going to a residence more than they are a workplace.
Probably right. Also, I'm sure the online companies are gaining a large portion of market share over florist deliveries; so, the delivery business increases for FedEx, UPS, etc.. even if overall demand is steady or dropping.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It makes sense. How the "younger folks" date and "relationship" today. I can easily see how it is not appealing to them.
I have two daughters, aged 30 and 35. I never talk with them, the only communication is when they text me wanting me to put money in their checking accounts. They are not nearly as bad as they used to be. You are correct though how "younger folks" and "relationships" work has changed the landscape of how all things work.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It makes sense. How the "younger folks" date and "relationship" today. I can easily see how it is not appealing to them.
we have never celebrated valentines day at all. been together 14 years (married 10). however, we now are having to acknowledge the holiday because my daughter has to make valentines to take to school.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I have two daughters, aged 30 and 35. I never talk with them, the only communication is when they text me wanting me to put money in their checking accounts. They are not nearly as bad as they used to be. You are correct though how "younger folks" and "relationships" work has changed the landscape of how all things work.
You mean like this? I'm so glad I'm not in the dating scene. I couldn't survive.

https://www.bolde.com/dating-millennial-screwed/

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
we have never celebrated valentines day at all. been together 14 years (married 10). however, we now are having to acknowledge the holiday because my daughter has to make valentines to take to school.
We're about the same. Been married for 9 years and have never really made a big deal of Valentines day. We did absolutely nothing this year. It's basically a hallmark and chocolate candy company holiday. Hey, buy this $5 hallmark card that cost us 10 cents to make and buy this heart shape candy box for $20 that has $5 worth of regular candy it in. Yea, hard pass..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
There's always been some people (like yourself and some others I know) who didn't celebrate Valentines even "back in the day". It just seems now the way it has traditionally been celebrated has gone or is going the way of the rotary phone. I used to love to dial the zero. I always thought the sound of the rotary dial was cool. Oh the simple things in life...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There's always been some people (like yourself and some others I know) who didn't celebrate Valentines even "back in the day". It just seems now the way it has traditionally been celebrated has gone or is going the way of the rotary phone. I used to love to dial the zero. I always thought the sound of the rotary dial was cool. Oh the simple things in life...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
There weren't many deliveries at my work and my office is pretty big. I remember a long time ago we had tables and tables of deliveries. It must not be a big thing anymore.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
"Romance" is really not "en vogue" I guess you could say. Most women under 40 don't want to be "swept off their feet" unless they are Disneyphiles who are in search for their Prince Charming.

My wife expects romance -- and I enjoy making her happy.....

Isn't that really what finding a partner for life is all about? If not -- why do it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.