Green New Deal

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is all just a ploy to make somebody rich - only thing is, no one has ever been able to tell me who, specifically, was going to get rich by addressing climate change, or if said unknown people getting rich was somehow worse than the financial and ecological rape we are experiencing at the hands of multinational corporations now, who have been making ever increasing profits for years.
I’ll probably be dead and gone before anyone comes up with a reasonable and legitimate answer. Oh, wait - HILLARY! LEFIST DEMOCRATS! Sorry, I forgot....

https://apple.news/AdvwmGtkfT5W2AyENhun5kg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This seems as good a place as any...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-...caYNnnkcK-QXjiGyWyK8zvlor0XZJkFcvWMN0K82plpmk

94-year old Lithium-Ion battery inventor unveils new ultra-efficient glass battery

[FONT=open_sans]The new battery uses a sodium- or lithium-coated glass electrolyte that has triple the storage capacity of a lithium ion battery. It also charges in minutes instead of hours and operates in both frigid and hot weather (from -20 to 60 degrees centigrade). Early tests suggest the battery is capable of at least 1,200 charge-discharge cycles, significantly more charging cycles than a comparable lithium-ion battery, and best of all, the glass-based electrolyte will not form the dendrites that plague lithium-ion battery technology. The dendrites accumulate as part of the standard charging and recharging cycle and eventually cause a short circuit that often results in a smoldering or burning battery.[/FONT]
We can't be far from dilithium crystals.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
One thing to keep in mind about todays nuclear plants, all the 'pollution', the nuclear waste, can be captured/sequestered on site. The pollution from fossil fueled plants cant yet be captured/sequestered and enters the atmosphere where it does its damage. While fission has its problems, it is preferable to fossil fuel.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
What happens then to our smoke stack industries? Where do all of those people find jobs? and what about all the spin-off jobs from those communities?

Where is all the money to fund all of these initiatives going to come from? We have over $20 trillion of operating debt and an actual total of close to $200 trillion in unfunded liabilities to existing government payment programs.

How does this address China, the biggest polluter on the planet? This whole “we must lead” rhetoric may sound heroic and make for good sound bytes but does nothing to really address this nagging question. We can ‘lead’ on anything but that does not force others to follow us. As long as China continues to pollute at the rate that it does, then whatever measures we and our allies take will be massively undercut. After all, we all SHARE the same atmosphere.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
What happens then to our smoke stack industries? Where do all of those people find jobs? and what about all the spin-off jobs from those communities?

Where is all the money to fund all of these initiatives going to come from? We have over $20 trillion of operating debt and an actual total of close to $200 trillion in unfunded liabilities to existing government payment programs.

How does this address China, the biggest polluter on the planet? This whole “we must lead” rhetoric may sound heroic and make for good sound bytes but does nothing to really address this nagging question. We can ‘lead’ on anything but that does not force others to follow us. As long as China continues to pollute at the rate that it does, then whatever measures we and our allies take will be massively undercut. After all, we all SHARE the same atmosphere.
An ounce of prevention . . .

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There are actually signs that China is starting to wake up - and they will have to do it themselves, as will India, eventually. Next will come Africa. No matter how Trump uses his bully pulpit, "smokestack America" is gone. Gone! Those smokestacks went to China and they are now on their ways to points south. A smokestack in every back yard is Trump's pipe dream he's selling the rust belt. Forget it...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
China is expanding its renewable energy infrastructure rapidly, so they are addressing their pollution problem in that regard much more aggressively than we are.
Cross training those who lose jobs in the petroleum industries is not an insurmountable problem (Denmark says hi), as long as arrogance, ignorance and money from big oil to stop it can be overcome.
Here’s some of that arrogance, even as automakers are moving away from internal combustion gas/diesel engines.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oil-industry-climate_n_5c940962e4b0a6329e144e6c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't get the hoopla. It was nothing more than a vision document. There was no policy.
It's pure gamesmanship - because none of the Dems who vocally supported it were even willing to vote for it.

I don't care who you are as a politician - you vote what you claim to support. If it's no big deal, then why not show they want to be more proactive by voting for it? Because they're more concerned that how that vote might be used against them in an upcoming election than they are actually addressing the problem.

Keep in mind I don't respect the repubs. But the dems need to either put up or shut up when it comes to addressing climate change.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Seattle should give The Green New Deal a try.

Seattle is known as one of the most progressive cities in the country.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I want to clarify, i'm not trying to equate Seattle's homeless/drug problem with TGND. I just decided to place this here. The phrase "We've been ....ting where we live" from another post made me think of this documentary.

It's worth the time to watch.

The "Head Tax" at $275 per employee is still the largest head tax in U.S. history. To get money for more camps, injection sites and bags of free socks.....

Was repealed a month after it was passed.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Keep in mind I don't respect the repubs. But the dems need to either put up or shut up when it comes to addressing climate change.
Put up or shut up sounds about right. The Dems need to grow a pair and learn to play offense. They play defense way too often against the GOP and don’t really do that good of a job at it to be honest.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It's pure gamesmanship - because none of the Dems who vocally supported it were even willing to vote for it.
Why would they vote for something that Mitch McConnell put out there as a political show? I would think if they were going to vote for something it would be an actual bill that went through committees and then the House first.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Why would they vote for something that Mitch McConnell put out there as a political show? I would think if they were going to vote for something it would be an actual bill that went through committees and then the House first.
Yup, it was a political show and the dems didn't take the bait.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
While it's not a bill and is a stunt the dems refused to put their support in writing because they didn't want to be beat over the head with it in the 2020 election cycle. With all that being said, I think they would need more time to formalize a more attainable and sensible plan than what has been associated to this subject. There has been way too much political misinformation mixed in to this point.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
While it's not a bill and is a stunt the dems refused to put their support in writing because they didn't want to be beat over the head with it in the 2020 election cycle.
There was nothing to support in this situation except a crooked turtle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.