Green New Deal

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think they did this not to protect themselves from the GOP attack ads but to protect themselves from grassroot resentment from their base when a litmus test progressive legislation was on the floor and they voted no.
i think most folks on the dem side, even the grassroots, see this bill by mcconnell for exactly what it is.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Of course, I get that - but if it was a pointless thing in the first place, why did AOC even present the GND to the Senate, rather than just champion the ideals behind it?

There are reasons that resolutions exist - if no one intended to support his, why was it ever even presented in the first place?
AOC:
I got a friend with a green new deal in the basement (what?)

I'm just kiddin' like Jason (oh)....

unless you gon do it

Serious duplicity going on here. Don't "propose" it unless you want it consider and don't complain when you do propose it and people do consider it and don't claim you didn't mean it when you did and don't claim others are making a game of it as if you weren't.

If she's not serious then own it. If she is then own it. Republicans just took advantage of a rookie "mistake". That's politics. Dems do it, too.

Time to poo or get off the pot.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Devils advocate. Had they actually voted for the bill, then the political ads would have been "LOOK AT THIS CRAZY PERSON WHO VOTED TO RAISE YOUR TAXES, TAKE AWAY YOUR COAL, AND MAKE ALL THE UNBORN BABBIES COLD BY REMOVING THIS WONDERFUL WARM WEATHER!"

I am surprised AOC and those who co-sponsored the bill (it says on behalf of, not sure if that wording is the same thing as a co-sponsor) didn't see this as a possible outcome.

I disagree. Both sides are playing games. The dems put up a bill to get people talking that they knew didn't have the votes. The republicans, decided to do something they rarely do and actually take up legislation that isn't about spending money, hurting brown people, or blowing stuff up, and called their bluff. Say what you want, a bill never becomes law without a vote. If you put a bill up, you should kind of expect that it might get a vote. I know McConnell wasn't voting on the bill that AOC put up, but to say the Dems weren't doing any gamesmanship by putting up a bill that they never expected to vote on, is a bit much.
AOC:
I got a friend with a green new deal in the basement (what?)

I'm just kiddin' like Jason (oh)....

unless you gon do it

Serious duplicity going on here. Don't "propose" it unless you want it consider and don't complain when you do propose it and people do consider it and don't claim you didn't mean it when you did and don't claim others are making a game of it as if you weren't.

If she's not serious then own it. If she is then own it. Republicans just took advantage of a rookie "mistake". That's politics. Dems do it, too.

Time to poo or get off the pot.

Again. The Dems had zero to do with this being put up. AOC isn't even in that branch of Congress.

Confusion and misrepresentation of the facts like this & like what will be promoted on Fox News is exactly why McConnell did this.

It's not even a bill. It's just a non-binding resolution that ultimately means nothing.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Again. The Dems had zero to do with this being put up. AOC isn't even in that branch of Congress.

Confusion and misrepresentation of the facts like this & like what will be promoted on Fox News is exactly why McConnell did this.
Zero would be Reps made it up whole cloth.

That was not what happened.

Facts are stubborn things.

Fact is, she put it out there and it was a rookie move to be exploited.

She's a sharp one in most snippets I've seen, but she got played this time and bluster about the GOP playing games is just trying to save face.

Nothing gets done because everyone up there is playing games, including the new kid on the block.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Zero would be Reps made it up whole cloth.

That was not what happened.

Facts are stubborn things.

Fact is, she put it out there and it was a rookie move to be exploited.

She a sharp one in most snippets I've seen, but she got played this time and bluster about the GOP playing games is just trying to save face.

Nothing gets done because everyone up there is playing games, including the new kid on the block.
Incorrect facts that people refuse to let go of are even more stubborn things apparently.

Politicians put issues and ideas on their website all of the time. Rookies and non-rookies. However not all politicians are the brand new boogey man for the right wing misinformation machine and have those ideas that aren't even bills taken and put into the Senate.

Not a perfect analogy but this would be like Auburn putting up Harvey Updyke's position on something into SEC rules and regulations and then Alabama fans & NCAA fans thinking that was officially from the University of Alabama.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
*sigh*

I know you guys are right - there's no winning for the dems to support this stunt. I guess I'm just fed up with all the games when we're talking about something that needs to be addressed.

I also know the GND isn't the answer - it's a lot of lofty ideals, many of which are likely unattainable. It's just frustrating that we've had so little movement towards addressing GW, even under Obama.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
*sigh*

I know you guys are right - there's no winning for the gems to support this stunt. I guess I'm just fed up with all the games when we're talking about something that needs to be addressed.

I also know the GND isn't the answer - it's a lot of lofty ideals, many of which are likely unattainable. It's just frustrating that we've had so little movement towards addressing GW, even under Obama.
Much of the lack of movement towards addressing it under Obama can be put at the feet of McConnell and right wing media as well, honestly.

The problem is it is extremely hard to get any traction on anything with such a large distortion of facts being thrown out there from the right and then when you add in some of the lunacy of the extreme left as well that doesn't help.

I agree with you on being fed up with the games, however there is one side that is far more intent on pushing the games than the other. Even looking at just this thread it shows that their games work and thus they're going to keep doing it. I keep hoping that eventually people will come to their senses but I have very little hope for the future of this planet.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Incorrect facts that people refuse to let go of are even more stubborn things apparently.

Politicians put issues and ideas on their website all of the time. Rookies and non-rookies. However not all politicians are the brand new boogey man for the right wing misinformation machine and have those ideas that aren't even bills taken and put into the Senate.

Not a perfect analogy but this would be like Auburn putting up Harvey Updyke's position on something into SEC rules and regulations and then Alabama fans & NCAA fans thinking that was officially from the University of Alabama.
You must be under the mistaken assumption I'm a fan of either team. I'm not. It's more like I'm watching OSU-UM and one side runs a play then blames the other for calling the play for them. I'm mildly interested in the game but intrigued by the stupidity of both sides.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
You must be under the mistaken assumption I'm a fan of either team. I'm not. It's more like I'm watching OSU-UM and one side runs a play then blames the other for calling the play for them. I'm mildly interested in the game but intrigued by the stupidity of both sides.
I know you aren't a fan of either team. However you are currently falling for the tactics of one team while putting blame on the other team that did nothing in this particular situation. A play wasn't even run. A play was discussed on the sideline.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I know you aren't a fan of either team. However you are currently falling for the tactics of one team while putting blame on the other team that did nothing in this particular situation. A play wasn't even run. A play was discussed on the sideline.
Not at all. You have your blue tinted glasses on maybe, but I'm seeing it and calling it fairly. I'm not deceived by it because I frankly haven't paid much attention to it other than to see what she put out for public consumption on her own accord and determine for myself she painted a unicorn and I did note that R's took advantage and now D's are trying to save save by downplaying it and/or ignoring it. Pelosi has made the brightest moves politically in this. The GOP is just doing what they do - finding an enemy to point at while they ignore every problem there's ever been.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Not at all. You have your blue tinted glasses on maybe, but I'm seeing it and calling it fairly. I'm not deceived by it because I frankly haven't paid much attention to it other than to see what she put out for public consumption on her own accord and determine for myself she painted a unicorn and I did note that R's took advantage and now D's are trying to save save by downplaying it and/or ignoring it. Pelosi has made the brightest moves politically in this. The GOP is just doing what they do - finding an enemy to point at while they ignore every problem there's ever been.
lol, ok. My glasses are only tinted blue because my red glasses broke and started being super racist leaving me with just the one pair. I'm just going to assume that you are refusing to understand what happened in this situation (multiple of your statements have now shown that is a safe assumption) while also pointing out yet again that putting something out for public consumption does not equal a bill to be put into Congress. There is a world of difference between the two things. If you want to continue in your misinformation I obviously can't stop you so I will just agree to disagree to keep from having to repeat myself 100 times in this thread.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
lol, ok. My glasses are only tinted blue because my red glasses broke and started being super racist leaving me with just the one pair. I'm just going to assume that you are refusing to understand what happened in this situation (multiple of your statements have now shown that is a safe assumption) while also pointing out yet again that putting something out for public consumption does not equal a bill to be put into Congress. There is a world of difference between the two things. If you want to continue in your misinformation I obviously can't stop you so I will just agree to disagree to keep from having to repeat myself 100 times in this thread.
Show me where I said that she put it out as a bill.

You can't because I never said it.

I chose my words carefully so that I didn't imply that.

If t any time you took that as my meaning then either I misstated something or you read more into it than was there.

Does that clarify things enough for you?

AOC never entered the GND as a bill.

She did propose it a a pipedream roadmap of sorts.

Agreed?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Show me where I said that she put it out as a bill.

You can't because I never said it.

I chose my words carefully so that I didn't imply that.

If t any time you took that as my meaning then either I misstated something or you read more into it than was there.

Does that clarify things enough for you?

AOC never entered the GND as a bill.

She did propose it a a pipedream roadmap of sorts.

Agreed?
You never said bill. However I stand by my statement that your wording is a mischaracterization of what happened in this case.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
AOC did not present it to the Senate. McConnell did. She is in the House.
Not sure this is factually correct?

In the 116th Congress, it is a pair of resolutions, H. Res. 109 and S. Res. 59, sponsored by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA). Markey's resolution was voted on March 25, 2019 with a result of a 57-0 loss as many Democrats voted "present."

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-resolution/59

Cosponsored by 12 dems who wouldn't even vote for it? https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-resolution/59/cosponsors

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i love how so many folks who have hand waved away concerns about climate change for the past couple of decades are now bothered by the democrats not fixing the problem in the correct way with the proper optics.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.