Hurts in the weight room - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Relayer's Avatar

Re: Hurts in the weight room

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Aren't you dancing around that statement right here or am I misinterpreting your comments?
    Please carefully re-read my post in question (and the BIG post quoted therein). I have said nothing of the sort. BIG's statement, which I quoted, basically said Jalen doesn't wants to tell his kids he gave up on himself. I said staying at Bama doesn't equate to giving up on himself. Saying that I'm dancing around calling him a quitter is patently false.
    Last edited by Relayer; February 19th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    scott cochran is widely considered one of the best in the business. i would imagine that is one basis of that opinion.
    I understand biases as much as the next guy. Although, every single year; National Champions or not, Alabama is the stronger, faster more physical team on the field. We can count on one hand the number of times in a game we have been out performed in those three categories. That allows me to make a confident statement like that, which is a true testament to the superior foundation Scott Cochran has established within our S&C program. There are not many -if any- that are as passionate and knowledgeable in all of college football when it comes to Strength Coach. Coach Cochran would be an instant upgrade to just about every staff in the country - including OU.
    Last edited by dWarriors88; February 19th, 2019 at 11:27 AM.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    Did Hurts wake up and eat breakfast today? We Bama fans must know now!

Seriously, am I the only Bama fan that doesn't care what is happening with Hurts and OU? I wished him the best as he departed but, now it is of no concern to me, I'm focused on Bama's journey. I don't need daily Hurts reports from OU fans. Do they want daily Tua reports from our fans?
    I think Jalen, for reasons unique to his situation, is an exception to that understood rule. I for one will continue to follow his career.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I think Jalen, for reasons unique to his situation, is an exception to that understood rule. I for one will continue to follow his career.
    I think we will all be doing that to one degree or another and most of us don't need hand-holding to do it (not saying you or anyone else does).

To put it bluntly, I think more people are annoyed hearing about Hurts from OU fans than are annoyed hearing about Hurts, especially in regards to things we already know.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I, too, find my body hurts when I find myself in a weight room. Thus, I rarely enter one.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    Please carefully re-read my post in question (and the BIG post quoted therein). I have said nothing of the sort. BIG's statement, which I quoted, basically said Jalen doesn't wants to tell his kids he gave up on himself. I said staying at Bama doesn't equate to giving up on himself. Saying that I'm dancing around calling him a quitter is patently false.
    I gotcha friend. I phrased it as a question because I realized that I may have misinterpreted it but I'd just ask you straight up. Roll tide!
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    scott cochran is widely considered one of the best in the business. i would imagine that is one basis of that opinion.
    Well, I had thought his rep was nation-wide. Maybe not. There certainly has been enough national press on it, though...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Unfortunately, as a QB he should have been spending some of that time in the film room learning how to read defenses...not to mention on the practice field learning how to throw a receiver open. He's a great person and team player...not too sure he will measure up to the 2 past OU QB's.
    I think the Sooners are in good hands. Their Head Coach Riley is a big reason for their offensive explosions. And Hurts is also in good hands there. Riley will put Hurts and that Sooners offense in positions to succeed at a high level and win that Big 12 Championship. There is a good chance we see Hurts in the playoff.

I'll be a Sooner fan this coming season until they play us.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    One last comment...I think L.R. will make him a better passer. No, I do not expect him to be on par with either Mayfield or Murray as a passer. He doesn't have to be. L.R. will build a scheme around him that will fit his skill set perfectly. I also expect that he will benefit from a dramatically better D at OU. The new staff and talent available ( recruited and on hand ) should produce much better results.
    Honestly for an individual performance, I think he will do better stat-wise (and potentially for NFL exposure) at OU than he did at Alabama. Also to consider is that he is now a senior, so it wouldn't surprise me if it happens. It's not a knock on Alabama, just that what I expect to see and that Lincoln Riley can help his game a LOT. Appreciate you bringing the links here. To be perfectly honest, this excites me because I will be watching all of Oklahoma's games this up-coming season. A lot of them are very early in the day and usually not when in Bama is playing. So, I'll have a built-in excuse to watch more football. I knew I couldn't shake this habit. :-)
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

It looks like Oklahoma has a new strength coach.

https://www.normantranscript.com/spo...6f7d1047c.html

My guess is that any program the caliber of Oklahoma would have a much better than average strength coach. While any coach would be a step down from Cochran, in my opinion, it was argued up thread that Jalen had concentrated too much on success in the weight room so this suggests to me the drop down from Cochran to the Oklahoma guy perhaps wouldn't have a significant effect on the Oklahoma team.

The original poster has been posting here so long...and thought the board might be an interesting place to discuss Jalen's weight room stuff and how he's jelling with his new team. I do not think it even occurred to him that it might have been interpreted as a form of gloating. I've always enjoyed Owens' point of view.

If it turns out Oklahoma beats Bama in the playoffs next winter that would be hard to swallow, but I would bet Saban might well carry Jalen off the field similar to how Bryant carried Stallings after losing to him.

Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar

Wylie is going into his 2nd year at OU. For the past 17 years, prior to LR hiring Wylie, our strength coach has been Jerry Schmidt aka "Schmitty." He was let go by Riley as the first shoe to drop in the process of remaking our staff in Riley's image. Schmidt's credentials are impressive with successful stints at ND, Florida, OU and now T A&M. He followed Bob Stoops from Florida to OU. Apparently, Riley was not happy with his methods this the change.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I do not think it even occurred to him that it might have been interpreted as a form of gloating. I've always enjoyed Owens' point of view.

If it turns out Oklahoma beats Bama in the playoffs next winter that would be hard to swallow, but I would bet Saban might well carry Jalen off the field similar to how Bryant carried Stallings after losing to him.
    I never thought of it as gloating either. People are VERY sensitive here I've noticed :-D but understandable actually after a tough loss at the end of a season.

Anyways, I wouldn't have a problem with it either if that's how it turned out but I hope it doesn't get to that point.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.