Hurts in the weight room

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Did u really have to go there? This entire set of circumstances is, in my mind, a celebration. How many college athletes will be able to say to their kids and grand kids, I played in 2 of the most historic programs in the history of college football? The only thing that could make this better is if we play each other again in the playoff. Can anyone imagine the hype for such a game?
I wouldn’t want that. I would prefer to remember Jalen as a loved star a football hero and Bama man , not as an enemy ! It would definitely hurt his legacy at Alabama. That seems to be a dream scenario for many Sooner fans!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yes, but staying at Bama doesn't mean you tell your children you gave up on yourself. Quite the opposite.
There is a difference between quitting and moving on. Subtle but there is a difference. He didn't quit on the team in 2018, he got his degree, he came on the field and helped secure Alabama's spot in the CFP with an SECCG win. QB is a different position than any other. There isn't a lot you can do to get two starters on the field every down at quarterback. When you got two quality left tackles, you'll play one of them at guard or right tackle. When you got two quality tailbacks, you split snaps to keep each fresh. Quarterback isn't that type of position, you want your first line guy taking nearly every meaningful snap. Practice time limitations and in-game flow dictates it. If Jalen wants to get a shot at QB in the NFL, he needs to be starting and taking nearly every meaningful snap for a team in 2019. That wasn't going to happen at Alabama. So you're basically asking him to value being the highest quality QB depth one could have over his own professional development. That's fine as a fan to be looking out for your team but I'd caution against labeling a guy as a quitter because of these circumstances.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Did u really have to go there? This entire set of circumstances is, in my mind, a celebration. How many college athletes will be able to say to their kids and grand kids, I played in 2 of the most historic programs in the history of college football? The only thing that could make this better is if we play each other again in the playoff. Can anyone imagine the hype for such a game?
Calm down sensitive sally, Merely pointing out the fact that Our S&C program is superior to that in Norman, and we have a few more players lifting enough weight that would blow away those same sooner players. Didn't remark on a single thing about Jalen.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm not skilled enough to transport this over but if one of you nice folks want to go to The Football Brainiacs site and open up their Friday news section you will scroll down to two videos on Jalen in the OU weight room dazzling his teammates.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1096184168508080128

Great way for Hurts to get his new teammates on his side. If they didn't already they will look at him for his leadership even more after seeing what a weightroom freak he is.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
There is a difference between quitting and moving on. Subtle but there is a difference. He didn't quit on the team in 2018, he got his degree, he came on the field and helped secure Alabama's spot in the CFP with an SECCG win. QB is a different position than any other. There isn't a lot you can do to get two starters on the field every down at quarterback. When you got two quality left tackles, you'll play one of them at guard or right tackle. When you got two quality tailbacks, you split snaps to keep each fresh. Quarterback isn't that type of position, you want your first line guy taking nearly every meaningful snap. Practice time limitations and in-game flow dictates it. If Jalen wants to get a shot at QB in the NFL, he needs to be starting and taking nearly every meaningful snap for a team in 2019. That wasn't going to happen at Alabama. So you're basically asking him to value being the highest quality QB depth one could have over his own professional development. That's fine as a fan to be looking out for your team but I'd caution against labeling a guy as a quitter because of these circumstances.
I haven't seen anyone even imply that Jalen quit on Bama or is a quitter. Have you?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
"Sensitive Sally"...clever. Can you explain the basis for your opinion that the Alabama S&C program is better? A victory or even a defeat hardly establishes superiority in any one facet of a game. There are a lot of teams with outstanding S&C programs that lose games and a lot that win games. It's a team sport. I never thought that our S&C program was the reason we have won games vs Alabama nor have I ever thought we lost to the Tide because of our weaker S&C program. As to a rematch in the playoffs...I don't think most OU fans give it much thought one way or the other. There is only one thing weighing on Sooner fans thoughts as we approach the 2019 season. Will we start playing OKLAHOMA D again? Lots of cautious optimism out here about the new staff, the new scheme, and the combination of 10 starters and a top recruiting class meshing into a decent D to go with our dynamic O. If, and that's a big IF, we play each other again in the playoffs and IF Tua is the HT winner, and IF both were in NY for the ceremony, the hype for the game will be off the charts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If, and that's a big IF, we play each other again in the playoffs and IF Tua is the HT winner, and IF both were in NY for the ceremony, the hype for the game will be off the charts.
Jalen is a hero and a legend but he would become the enemy. No Alabama fans want to see that happen.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
"Sensitive Sally"...clever. Can you explain the basis for your opinion that the Alabama S&C program is better? A victory or even a defeat hardly establishes superiority in any one facet of a game. There are a lot of teams with outstanding S&C programs that lose games and a lot that win games. It's a team sport. I never thought that our S&C program was the reason we have won games vs Alabama nor have I ever thought we lost to the Tide because of our weaker S&C program. As to a rematch in the playoffs...I don't think most OU fans give it much thought one way or the other. There is only one thing weighing on Sooner fans thoughts as we approach the 2019 season. Will we start playing OKLAHOMA D again? Lots of cautious optimism out here about the new staff, the new scheme, and the combination of 10 starters and a top recruiting class meshing into a decent D to go with our dynamic O. If, and that's a big IF, we play each other again in the playoffs and IF Tua is the HT winner, and IF both were in NY for the ceremony, the hype for the game will be off the charts.
This guy serious right now?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
scott cochran is widely considered one of the best in the business. i would imagine that is one basis of that opinion.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Did Hurts wake up and eat breakfast today? We Bama fans must know now!

Seriously, am I the only Bama fan that doesn't care what is happening with Hurts and OU? I wished him the best as he departed but, now it is of no concern to me, I'm focused on Bama's journey. I don't need daily Hurts reports from OU fans. Do they want daily Tua reports from our fans?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Aren't you dancing around that statement right here or am I misinterpreting your comments?
Please carefully re-read my post in question (and the BIG post quoted therein). I have said nothing of the sort. BIG's statement, which I quoted, basically said Jalen doesn't wants to tell his kids he gave up on himself. I said staying at Bama doesn't equate to giving up on himself. Saying that I'm dancing around calling him a quitter is patently false.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
scott cochran is widely considered one of the best in the business. i would imagine that is one basis of that opinion.
I understand biases as much as the next guy. Although, every single year; National Champions or not, Alabama is the stronger, faster more physical team on the field. We can count on one hand the number of times in a game we have been out performed in those three categories. That allows me to make a confident statement like that, which is a true testament to the superior foundation Scott Cochran has established within our S&C program. There are not many -if any- that are as passionate and knowledgeable in all of college football when it comes to Strength Coach. Coach Cochran would be an instant upgrade to just about every staff in the country - including OU.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Did Hurts wake up and eat breakfast today? We Bama fans must know now!

Seriously, am I the only Bama fan that doesn't care what is happening with Hurts and OU? I wished him the best as he departed but, now it is of no concern to me, I'm focused on Bama's journey. I don't need daily Hurts reports from OU fans. Do they want daily Tua reports from our fans?
I think Jalen, for reasons unique to his situation, is an exception to that understood rule. I for one will continue to follow his career.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think Jalen, for reasons unique to his situation, is an exception to that understood rule. I for one will continue to follow his career.
I think we will all be doing that to one degree or another and most of us don't need hand-holding to do it (not saying you or anyone else does).

To put it bluntly, I think more people are annoyed hearing about Hurts from OU fans than are annoyed hearing about Hurts, especially in regards to things we already know.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Please carefully re-read my post in question (and the BIG post quoted therein). I have said nothing of the sort. BIG's statement, which I quoted, basically said Jalen doesn't wants to tell his kids he gave up on himself. I said staying at Bama doesn't equate to giving up on himself. Saying that I'm dancing around calling him a quitter is patently false.
I gotcha friend. I phrased it as a question because I realized that I may have misinterpreted it but I'd just ask you straight up. Roll tide!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Unfortunately, as a QB he should have been spending some of that time in the film room learning how to read defenses...not to mention on the practice field learning how to throw a receiver open. He's a great person and team player...not too sure he will measure up to the 2 past OU QB's.
I think the Sooners are in good hands. Their Head Coach Riley is a big reason for their offensive explosions. And Hurts is also in good hands there. Riley will put Hurts and that Sooners offense in positions to succeed at a high level and win that Big 12 Championship. There is a good chance we see Hurts in the playoff.

I'll be a Sooner fan this coming season until they play us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.