Hurts in the weight room

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not skilled enough to transport this over but if one of you nice folks want to go to The Football Brainiacs site and open up their Friday news section you will scroll down to two videos on Jalen in the OU weight room dazzling his teammates.
Jalen is a serious strong man. He is a competitor who thrived in our weight room.
He will do the same at Oklahoma. It's a little strange for a QB to be pushing the big guys,
but Jalen is special. Our loss is your gain. He will be a good one for yall.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm sorry...I thought this was a discussion board...I was just noting that his previously noted deficiencies -- which, yes, he has begun to address -- were more of a need for him than lifting 500 lbs. I've known golfers who could drive it 330 but not make a 3 foot putt under pressure...yet they would keep practicing with the driver. When we only do what we can do well and easily, we can bet that we are not working on our deficiencies.

How hard is that to understand?
Your argument is valid and profound, easier to dismiss as passive as opposed to constructive. I tend to agree with you, you guys remember our 3rd down rate under Jalen? I love everything Jalen resembles and respect him as much as you guys, but I agree with the right to make statements like this. I think it’s the writers duty to convey that point in a soft manner, we’re all good here tho. Jalen will be awesome, we all know it. Like a Cinderella story really?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I knew he should have been a linebacker.:wink:
I actually have wondered before who steered him toward QB considering his body type and athleticism. I think he would make an amazing strong safety with further training. Let me put it this way: if you are a high school coach and have a light weight, fast guy you do not teach him to be a lineman or tight end. You make him a cornerback. I wonder if Jalens body type might have been more natural to something else.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I actually have wondered before who steered him toward QB considering his body type and athleticism. I think he would make an amazing strong safety with further training. Let me put it this way: if you are a high school coach and have a light weight, fast guy you do not teach him to be a lineman or tight end. You make him a cornerback. I wonder if Jalens body type might have been more natural to something else.
Coach Dad I would say “steered him toward QB.” My son was the point guard, shortstop, and quarterback in youth sports. I was his coach. In high school he dropped basketball and ended up in centerfield and the defensive backfield.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'm sorry...I thought this was a discussion board...I was just noting that his previously noted deficiencies -- which, yes, he has begun to address -- were more of a need for him than lifting 500 lbs. I've known golfers who could drive it 330 but not make a 3 foot putt under pressure...yet they would keep practicing with the driver. When we only do what we can do well and easily, we can bet that we are not working on our deficiencies.

How hard is that to understand?
Jalen did well with Kiffin's offense. Daboll's offense...not so much. I believe a lot of those "deficiencies" were the fault of Daboll. Jalen is a very talented quarterback. He may not get the passing totals of the last two at OU, but he'll be a winner. I'm excited to see him play this coming season.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
We have a few more guys on our roster that would blow your boys away in the weight room
Did u really have to go there? This entire set of circumstances is, in my mind, a celebration. How many college athletes will be able to say to their kids and grand kids, I played in 2 of the most historic programs in the history of college football? The only thing that could make this better is if we play each other again in the playoff. Can anyone imagine the hype for such a game?

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
One last comment...I think L.R. will make him a better passer. No, I do not expect him to be on par with either Mayfield or Murray as a passer. He doesn't have to be. L.R. will build a scheme around him that will fit his skill set perfectly. I also expect that he will benefit from a dramatically better D at OU. The new staff and talent available ( recruited and on hand ) should produce much better results.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Did u really have to go there? This entire set of circumstances is, in my mind, a celebration. How many college athletes will be able to say to their kids and grand kids, I played in 2 of the most historic programs in the history of college football? The only thing that could make this better is if we play each other again in the playoff. Can anyone imagine the hype for such a game?
I can't say what is or will be in any of these players' minds, but personally, I'd rather say I played 5 years at Alabama and won two or three national championships.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Hurts is any worse of a passer than Murray. Murray could hit open guys and Riley gave him a lot of them.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
One last comment...I think L.R. will make him a better passer. No, I do not expect him to be on par with either Mayfield or Murray as a passer. He doesn't have to be. L.R. will build a scheme around him that will fit his skill set perfectly. I also expect that he will benefit from a dramatically better D at OU. The new staff and talent available ( recruited and on hand ) should produce much better results.
In the spread type offenses of college football it appears to me that the ability of the QB to extend plays with his feet and complete passes when defenses are stretched in coverage becomes an incredible weapon, we remember Johnny Manziel. I would expect Jalen to grow dramatically in is ability to roll left and right and get the ball in the hands of explosive receivers or tuck it for first downs with his feet when it is required. I hope your offensive line will come along quickly and allow him to grow his confidence before facing toughest competition. Hoping to see him in New York at season end!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Hurts could just get to where he could roll left and complete any sorta pass then he'd probably be indefensible in college. If you couldn't just flush him out to the right with a blitz with right side coverage, he'd be hard to stop in the passing game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't say what is or will be in any of these players' minds, but personally, I'd rather say I played 5 years at Alabama and won two or three national championships.
I understand your sentiment. He has a national championship. He has established his legacy at Alabama. He has established his legacy as one of the greatest team players in the game. I think that he would rather be in a position to tell his children that he never gave up on himself.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Players want to win but they also want to play. And he's a lead dog, so he wants to start and lead a team to a championship not just participate. It isn't like OU is incapable of winning a championship. They've been in as many playoffs as Ohio State, tied for 3rd in appearances behind Alabama and Clemson.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep I imagine he's got to be licking his chops to get after those gun-shy, smooth-brained DCs in the Big-12.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I understand your sentiment. He has a national championship. He has established his legacy at Alabama. He has established his legacy as one of the greatest team players in the game. I think that he would rather be in a position to tell his children that he never gave up on himself.
Yes, but staying at Bama doesn't mean you tell your children you gave up on yourself. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.