Or.....

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Come on Bazza, this is a serious thread. You darn Trump Lovin Thread Jacker

https://governor.maryland.gov/governor-larry-hogan/

Why I think Trump may not run for re-election:

It's just a theory I have. Anything, of course, can happen.

We all know the president has a ginormous ego. While I feel he really enjoys being POTUS and along with that campaigning, I also think the time may come when he says "Screw it - I'm done!"

He can do that because he isn't a politician by trade. He has options and they are quite different than most of who we consider to be politicians.

I also never understood with so much time left before 2020 everyone seems to take it for granted he would run for re-election. Then you toss in the Mueller investigation and I think that leaves the future a bit in the air.

It wouldn't surprise me either way - but gotta leave the door open for what could happen
    Last edited by Bazza; April 20th, 2019 at 11:04 PM.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I was actually going to move it after getting your attention. So that's your answer: "old dog - new tricks?"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I was actually going to move it after getting your attention. So that's your answer: "old dog - new tricks?"
    Ha ha...no please see revised post - I was working on it as I evacuated the old one.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

We all know the president has a ginormous ego. While I feel he really enjoys being POTUS and along with that campaigning, I also think the time may come when he says "Screw it - I'm done!"

He can do that because he isn't a politician by trade. He has options and they are quite different than most of who we consider to be politicians.

I also never understood with so much time left before 2020 everyone seems to take it for granted he would run for re-election. Then you toss in the Mueller investigation and I think that leaves the future a bit in the air.

It wouldn't surprise me either way - but gotta leave the door open for what could happen
    I can't see his ego not letting him run, not to mention the fact that he may face prosecution as soon as he exits the WH door...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I really hope Hogan runs.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Anyone think trump dumps pence if the Dems run a minority or female for either President or Vice President?
    No.

Because every election ever held shows you can run a box of chocolate covered cherries as the running mate and it makes no difference. People vote for the top of the ticket and other than the occasional outlier who takes succession seriously, the number two does not matter.

Most of us are not old enough to recall the trauma of an unplanned succession. I was four when Nixon resigned so I had no idea about any of it. To have a firm memory of things like that one has to be about 55 years old.

And our attention spans are so short that I dont think living through one would change very much.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

That would be interesting.......

We already have a dead man in the White House.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

You want to know what's more likely?

Trump trailing in the polls a week before the election and then announcing he's withdrawing because "the game is rigged."

I fully expected that to happen last time. Everyone be honest - would it have surprised you if Trump withdrew on the Sunday before the election and THEN announced that he and Hillary had cooked up the whole thing to clear her path to the White House? (I'm not saying this would have been or was true - I'm saying him claiming it should not surprise anyone).

Trump is not Bob Dole or Walter Mondale or Barry Goldwater. Those men - whatever their flaws - knew they were going to lose, but they understood that they had an obligation to the Congressional supporters and the party that nominated them to fake it and act like they thought they had a chance and to minimize damage down ballot.

Donald Trump has zero loyalty to anyone, including any of his wives. He's the kind of guy that would quit and blame a rigged game, make up an absolutely insane charge against the opponent - and then demand his Justice Dept investigate the "fraud perpetrated on the American people."

I think Trump runs and - and I take no joy in this - he's the odds on favorite right now. The economy is booming, and we are not in a shooting war with body bags coming home. Sure, you can call Trump a liar (accurately) but guess what? People are people - and how long do you think it's going to take Trump to find a lie(s) his opponent told IF the opponent actually tries that old "I'm the honest person in this race."

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

I think Trump runs and - and I take no joy in this - he's the odds on favorite right now. The economy is booming, and we are not in a shooting war with body bags coming home. Sure, you can call Trump a liar (accurately) but guess what? People are people - and how long do you think it's going to take Trump to find a lie(s) his opponent told IF the opponent actually tries that old "I'm the honest person in this race."
    I would say he doesn't just win, but he probably has a landslide victory. I just think he has a very united, committed, and excited base. While the Democrats are still fighting over how to properly cook eggs, instead of worrying about the guy stealing their eggs out of the henhouse.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    We already have a dead man in the White House.

"Old dog - new tricks"