Politics: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Several people I know went to see Warren in Bham and were very impressed.
    Her ideas and what she's written about make a lot of sense to me. She's on board the same "tax it all and make it for tuition" train that Bernie is on now, so it's going to hurt her with the rich folks, who are liberal on the coasts, but isn't everyone.

This is a strange, strange nation and world we live in now. But, I'm sure people in the 1870's, the 1970's, as today, said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    Walter Mondale would like a word.....
    i remember an assistant scoutmaster telling us of his great idea for a bumper sticker for a mondale/dolly parton ticket.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    Walter Mondale would like a word.....
    I'm not sure I get it (I'm assuming from the smiley that it's a joke).

Mondale threw the long bomb under the insanely naive notion that is disproved every four years (but the Democrats STILL refuse to accept), identity politics.

The politicians literally don't get it, either.

But everything ever demonstrated about the #2 on the ticket is this: "That person probably won't help you much but the important thing is that they not hurt you."

There's not a single VP nominee anyone can name that either helped a candidate win who would have lost OR caused a candidate who lost to lose. It's never happened. The closest is JFK taking LBJ in 1960.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i remember an assistant scoutmaster telling us of his great idea for a bumper sticker for a mondale/dolly parton ticket.
    Please don't leave me in suspense.........but I have a pretty good imagination......
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I'm not sure I get it (I'm assuming from the smiley that it's a joke).

Mondale threw the long bomb under the insanely naive notion that is disproved every four years (but the Democrats STILL refuse to accept), identity politics.

The politicians literally don't get it, either.

But everything ever demonstrated about the #2 on the ticket is this: "That person probably won't help you much but the important thing is that they not hurt you."

There's not a single VP nominee anyone can name that either helped a candidate win who would have lost OR caused a candidate who lost to lose. It's never happened. The closest is JFK taking LBJ in 1960.
    As an old geezer, I take the veep seriously.

In my lifetime LBJ and Ford assumed office, and Bush was within an inch because of the Reagan assassination attempt. Pense may be sitting pretty.

My parents saw 3: Truman, LBJ, and Ford.

My grandparents saw 3: T Roosevelt, Truman, and LBJ.

The previous generation saw A Johnson and T Roosevelt.

I agree who is chosen as the veep candidate makes very little difference as to who wins the election.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Please don't leave me in suspense.........but I have a pretty good imagination......
    it utilizes mondale's nickname (short for frederick)
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

I'm reminded of Johnnny Carson's Carnac saying, "A first baseman's glove and a catcher's mitt, a triple and a homer, and Dolly Parton."

Name two big mits.....two big hits.......

Fritz for those not old enough to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    As an old geezer, I take the veep seriously.

In my lifetime LBJ and Ford assumed office, and Bush was within an inch because of the Reagan assassination attempt. Pense may be sitting pretty.

My parents saw 3: Truman, LBJ, and Ford.

My grandparents saw 3: T Roosevelt, Truman, and LBJ.

The previous generation saw A Johnson and T Roosevelt.

I agree who is chosen as the veep candidate makes very little difference as to who wins the election.
    I take it seriously. The VP SHOULD meet Coach Bryant's criteria for an assistant - "I don't need a coach who isn't smarter than I am."

The pols basically want to fill in the blanks with "what state will I get that will help me win the election" or "how will I get votes I cannot get on my own?"

Bizarrely enough......at least one of the candidates in 2016 DID pick someone more qualified than he is. And one could plausibly argue that Hillary did as well.

TBF - most of the VP nominees we've chosen in the last 50 years HAVE been qualified to take over if tragedy occurred.

The only genuine exceptions were Agnew, Ferraro, Quayle, and Palin.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

I'd love to see Trump get primaried, but I also know the RNC would do everything they can do prevent it from happening. I'd like to see Larry Hogan or Charlie Baker make a run at Trump, or for POTUS in four years (assuming their trajectory holds, or continues to go up). For now, none of the Democratic candidates, I think, will do much to pull votes from the center, or the center-right among the non-Trump voters, but that isn't to say it won't happen in 2020. It is a terribly long time until 2020, and any of the current Democratic candidates can get momentum, and have it carry him or her to victory. This would be especially true, in my opinion, if some of the state investigations of Trump, where there wouldn't be any constitutional issues indicting a sitting POTUS, end up producing some legitimate charges with indisputable evidence. I am not saying the Mueller investigation exonerate Trump 100%; Mueller just felt there was enough presently available to recommend any charges.

With regards to other conservatives that I am friends with, many of us (including me) didn't vote for Trump, and do not plan on voting for him in 2020, even if he goes against a Bernie Sanders, or a Elizabeth Warren. My taxes didn't really garner much of a refund, Trump isn't a true conservative, his incessant lying is really eroding the office he occupies, and he makes everything all about him. His threats of using executive power to implement policy is a continuation of previous POTUS' actions, and that's one of my biggest concerns with how the federal branches interact with each other.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation All-American

I think Hogan is going to run or at least it sounds more likely...

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan hits Trump over Mueller report as he mulls 2020 challenge

"There was some very disturbing stuff found in the report and just because aides did not follow his orders," the Republican governor said Tuesday in New Hampshire. "That's the only reason we don't have obstruction of justice."
    "People have asked me to give this serious consideration, and I think I owe it to those people to do just that, and that's what I'm doing. I'm listening, coming to New Hampshire, and listening to people is a part of that process," Hogan told a voter at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics' "Politics and Eggs" Breakfast.
    As for his path to the nomination, Hogan was circumspect, admitting steps taken by the Republican National Committee meant challenging Trump was an uphill battle. Earlier this year, the RNC said it was giving its "undivided support" to Trump. In February, committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said any primary challenger to Trump would "lose horribly." And last week, the RNC announced it had merged operations with Trump's re-election campaign.

Hogan told CNN, "That kind of stuff is gonna make it very difficult, but here in New Hampshire, for example, they like to be independent. They like to look at the candidates and kick the tires and meet people one on one, and I'm pretty good at retail politics, and that's how I won my state with no money."

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I think Hogan is going to run or at least it sounds more likely...

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan hits Trump over Mueller report as he mulls 2020 challenge

6 days since the mueller report was released and the usual hand-waving by trump/g.o.p. to change the subject doesn't seem to be working very well.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

6 days since the mueller report was released and the usual hand-waving by trump/g.o.p. to change the subject doesn't seem to be working very well.
    Ironically, it was Hogan’s father that was first to jump ship on Nixon.