Politics: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Former Illinois congressman and talk show host Joe Walsh just announced on ABC This Week that he will challenge Trump

"I’m running because he’s unfit... He’s a child. He lies every time he opens his mouth.”
    Last edited by Bamaro; August 25th, 2019 at 02:15 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Former Illinois congressman and talk show host just announced on ABC This Week that he will challenge Trump
    Walsh seems to be as nutty as Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Former Illinois congressman and talk show host just announced on ABC This Week that he will challenge Trump
    While Walsh may be "as nutty as Trump", he may be a wake up call to more real conservative Republicans who supported the core values of the Tea Party. If nothing else maybe he can be a constant distraction to the Trump campaign and become a major irritant and keep pressure on Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...a99?li=BBnb7Kz
    Last edited by GrayTide; August 25th, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Serious primary challenges to a sitting president are usually bad news come November.

1968-LBJ gets challenged by Eugene McCarthy and RFK. He drops out and VP Humphrey is nominated and loses to Nixon.

1976-Ford is challenged by Reagan and loses to Carter.

1980-Carter is challenged by Ted Kennedy and loses to Reagan.

1992-Bush is challenged by Buchanan and loses to Clinton.

You can also throw in Taft and Truman.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    While Walsh may be "as nutty as Trump", he may be a wake up call to more real conservative Republicans who supported the core values of the Tea Party. If nothing else maybe he can be a constant distraction to the Trump campaign and become a major irritant and keep pressure on Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...a99?li=BBnb7Kz
    trump's core values and the tea party's core values line up pretty well.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Is Walsh challenging from his right? All those examples Crimson1967 pointed out the candidate was getting challenged by their wing's more progressive/extreme side from my historical recollection.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

So far there is not a candidate, of the 28 announced, Dem or Rep, that wouldn't be much better than Trump.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    trump's core values and the tea party's core values line up pretty well.

Yeah, but I am hoping that the difference will be Walsh espousing fiscal responsibility vs escalating debt under Trump. He can promote Tea Party values without coming across as a maniacal, dictator wannabe. I know he cannot unseat Trump but hopefully he will keep enough pressure on Trump for Trump to go even crazier, if possible.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Yeah, but I am hoping that the difference will be Walsh espousing fiscal responsibility vs escalating debt under Trump. He can promote Tea Party values without coming across as a maniacal, dictator wannabe. I know he cannot unseat Trump but hopefully he will keep enough pressure on Trump for Trump to go even crazier, if possible.
    it could be a slap fight.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Serious primary challenges to a sitting president are usually bad news come November.

1968-LBJ gets challenged by Eugene McCarthy and RFK. He drops out and VP Humphrey is nominated and loses to Nixon.

1976-Ford is challenged by Reagan and loses to Carter.

1980-Carter is challenged by Ted Kennedy and loses to Reagan.

1992-Bush is challenged by Buchanan and loses to Clinton.

You can also throw in Taft and Truman.

The problem is that in all of those cases except Taft was that in each time a generational candidate was going against a run of the mill sitting president.

1968-LBJ - Kennedy was the star, and LBJ knew it. While LBJ got the Civil Rights bill he knew the Great Society was no New Deal. Nixon only lost to Kennedy because Kennedy was just more of a generational candidate otherwise Nixon would've own the 60's.

1976-Ford- Anybody the democrats put up was going to knock Ford down the stairs.

1980-Carter- Carter's big problem was that everything went wrong in his last year, and Reagan was the strongest candidate the US had seen up until that time in history. Reagan brought a wave of neoliberalism to American politics

1992-Bush- Basically the same as LBJ in that he was no Reagan, and had a lot of bad things happen late

Truman was probably going to lose to Ike regardless, but the direction of the Korean War made him lose favor amongst the public

Taft is the only one that was beaten by a weaker candidate. The reason he lost was because Teddy decided to make a legit third party. Yes it was an electoral landslide, but look at the state by state percentages, and you would see that had it only been one republican then Woodrow wouldn't had a prayer in winning

Trump's difficulty will be convincing the swing state voters that they are in a better situation than they were in 2016. If he does that then he probably walks away with the election. I just don't think the democrats have a legit generational candidate that is able to unite the party and able to avoid uniting the right.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The problem is that in all of those cases except Taft was that in each time a generational candidate was going against a run of the mill sitting president.

1968-LBJ - Kennedy was the star, and LBJ knew it. While LBJ got the Civil Rights bill he knew the Great Society was no New Deal. Nixon only lost to Kennedy because Kennedy was just more of a generational candidate otherwise Nixon would've own the 60's.

1976-Ford- Anybody the democrats put up was going to knock Ford down the stairs.

1980-Carter- Carter's big problem was that everything went wrong in his last year, and Reagan was the strongest candidate the US had seen up until that time in history. Reagan brought a wave of neoliberalism to American politics

1992-Bush- Basically the same as LBJ in that he was no Reagan, and had a lot of bad things happen late

Truman was probably going to lose to Ike regardless, but the direction of the Korean War made him lose favor amongst the public

Taft is the only one that was beaten by a weaker candidate. The reason he lost was because Teddy decided to make a legit third party. Yes it was an electoral landslide, but look at the state by state percentages, and you would see that had it only been one republican then Woodrow wouldn't had a prayer in winning

Trump's difficulty will be convincing the swing state voters that they are in a better situation than they were in 2016. If he does that then he probably walks away with the election. I just don't think the democrats have a legit generational candidate that is able to unite the party and able to avoid uniting the right.
    It'll probably come down to the same three states, plus, perhaps, Florida, and how they feel about what Trump has done for them. A lot has to do with how much harm his economic policies have done to the economy between now and then...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It'll probably come down to the same three states, plus, perhaps, Florida, and how they feel about what Trump has done for them. A lot has to do with how much harm his economic policies have done to the economy between now and then...
    Too bad he is too dumb to realize that improving the economy is the thing that will get him re-elected and then come up with a plan that could actually help the economy in a meaningful way. I expect him to change directions on key economic policy issues multiple times in the next year and just make a general mess of things.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post

it shouldn't take a generational candidate to undo this garbage. i hope our country is better than that...

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon