Politics: 2020 Rep POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As an old geezer, I take the veep seriously.

In my lifetime LBJ and Ford assumed office, and Bush was within an inch because of the Reagan assassination attempt. Pense may be sitting pretty.

My parents saw 3: Truman, LBJ, and Ford.

My grandparents saw 3: T Roosevelt, Truman, and LBJ.

The previous generation saw A Johnson and T Roosevelt.

I agree who is chosen as the veep candidate makes very little difference as to who wins the election.
I take it seriously. The VP SHOULD meet Coach Bryant's criteria for an assistant - "I don't need a coach who isn't smarter than I am."

The pols basically want to fill in the blanks with "what state will I get that will help me win the election" or "how will I get votes I cannot get on my own?"

Bizarrely enough......at least one of the candidates in 2016 DID pick someone more qualified than he is. And one could plausibly argue that Hillary did as well.

TBF - most of the VP nominees we've chosen in the last 50 years HAVE been qualified to take over if tragedy occurred.

The only genuine exceptions were Agnew, Ferraro, Quayle, and Palin.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'd love to see Trump get primaried, but I also know the RNC would do everything they can do prevent it from happening. I'd like to see Larry Hogan or Charlie Baker make a run at Trump, or for POTUS in four years (assuming their trajectory holds, or continues to go up). For now, none of the Democratic candidates, I think, will do much to pull votes from the center, or the center-right among the non-Trump voters, but that isn't to say it won't happen in 2020. It is a terribly long time until 2020, and any of the current Democratic candidates can get momentum, and have it carry him or her to victory. This would be especially true, in my opinion, if some of the state investigations of Trump, where there wouldn't be any constitutional issues indicting a sitting POTUS, end up producing some legitimate charges with indisputable evidence. I am not saying the Mueller investigation exonerate Trump 100%; Mueller just felt there was enough presently available to recommend any charges.

With regards to other conservatives that I am friends with, many of us (including me) didn't vote for Trump, and do not plan on voting for him in 2020, even if he goes against a Bernie Sanders, or a Elizabeth Warren. My taxes didn't really garner much of a refund, Trump isn't a true conservative, his incessant lying is really eroding the office he occupies, and he makes everything all about him. His threats of using executive power to implement policy is a continuation of previous POTUS' actions, and that's one of my biggest concerns with how the federal branches interact with each other.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think Hogan is going to run or at least it sounds more likely...

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan hits Trump over Mueller report as he mulls 2020 challenge

"There was some very disturbing stuff found in the report and just because aides did not follow his orders," the Republican governor said Tuesday in New Hampshire. "That's the only reason we don't have obstruction of justice."
"People have asked me to give this serious consideration, and I think I owe it to those people to do just that, and that's what I'm doing. I'm listening, coming to New Hampshire, and listening to people is a part of that process," Hogan told a voter at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics' "Politics and Eggs" Breakfast.
As for his path to the nomination, Hogan was circumspect, admitting steps taken by the Republican National Committee meant challenging Trump was an uphill battle. Earlier this year, the RNC said it was giving its "undivided support" to Trump. In February, committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said any primary challenger to Trump would "lose horribly." And last week, the RNC announced it had merged operations with Trump's re-election campaign.

Hogan told CNN, "That kind of stuff is gonna make it very difficult, but here in New Hampshire, for example, they like to be independent. They like to look at the candidates and kick the tires and meet people one on one, and I'm pretty good at retail politics, and that's how I won my state with no money."

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Former Illinois congressman and talk show host Joe Walsh just announced on ABC This Week that he will challenge Trump

"I’m running because he’s unfit... He’s a child. He lies every time he opens his mouth.”

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Former Illinois congressman and talk show host just announced on ABC This Week that he will challenge Trump
While Walsh may be "as nutty as Trump", he may be a wake up call to more real conservative Republicans who supported the core values of the Tea Party. If nothing else maybe he can be a constant distraction to the Trump campaign and become a major irritant and keep pressure on Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...challenge-against-trump/ar-AAGja99?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Serious primary challenges to a sitting president are usually bad news come November.

1968-LBJ gets challenged by Eugene McCarthy and RFK. He drops out and VP Humphrey is nominated and loses to Nixon.

1976-Ford is challenged by Reagan and loses to Carter.

1980-Carter is challenged by Ted Kennedy and loses to Reagan.

1992-Bush is challenged by Buchanan and loses to Clinton.

You can also throw in Taft and Truman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Is Walsh challenging from his right? All those examples Crimson1967 pointed out the candidate was getting challenged by their wing's more progressive/extreme side from my historical recollection.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
trump's core values and the tea party's core values line up pretty well.

Yeah, but I am hoping that the difference will be Walsh espousing fiscal responsibility vs escalating debt under Trump. He can promote Tea Party values without coming across as a maniacal, dictator wannabe. I know he cannot unseat Trump but hopefully he will keep enough pressure on Trump for Trump to go even crazier, if possible.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, but I am hoping that the difference will be Walsh espousing fiscal responsibility vs escalating debt under Trump. He can promote Tea Party values without coming across as a maniacal, dictator wannabe. I know he cannot unseat Trump but hopefully he will keep enough pressure on Trump for Trump to go even crazier, if possible.
it could be a slap fight.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Serious primary challenges to a sitting president are usually bad news come November.

1968-LBJ gets challenged by Eugene McCarthy and RFK. He drops out and VP Humphrey is nominated and loses to Nixon.

1976-Ford is challenged by Reagan and loses to Carter.

1980-Carter is challenged by Ted Kennedy and loses to Reagan.

1992-Bush is challenged by Buchanan and loses to Clinton.

You can also throw in Taft and Truman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that in all of those cases except Taft was that in each time a generational candidate was going against a run of the mill sitting president.

1968-LBJ - Kennedy was the star, and LBJ knew it. While LBJ got the Civil Rights bill he knew the Great Society was no New Deal. Nixon only lost to Kennedy because Kennedy was just more of a generational candidate otherwise Nixon would've own the 60's.

1976-Ford- Anybody the democrats put up was going to knock Ford down the stairs.

1980-Carter- Carter's big problem was that everything went wrong in his last year, and Reagan was the strongest candidate the US had seen up until that time in history. Reagan brought a wave of neoliberalism to American politics

1992-Bush- Basically the same as LBJ in that he was no Reagan, and had a lot of bad things happen late

Truman was probably going to lose to Ike regardless, but the direction of the Korean War made him lose favor amongst the public

Taft is the only one that was beaten by a weaker candidate. The reason he lost was because Teddy decided to make a legit third party. Yes it was an electoral landslide, but look at the state by state percentages, and you would see that had it only been one republican then Woodrow wouldn't had a prayer in winning

Trump's difficulty will be convincing the swing state voters that they are in a better situation than they were in 2016. If he does that then he probably walks away with the election. I just don't think the democrats have a legit generational candidate that is able to unite the party and able to avoid uniting the right.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The problem is that in all of those cases except Taft was that in each time a generational candidate was going against a run of the mill sitting president.

1968-LBJ - Kennedy was the star, and LBJ knew it. While LBJ got the Civil Rights bill he knew the Great Society was no New Deal. Nixon only lost to Kennedy because Kennedy was just more of a generational candidate otherwise Nixon would've own the 60's.

1976-Ford- Anybody the democrats put up was going to knock Ford down the stairs.

1980-Carter- Carter's big problem was that everything went wrong in his last year, and Reagan was the strongest candidate the US had seen up until that time in history. Reagan brought a wave of neoliberalism to American politics

1992-Bush- Basically the same as LBJ in that he was no Reagan, and had a lot of bad things happen late

Truman was probably going to lose to Ike regardless, but the direction of the Korean War made him lose favor amongst the public

Taft is the only one that was beaten by a weaker candidate. The reason he lost was because Teddy decided to make a legit third party. Yes it was an electoral landslide, but look at the state by state percentages, and you would see that had it only been one republican then Woodrow wouldn't had a prayer in winning

Trump's difficulty will be convincing the swing state voters that they are in a better situation than they were in 2016. If he does that then he probably walks away with the election. I just don't think the democrats have a legit generational candidate that is able to unite the party and able to avoid uniting the right.
It'll probably come down to the same three states, plus, perhaps, Florida, and how they feel about what Trump has done for them. A lot has to do with how much harm his economic policies have done to the economy between now and then...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
It'll probably come down to the same three states, plus, perhaps, Florida, and how they feel about what Trump has done for them. A lot has to do with how much harm his economic policies have done to the economy between now and then...
Too bad he is too dumb to realize that improving the economy is the thing that will get him re-elected and then come up with a plan that could actually help the economy in a meaningful way. I expect him to change directions on key economic policy issues multiple times in the next year and just make a general mess of things.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

it shouldn't take a generational candidate to undo this garbage. i hope our country is better than that...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.