Amazon’s Retreat on New York City Headquarters Followed Unexpected Backlash

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Only to fan boys like you [emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think what bothers righties the most about AOC is that she's asking the right questions, and is unafraid of doing so.

I don't necessarily agree with her on some things. But it's refreshing to see the status quo squirm a little.

And I think a lot of the vitriol and blame comes from fear of melanin and the fact that she has a last name that ends in a vowel.

Just as the Colin Kaepernick scarecrow has a scary, scary Afro and an opinion that makes people uneasy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think what bothers righties the most about AOC is that she's asking the right questions, and is unafraid of doing so.

I don't necessarily agree with her on some things. But it's refreshing to see the status quo squirm a little.

And I think a lot of the vitriol and blame comes from fear of melanin and the fact that she has a last name that ends in a vowel.

Just as the Colin Kaepernick scarecrow has a scary, scary Afro and an opinion that makes people uneasy.
i think it's hilarious that they are giving a 29 year old neophyte congresswoman this much power by making her the new boogeyman du jour

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Amazon (please) needs to come to Birmingham or somewhere in Alabama.
June 2018: 'The deal is done:' Amazon to bring 1,500 jobs to Bessemer
An Amazon fulfillment center is coming to Bessemer.

"The deal is done. The deal was signed yesterday," Jefferson County Commission President Jimmie Stephens told AL.com on Friday morning.

Amazon will build a $325 million advanced, robotic fulfillment center on 133 acres off Powder Plant Road in Bessemer.

The facility will initially employ 1,500 workers, but that number could grow to 3,000, Stephens said.

Employees will receive full benefits on day one and an average wage of $14.65 an hour.
Amazon received incentives from Bessemer, Jefferson County, Alabama Power and the state of Alabama.

The incentives offered by Jefferson County include paying an amount not to exceed $3.3 million to fund certain roadway improvements and/or reimburse Amazon for a portion of its capital investment.

The development of the property includes installing and equipping certain items of machinery, equipment, furniture, fixtures, and other personal property at the facility necessary for Amazon to conduct customer fulfillment operations.

The Bessemer City Council approved incentives that include reimbursing Amazon for a portion of its capital investment by making quarterly payments to the company over a 10-year period. The payments will be based on the number of Amazon's full-time employees, and the occupational tax collected by the company from these employees and remitted to the city of Bessemer.

The incentives will be calculated as follows: 50 percent of the occupational tax revenues earned on up to one to 2,000 full-time employees; 55 percent earned on 2,001 to 3,000 full-time employees; 60 percent earned on 3,001 to 4,000 full-time employees; and 65 percent earned on 4,000-plus full-time employees.

In the deal, Bessemer will also limit all of its permit fees for Amazon to $200,000 and cap its annual business license tax at $5,000. The city will also agree to partner with Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority to construct and operate an additional transit stop near the site. The city will also agree to provide certain recruitment, screening, and training services.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Um, we’re in agreement. I was just messing with 92tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree, it makes me wonder if she will be a sacrificial lamb in the long run.
it will be interesting to see how she and a lot of the newer crop of dems function in the long term. right now, it seems like pelosi is able to use her fairly effectively as a shiny object to keep the gop puke funnel occupied

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
it will be interesting to see how she and a lot of the newer crop of dems function in the long term. right now, it seems like pelosi is able to use her fairly effectively as a shiny object to keep the gop puke funnel occupied
Laura Ingram tries and fails to call out AOC on Amazon https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a26444063/aoc-laura-ingraham-amazon-billboard-times-square/

also, watch the link to the Tucker Carlson interview it is pure gold though Tucker's language doesn't meet the boards rules

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
She will most likely keep getting elected more and more. Not because people believe she is any good or like what she stands for. People will keep electing her because she is repeatedly in the news and keeps getting talked about. The voting public is stupid and do not know any better. If anyone remembers the last few episodes of Cheers where they make a bet that they could get Woody to get a certain percentage of votes just by showing him on TV and a few posters. Same thing here.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yep, that's a great analogy.

And I don't blame him one bit - he's offering an incredible boost to literally any economy that is willing to give him what he wants.
I find it ironic that many times in situations where a big business is interested in setting up shop in a city. The people and the city council are just as greedy as the big business they ultimately end up accusing. The citizens and city council focus more on what the business is asking for and completely ignore what they are getting out of it. The city I live in has done this time and time again yet wonders why there's no "good paying jobs". If every single thing isn't negotiated to their favor. They turn it down. Life simply doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
She will most likely keep getting elected more and more. Not because people believe she is any good or like what she stands for. People will keep electing her because she is repeatedly in the news and keeps getting talked about. The voting public is stupid and do not know any better. If anyone remembers the last few episodes of Cheers where they make a bet that they could get Woody to get a certain percentage of votes just by showing him on TV and a few posters. Same thing here.
you are part of the voting public (assuming you vote, of course).

and she is repeatedly in the news and keeps getting talked about in large part because she is being used as a boogeyman, much like in your post.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I find it ironic that many times in situations where a big business is interested in setting up shop in a city. The people and the city council are just as greedy as the big business they ultimately end up accusing. The citizens and city council focus more on what the business is asking for and completely ignore what they are getting out of it. The city I live in has done this time and time again yet wonders why there's no "good paying jobs". If every single thing isn't negotiated to their favor. They turn it down. Life simply doesn't work that way.
Many times, it is a power struggle between the business owners and progress.

I think I've mentioned this before on N-S, but when I lived in Dothan, the local businesses fought to keep Michelin from building a plant there because it would drive up the wage base.

I worked at the time for the corporate office that had a plant in Dothan, and I knew that the line workers there made a pittance.

It's almost like many in power don't want the economy to grow. Because it might infringe on their own profits.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Many times, it is a power struggle between the business owners and progress.

I think I've mentioned this before on N-S, but when I lived in Dothan, the local businesses fought to keep Michelin from building a plant there because it would drive up the wage base.

I worked at the time for the corporate office that had a plant in Dothan, and I knew that the line workers there made a pittance.

It's almost like many in power don't want the economy to grow. Because it might infringe on their own profits.
Lived in Mariana, Fl. for several years just down the road from Dothan. Always the same issue.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
you are part of the voting public (assuming you vote, of course).

and she is repeatedly in the news and keeps getting talked about in large part because she is being used as a boogeyman, much like in your post.
I do vote, but I am actually smart. I don’t vote for an individual because they have an R or D next to their names. I don’t vote for someone because they are in the news a lot. I don’t vote for someone because Fox News, CNN, MSNBC tell me to vote for their guy. Where on Earth did I ever say she was a boogeyman? I think she is an idiot that got elected to the house by other idiots. I am simply stating that the right continuing to complain about her and have stories about her in the news will only get her more votes. Do you actually thing the majority of voters is actually smart? There is a mayoral race in Oklahoma where a guy keeps getting votes despite being dead.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.