Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Gators...

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think Alford is much of an upgrade. But clearly Avery's time is short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Hoiberg built Iowa State before Prohm got there.

Wichita State hasn’t been great the last few years. Heck, CAJ is 2-0 against him.

Derrick Dooley was 1-0 against Butch Jones.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
not defending AJ jr but he's not the only player that hasnt improved. He is what he is. He was never a guy we would be able to lean on. He's just someone to give us a few minutes here or there while others rested. I'm more concerned about the guys who were way more touted who are having issues. I've been saying it for 2-3 years and i cant say it enough. We have way to many empty possessions where we either get an awful shot or no shot at all. Part of it is awful ball handling. I've never seen a Bama team with as many lazy passes as this nor as many unforced turnovers (where they simply lost the ball)..though we havent been good lately, I am still behind them

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
All is not lost. We ended the regular season last year on a five game losing streak. We were 8-10 and 17-14. Right now we are 6-6 and 15-10. If we can split the last six I think we have a decent shot at the NCAA if we can pull a couple wins in the SEC tournament.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
For the first time I am starting to waiver just a bit. Today was not a good look. Talent wise I thought we were equal if not better than they were. Equal at home should mean a win.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
As a Bulls fan, was NOT impressed with Hoiberg as a coach. Maybe college is where he is best suited for but I suspect he is waiting to see if he can get an NBA job (T'Wolves, perhaps?).

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
For the first time I am starting to waiver just a bit. Today was not a good look. Talent wise I thought we were equal if not better than they were. Equal at home should mean a win.
Yes, but instead we get routed. I hope we improve and get back to putting a decent product on the floor night after night. It's hard to cheer for a team that doesn't seem to care, though. I can handle losing when there is effort, but this walking around in a daze crap is for the birds. Fortunately, there are many other things I enjoy doing. If they play hard, I'll support them until the end. Roll Tide!

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I, too, am starting to waiver on CAJ. There was never a time in that game where it looked like we would win. In fact, I would have sworn yesterday that we had been transported back to the Grant era. But I agree with everyone else: no improvement, not giving consistent effort, and we are soft.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We have only 1 reliable scorer in Lewis. Can’t win like that. Mack Petty and Norris are Rod Grizzard like and you need consistency

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm not sure what to think. Right now I am still on the side the players need to bring their intensity every game. I doesn't matter what the gameplan is if 2/3rds of your lineup is not producing in any phase of the game. Herb and Dazon and been complete mysteries the whole season. AJJr is not getting enough minutes to disrupt the complete energy of the team.

Honestly, what I think it is the reality for a lot of these players is they are not pro-level players is starting to sink in. They probably thought coming in under CAJ that they would be NBA bound and maybe seeing Collin blow through to the league last year showed them just how far away their game is to get there.

Avery can't make them make shots, he can't shoot the FTs for them and he cant keep them from making the turnovers. With the 20hr rule you cant spend enough practice time to get consistent at FTs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hope you don't mind me asking but out of curiosity....who are your team leaders......and why aren't they "leading"?

I've seen this same thing happen at Florida and at many other programs. Lack of strong team leaders (or A team leader) definitely has a very negative impact.

By default it's usually the juniors or seniors on the team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
An old fellow was sitting down the row from me yesterday. He was an annoying Eeyore, apparently by nature, and the team didn't do anything to help his mood. But midway through the second half, he did say something that I agreed with.

"They're not trying! I'd put the bench in."

On reflection, he was right. The first string was sleepwalking, and clearly didn't care if they were on the floor or not. So, [banned words] yeah, put the bench in.

They may not be as talented as the first team, but what could happen? Clang free throws to the tune of 45%? Turn the ball over in four straight possessions down the stretch? Have defensive lapses ad infinitum? Poor shot selection? Get curb-stomped on the boards? Act like loose balls are dipped in raw sewage?

All that happened with the starting rotation in. Could the scrubs do any worse?

With 18 hours to reflect on it, I really think this was the most disappointing performance in my personal memory. Not because of the loss, but because of the circumstances and context. Last third of the conferee season, (supposedly) fighting to get into the NCAA, at home, against a team who we can match talent-for-talent, and it was clear the players just didn't care.

I've read some criticism of the crowd for being dead. The crowd was in fact dead and leaden as a sack of rocks. Because it took almost five minutes to get the first two points -- ironically, two free throws (we missed 10 of the ensuing 12 to be 4 of 14 at one point) -- and almost 8 minutes to get the first field goal. Before, in between, and after, it was clear the team wasn't even phoning it in...they weren't on the line at all.

So, yeah, if the players don't care, and don't even try to hide their apathy, why should the crowd invest any energy?

It was an inexcusable performance.

I sincerely hope we are embarrassed enough to use it as a springboard. As with fourth marriages, however, I know that might be the triumph of hope over experience.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I cant tell that we have any. The offense doesn't really run through a certain player consistently. Too many different guys bringing the ball up the court. Petty, Kira, and Hall should be your leaders. Dazon is a disaster of he has to handle the ball too much. Norris is probably the closest thing we have to a leader but he has his weaknesses too.

Bottom line is if you cant consistently hit the 3 from someone in your backcourt today you are going to struggle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Back in the day, the crowd would hold a “Rolllllllllllllllll” until the first bucket was hit. I went to the barn game last year, and the few i’ve tried to catch on the tele...i don’t hear or notice anymore? It always had the chance to get the crowd up and going (hitting that quick bucket)! Is it not done anymore?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Back in the day, the crowd would hold a “Rolllllllllllllllll” until the first bucket was hit. I went to the barn game last year, and the few i’ve tried to catch on the tele...i don’t hear or notice anymore? It always had the chance to get the crowd up and going (hitting that quick bucket)! Is it not done anymore?
Not even Pavarotti could hold a note that long. So no, it's not done much anymore.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don’t think it’s been done for awhile now.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
An old fellow was sitting down the row from me yesterday. He was an annoying Eeyore, apparently by nature, and the team didn't do anything to help his mood. But midway through the second half, he did say something that I agreed with.

"They're not trying! I'd put the bench in."

On reflection, he was right. The first string was sleepwalking, and clearly didn't care if they were on the floor or not. So, [banned words] yeah, put the bench in.

They may not be as talented as the first team, but what could happen? Clang free throws to the tune of 45%? Turn the ball over in four straight possessions down the stretch? Have defensive lapses ad infinitum? Poor shot selection? Get curb-stomped on the boards? Act like loose balls are dipped in raw sewage?

All that happened with the starting rotation in. Could the scrubs do any worse?

With 18 hours to reflect on it, I really think this was the most disappointing performance in my personal memory. Not because of the loss, but because of the circumstances and context. Last third of the conferee season, (supposedly) fighting to get into the NCAA, at home, against a team who we can match talent-for-talent, and it was clear the players just didn't care.

I've read some criticism of the crowd for being dead. The crowd was in fact dead and leaden as a sack of rocks. Because it took almost five minutes to get the first two points -- ironically, two free throws (we missed 10 of the ensuing 12 to be 4 of 14 at one point) -- and almost 8 minutes to get the first field goal. Before, in between, and after, it was clear the team wasn't even phoning it in...they weren't on the line at all.

So, yeah, if the players don't care, and don't even try to hide their apathy, why should the crowd invest any energy?

It was an inexcusable performance.

I sincerely hope we are embarrassed enough to use it as a springboard. As with fourth marriages, however, I know that might be the triumph of hope over experience.
Thought the same thing and can think of a few coaches who would have done exactly that. If they aren't going to give effort I would not play them. Period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.