Gymnastics coaching question
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Gymnastics coaching question

Is Dana Duckworth feeling some heat? I heard some rumbles last year around the athletic department and amongst prominent boosters and fans, and I am hearing more this year. Does she have anything to worry about? All I hear lately is how much the gymnastics team has declined over the last couple of years.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Re: Gymnastics coaching question

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    Is Dana Duckworth feeling some heat? I heard some rumbles last year around the athletic department and amongst prominent boosters and fans, and I am hearing more this year. Does she have anything to worry about? All I hear lately is how much the gymnastics team has declined over the last couple of years.
    Big shoes to feel. Coach Patterson single handedly built that program and deserves a statue right along with the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bamanut_aj View Post
    Big shoes to feel. Coach Patterson single handedly built that program and deserves a statue right along with the others.
    Exactly. Big shoes and big expectations. This year hasn't met expectations and that can be a problem.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Tough to follow a legend. Ask every football coach we have had since Bryant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

I hope the AD doesn't let the program continue to slide. Took 20 years but baseball went from one of the top programs in the country to a SEC bottom feeder. Women's basketball went from a top 25 program to the basement. When you start to see the slippage, you have to correct. If that means changing coaches, then that is what you have to do.

BamaNation Second Team

We are currently ranked #8 in the nation - not bad, but not on the Elite level like we used to be. I think she needs some more time to build her program, not relying on the recruiting done by Patterson. She has only been the coach for 2 years - and us losing Kiana Winston, Aja Sims and Nickie Guerrero - those are huge holes to fill. FYI - love Aja Sims floor routine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRxlPDWLwQ

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    I hope the AD doesn't let the program continue to slide. Took 20 years but baseball went from one of the top programs in the country to a SEC bottom feeder. Women's basketball went from a top 25 program to the basement. When you start to see the slippage, you have to correct. If that means changing coaches, then that is what you have to do.
    Menís basketball, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DallasRTR View Post
    We are currently ranked #8 in the nation - not bad, but not on the Elite level like we used to be. I think she needs some more time to build her program, not relying on the recruiting done by Patterson. She has only been the coach for 2 years - and us losing Kiana Winston, Aja Sims and Nickie Guerrero - those are huge holes to fill. FYI - love Aja Sims floor routine.

This is her 5th years

https://rolltide.com/coaches.aspx?rc=902&path=wgym

Quote Originally Posted by DallasRTR View Post
    FYI - love Aja Sims floor routine.
    Really? I can't stand it.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaHoHo View Post
    Correct. This is her 5th year as head coach. If she isn't feeling some heat, she should be. In her first four years as head coach, she finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd at the SEC championship. At nationals, she has gone 4th, 3rd, 6th and 8th. As things stand now, it appears that there is a good chance that our gymnastics team may fail to qualify for nationals for the first time since 1982. Let that sink in .. we have qualified for nationals 36 consecutive years. No other program can claim that, but the streak could well fall this year.

This is not a matter of talent. We have a ton of talent on the team and have the capability of competing with anyone in the country. However, we give away 10ths in our routines at an alarming rate. Giving away 10ths will get you beat. After every meet, Dana says the same thing. She repeats that its the little things that cost us those 10ths and it is things that we can easily fix. Unfortunately, they aren't getting fixed.

I know Dana personally and think highly of her. I hope she can be successful as a head coach. However, things aren't trending in that direction.

I've no idea if Dana's job is in any danger, but her team came from behind tonight in the last rotation to beat auburn 196.70-196.40. That kept auburn from winning, at least a share of, the SEC regular season title. I'm not offering excuses for her, but the list of injuries her team has had this year is a lengthy one.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    I've no idea if Dana's job is in any danger, but her team came from behind tonight in the last rotation to beat auburn 196.70-196.40. That kept auburn from winning, at least a share of, the SEC regular season title. I'm not offering excuses for her, but the list of injuries her team has had this year is a lengthy one.
    The comeback was only necessary because of 2 falls on beam, though.