Gymnastics coaching question

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Is Dana Duckworth feeling some heat? I heard some rumbles last year around the athletic department and amongst prominent boosters and fans, and I am hearing more this year. Does she have anything to worry about? All I hear lately is how much the gymnastics team has declined over the last couple of years.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Is Dana Duckworth feeling some heat? I heard some rumbles last year around the athletic department and amongst prominent boosters and fans, and I am hearing more this year. Does she have anything to worry about? All I hear lately is how much the gymnastics team has declined over the last couple of years.
Big shoes to feel. Coach Patterson single handedly built that program and deserves a statue right along with the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Tough to follow a legend. Ask every football coach we have had since Bryant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I hope the AD doesn't let the program continue to slide. Took 20 years but baseball went from one of the top programs in the country to a SEC bottom feeder. Women's basketball went from a top 25 program to the basement. When you start to see the slippage, you have to correct. If that means changing coaches, then that is what you have to do.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
We are currently ranked #8 in the nation - not bad, but not on the Elite level like we used to be. I think she needs some more time to build her program, not relying on the recruiting done by Patterson. She has only been the coach for 2 years - and us losing Kiana Winston, Aja Sims and Nickie Guerrero - those are huge holes to fill. FYI - love Aja Sims floor routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRxlPDWLwQ

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I hope the AD doesn't let the program continue to slide. Took 20 years but baseball went from one of the top programs in the country to a SEC bottom feeder. Women's basketball went from a top 25 program to the basement. When you start to see the slippage, you have to correct. If that means changing coaches, then that is what you have to do.
Men’s basketball, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
We are currently ranked #8 in the nation - not bad, but not on the Elite level like we used to be. I think she needs some more time to build her program, not relying on the recruiting done by Patterson. She has only been the coach for 2 years - and us losing Kiana Winston, Aja Sims and Nickie Guerrero - those are huge holes to fill. FYI - love Aja Sims floor routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRxlPDWLwQ

This is her 5th years

https://rolltide.com/coaches.aspx?rc=902&path=wgym

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Correct. This is her 5th year as head coach. If she isn't feeling some heat, she should be. In her first four years as head coach, she finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd at the SEC championship. At nationals, she has gone 4th, 3rd, 6th and 8th. As things stand now, it appears that there is a good chance that our gymnastics team may fail to qualify for nationals for the first time since 1982. Let that sink in .. we have qualified for nationals 36 consecutive years. No other program can claim that, but the streak could well fall this year.

This is not a matter of talent. We have a ton of talent on the team and have the capability of competing with anyone in the country. However, we give away 10ths in our routines at an alarming rate. Giving away 10ths will get you beat. After every meet, Dana says the same thing. She repeats that its the little things that cost us those 10ths and it is things that we can easily fix. Unfortunately, they aren't getting fixed.

I know Dana personally and think highly of her. I hope she can be successful as a head coach. However, things aren't trending in that direction.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've no idea if Dana's job is in any danger, but her team came from behind tonight in the last rotation to beat auburn 196.70-196.40. That kept auburn from winning, at least a share of, the SEC regular season title. I'm not offering excuses for her, but the list of injuries her team has had this year is a lengthy one.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I've no idea if Dana's job is in any danger, but her team came from behind tonight in the last rotation to beat auburn 196.70-196.40. That kept auburn from winning, at least a share of, the SEC regular season title. I'm not offering excuses for her, but the list of injuries her team has had this year is a lengthy one.
The comeback was only necessary because of 2 falls on beam, though.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The comeback was only necessary because of 2 falls on beam, though.
Yes, I watched the meet. Still, they overcame two falls on the beams - and won. It's not like Dana pushed them off the beam. :rolleyes:

UA posted season high scores on vault and bars, perhaps floor as well, but only two falls are mentioned. I'm neither friend nor foe of CDD and don't have any idea if she is a good coach or not, but I'm willing to give credit when and where it is due. Blaming CDD for two falls on beam is like blaming Coach Saban for Tua throwing two picks. Neither of those outcomes is what either kid or coach wanted or intended.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Oops, duplicate because of the new ad format wreaking havoc with my browser.

Last edited:

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
This team has yet to score over 197 this season. They are not getting better and it’s been a decline since Sarah retired. I personally think it’s time for a change. There’s too much talent on this team to not be more competitive with Florida & LSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
well, every year has been a decline since she came on board, and now, we don't make the Nationals for the first time since Sara started the program up...

It's got to have a change.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.