ADMIN NOTE: Upcoming site upgrades & latest status - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar

Re: Upcoming site upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    TF already has that function. The arrow icon next to the thread title takes you to the first new post you haven't read.
    I know. I didn’t find out until a few months ago about that, however. The way the other website has it set up is better, IMO.
    Last edited by Jessica4Bama; February 22nd, 2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Hebrews 11:1

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    TF already has that function. The arrow icon next to the thread title takes you to the first new post you haven't read.
    Depending on the browser, it does not always work that way. For instance, in Firefox, it takes me to the last post in he thread, not my first unread post. In Chrome, I am taken to my first unread post. Probably has something to do with the way that browsers manage cookies.
    Last edited by B1GTide; February 22nd, 2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    I know. I didn’t find out until a few months ago about that, however. The way the other website has it set up is better, IMO.
    I am a member of a Disney site that must store the information in a user history on the site because even in Firefox, with cookies disabled, I am automatically taken to my first unread post. But the entire forum loos different, so they may be running on a completely different platform.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Depending on the browser, it does not always work that way. For instance, in Firefox, it takes me to the last post in he thread, not my first unread post. In Chrome, I am taken to my first unread post. Probably has something to do with the way that browsers manage cookies.
    Probably because Chrome doesn't recognize the posts I've read on TapaTalk all of the time.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Not related to site upgrade but a question for those in the know. I am using an iPad2 version 9.3.5 and I cannot upgrade to a newer version. I have always used the web browser that came with the iPad, Safari. I have noticed over the past year how slow the iPad runs, especially on Tidefans. It hangs up and continually reloads. I have run all sorts of turning things off, hard resets, resetting to factory installation, etc. based on Apple support suggestions. One day I went to Settings > Safari > Advanced > JavaScript. I turned off JavaScript, went to Tidefans and it was lighting fast, no reloading. That was great but I could not give Thanks, Likes, etc nor reply with quote. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Third Team

Mainly because I am so used to people complaining about change. I'm not going to let the opportunity pass me by...CHANGE? WHY CHANGE? IF IT AIN'T BROKE WHY DO YOU WANT TO MESS WITH IT? GOOD GRIEF, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST LEAVE THINGS ALONE! ​Seriously, keep up the great work!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar

I do notice, too, that the ad at the top covers up the majority of the tabs like my inbox, my profile, etc. I’m using an iPad, though.
    Hebrews 11:1

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I turned off JavaScript, went to Tidefans and it was lighting fast, no reloading. That was great but I could not give Thanks, Likes, etc nor reply with quote. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
    I expect as we move through the upgrade process with a forum upgrade over the coming months, this should improve noticeably. Probably not much that you/we can do presently. It's optimized about as much as this version of vbulletin allows without total customization.
    I do notice, too, that the ad at the top covers up the majority of the tabs like my inbox, my profile, etc. I’m using an iPad, though.
    Yep - as I posted earlier this morning, we're working on it Might be a few hours to get it straightened out.

Thanks for the patience as we work through our own version of The Process!

Thanks, Brett I cannot give you a Thanks without JavaScript turned on.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Thanks, Brett I cannot give you a Thanks without JavaScript turned on.
    Thanks. Do me a favor when you get a chance and see loading is now any better. I just tweaked a couple of the JS lines to defer loading. So, the overall site might load faster for you now. If not, just go back to what you had...As you know, Ipad 2's are really really really slow given modern browser technology. Especially sites that are interactive. As I mentioned, I imagine that once we upgrade the forum software it should be better, as well.

I know. I didnít find out until a few months ago about that, however. The way the other website has it set up is better, IMO.
    This feature has changed my life when I read about it.

Will do and let you know. Thanks.

ETA: Some improvement when going from thread to thread in Tidefans, but if I click on a link in a thread I get the same result, slow and reloading. Could be the liked site and the fact that this iPad2 is at least eight years old. I will let you know if it improves.
    Last edited by GrayTide; February 22nd, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

My early feedback on the ad changes: * It takes too long for a page to load now - up to 5 seconds, which is crazy long. * While the page is loading the page jumps up and down as the ads load, making the wait even more frustrating. * The ad at the bottom of the page covers actual site content, which essentially makes the page shorter as you have to scroll sooner. Also, I put each bullet on a separate line but the change implemented rolled them up together in one paragraph, as if the "return" had not been entered between the lines.