ADMIN NOTE: Upcoming site upgrades & latest status

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Re: Upcoming site upgrades

I turned off JavaScript, went to Tidefans and it was lighting fast, no reloading. That was great but I could not give Thanks, Likes, etc nor reply with quote. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
I expect as we move through the upgrade process with a forum upgrade over the coming months, this should improve noticeably. Probably not much that you/we can do presently. It's optimized about as much as this version of vbulletin allows without total customization.
I do notice, too, that the ad at the top covers up the majority of the tabs like my inbox, my profile, etc. I’m using an iPad, though.
Yep - as I posted earlier this morning, we're working on it :) Might be a few hours to get it straightened out.

Thanks for the patience as we work through our own version of The Process! :D

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Thanks, Brett I cannot give you a Thanks without JavaScript turned on.
Thanks. Do me a favor when you get a chance and see loading is now any better. I just tweaked a couple of the JS lines to defer loading. So, the overall site might load faster for you now. If not, just go back to what you had...As you know, Ipad 2's are really really really slow given modern browser technology. Especially sites that are interactive. As I mentioned, I imagine that once we upgrade the forum software it should be better, as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Will do and let you know. Thanks.

ETA: Some improvement when going from thread to thread in Tidefans, but if I click on a link in a thread I get the same result, slow and reloading. Could be the liked site and the fact that this iPad2 is at least eight years old. I will let you know if it improves.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

My early feedback on the ad changes: * It takes too long for a page to load now - up to 5 seconds, which is crazy long. * While the page is loading the page jumps up and down as the ads load, making the wait even more frustrating. * The ad at the bottom of the page covers actual site content, which essentially makes the page shorter as you have to scroll sooner. Also, I put each bullet on a separate line but the change implemented rolled them up together in one paragraph, as if the "return" had not been entered between the lines.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

My early feedback on the ad changes: * It takes too long for a page to load now - up to 5 seconds, which is crazy long. * While the page is loading the page jumps up and down as the ads load, making the wait even more frustrating. * The ad at the bottom of the page covers actual site content, which essentially makes the page shorter as you have to scroll sooner. Also, I put each bullet on a separate line but the change implemented rolled them up together in one paragraph, as if the "return" had not been entered between the lines.
I’ve had the same problem with line spacing. Noticed the toolbar was gone when I needed to embed a tweet or link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I have no problem loading pages but as others reported thanking or liking a post is not working for me now. I understand very little about how the pop up ads at the bottom of the page are selected but they will require a some doing to become accustomed to.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Thanks for the early feedback. We're still tweaking and will take this feedback and work on items still having issues. Feel free to also send me a PM if necessary.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This is what I notice too. I just can't click "like" right now.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

I’ve had the same problem with line spacing. Noticed the toolbar was gone when I needed to embed a tweet or link.
Same here on the toolbar. Working on it now. Was it there for you earlier in the day?The spacing issue is an issue that vbulletin 4x has in the new browsers over the last year or so. Not much can be done until we upgrade. We do have a workaround that might work - if you hit spacebar before you start typing that sometimes "fixes" it.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

One other thing - what browser are you all using if you're having problems? For me, the site works best using Chrome.

also...I think I just fixed the toolbar. You may have to do a refresh and/or clear you cache. I did not but you ​may.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Same here on the toolbar. Working on it now. Was it there for you earlier in the day?The spacing issue is an issue that vbulletin 4x has in the new browsers over the last year or so. Not much can be done until we upgrade. We do have a workaround that might work - if you hit spacebar before you start typing that sometimes "fixes" it.
It was there earlier this morning. Using Chrome btw.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Upcoming site upgrades

Here are some fixes...

Only a few threads displaying?
1) You can change # of threads to view at very bottom of page ( view last X days)
2) You can also change your default last # days to view in your profile.

Editor not displaying toolbar or causing other significant problems?
The editor should be fixed now. Do refresh if you have problems.

Do you have other major issues?
Any other major issues? Post them here or in the troubleshooting forum. We will work on the page load times, etc. as well.
Also, when posting a problem, please let me know your browser (IE, Edge, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc), your device (PC, Mac, ipad, phone, etc).
Please be patient as we work through the new setup! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

One other thing - what browser are you all using if you're having problems? For me, the site works best using Chrome.

also...I think I just fixed the toolbar. You may have to do a refresh and/or clear you cache. I did not but you ​may.
I use Firefox at work and have had no problems.
I use Edge at home and will let you know.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I hope things change because right now its very annoying
I agree. I understand the whole gotta have ads thing to keep it free, but that one at the bottom gets on my nerves. LOL. It follows you when you scroll and it doesn’t do any good to click out of it. It’ll appear again.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

I use Chrome.

The only issue I have is sometimes I can't reply to certain posts. Says it has to have 3 characters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.