Why delay the inevitable? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 57
  1. #40
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    2,981

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Well, it is what it is. This is a discussion board, and discuss we will.
    It is a free country and you guys can discuss whatever you want. I am just saying that threads on coaching changes are or can be detrimental to recruiting. I want the program to succeed as much or more than probably almost any here. I've been to literally hundreds of games so I am invested in the program. I just want us to compete at the highest possible level and click bait on changing coaches doesn't help us in the long run.

  2. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,322

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I can tell you unless he leaves on his own this year, there will be no changes. You guys can put that out of your head. Debating coaching candidates serves no meaningful purpose at this point. We still have a team playing and that should be the focus. We are at least a year away from any potential changes being made at head coach. Our AD believes in stability. Remember recruits are watching.

    Edit: I'll qualify my statement. Unless there are other issues we are unaware of at this point.
    I suspect you are correct. If I'm Byrne I sit down with Avery and admonish and encourage him to understand he's not coaching self-motivated men who already have good basketball fundamentals.

    Just getting CAJ to agree to stressing and returning to the fundamentals of basketball would be a huge step to correct most of what ails us right now.

  3. #42
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,230

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    It is a free country and you guys can discuss whatever you want. I am just saying that threads on coaching changes are or can be detrimental to recruiting. I want the program to succeed as much or more than probably almost any here. I've been to literally hundreds of games so I am invested in the program. I just want us to compete at the highest possible level and click bait on changing coaches doesn't help us in the long run.
    My take is that anyone who makes the effort to find this place and post wants to see Alabama BB succeed. I want whatever is holding this program back to be fixed. If that can be done with the man in charge now then great. If not, there needs to be a change. Considering what we witnessed this past week it's a valid discussion. If yahoos on a message board scare someone away then they probably couldn't hack it anyway.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  4. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,515

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I suspect you are correct. If I'm Byrne I sit down with Avery and admonish and encourage him to understand he's not coaching self-motivated men who already have good basketball fundamentals.

    Just getting CAJ to agree to stressing and returning to the fundamentals of basketball would be a huge step to correct most of what ails us right now.
    I don't think CAJ needs anybody to tell him what he needs to do including Byrne. He/Pelphrey/Petway sees it much more clearly than any of us do and realizes what needs to be done. Whether or not he can turn it around at this point remains to be unseen.

  5. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,515

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    My take is that anyone who makes the effort to find this place and post wants to see Alabama BB succeed. I want whatever is holding this program back to be fixed. If that can be done with the man in charge now then great. If not, there needs to be a change. Considering what we witnessed this past week it's a valid discussion. If yahoos on a message board scare someone away then they probably couldn't hack it anyway.
    Will it be a valid discussion if we win 3 or 4 in a row and make the tourney? CAJ has been here 3 1/2 years and done more in this time than Grant did in 6 years and Gottfried did his last few years. I hate and was disgusted by the way we played last week but not ready to fire the coach especially with a lot of the season left to play and a lot to play for.

  6. #45
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    12,230

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Will it be a valid discussion if we win 3 or 4 in a row and make the tourney? CAJ has been here 3 1/2 years and done more in this time than Grant did in 6 years and Gottfried did his last few years. I hate and was disgusted by the way we played last week but not ready to fire the coach especially with a lot of the season left to play and a lot to play for.
    That depends. We all know it's more than two lackluster performances. Those were just the proverbial straw to tip the balance on the issue for now. There is still time to either change minds or solidify a growing sentiment.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

    The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

  7. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,515

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    That depends. We all know it's more than two lackluster performances. Those were just the proverbial straw to tip the balance on the issue for now. There is still time to either change minds or solidify a growing sentiment.
    The general sentiment on the board prior to last week was positive, even to the point where Linnepatrick was told to back down harshly on his negative comments. I'm just saying it is never as bad or as good as we think. We can be 8-6 in the league at the end of this week and be firmly back in the tourney and look like the team that beat UK and should have beaten UT.

  8. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,322

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I don't think CAJ needs anybody to tell him what he needs to do including Byrne. He/Pelphrey/Petway sees it much more clearly than any of us do and realizes what needs to be done. Whether or not he can turn it around at this point remains to be unseen.
    You'd think, but the product on the floor says otherwise. We don't have inbound plays for crying out loud! Press break is basically a jumpcut to get open and if you are lucky there's one screen. Passing is atrocious. Ball handling, especially Jr. is ridiculous. At times we don't have one shooter on the floor with strange substitution patterns.

    I know all this has been mentioned repeatedly, but it seems like the little details are getting swept under the rug and ignored.

  9. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,539

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Will it be a valid discussion if we win 3 or 4 in a row and make the tourney? CAJ has been here 3 1/2 years and done more in this time than Grant did in 6 years and Gottfried did his last few years. I hate and was disgusted by the way we played last week but not ready to fire the coach especially with a lot of the season left to play and a lot to play for.
    For me it depends on how we play. We can play pretty bad and still squeak by aTm and Vandy. Also, this is the weakest the bubble has been for the tournament in a long time. It's more of an indictment that we're still not good enough to be firmly in the tournament than some great achievement if we make it. Again, have to take into account the circumstances and not just look at results.

    Just speaking for myself this past weekend had nothing to do with my position on Avery. Since the end of year 2 and beginning of year 3 I've been saying the program is not improving as a whole. That was concerning to me then and it still is now regardless of how we finish. Saying Avery has done more than Grant when Grant did basically nothing isn't saying much. I wanted Avery to succeed but as I've been saying for a few years now I just don't see it happening. 4 years is ample time to improve the program..

  10. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,515

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    You'd think, but the product on the floor says otherwise. We don't have inbound plays for crying out loud! Press break is basically a jumpcut to get open and if you are lucky there's one screen. Passing is atrocious. Ball handling, especially Jr. is ridiculous. At times we don't have one shooter on the floor with strange substitution patterns.

    I know all this has been mentioned repeatedly, but it seems like the little details are getting swept under the rug and ignored.
    I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.

  11. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,515

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    For me it depends on how we play. We can play pretty bad and still squeak by aTm and Vandy. Also, this is the weakest the bubble has been for the tournament in a long time. It's more of an indictment that we're still not good enough to be firmly in the tournament than some great achievement if we make it. Again, have to take into account the circumstances and not just look at results.

    Just speaking for myself this past weekend had nothing to do with my position on Avery. Since the end of year 2 and beginning of year 3 I've been saying the program is not improving as a whole. That was concerning to me then and it still is now regardless of how we finish. Saying Avery has done more than Grant when Grant did basically nothing isn't saying much. I wanted Avery to succeed but as I've been saying for a few years now I just don't see it happening. 4 years is ample time to improve the program..
    What is your criteria on "depends on he we play"? Win by 20, less than 10 turnovers, make 90 percent of our FT's and/or make 50 percent of our 3's? A win is a win and winning promotes confidence especially to a team that lacks it right now. Lets go 2-0 this week and go from there. Anything less than 2-0 this week I will probably change my position.

  12. #51
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,308

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.
    Think it's been pretty clear I support Avery but am gradually getting to the idea of a change if things don't improve.

    That being said, the rankings point to this being just Bama.

    Turnovers per game:

    2016 - #237 (13.3 per game)
    2017 - #263 (13.9 per game)
    2018 - #298 (14.3 per game)
    2019 - #206 (13.5 per game)

    FT%:

    2016 - #327 (64.3%)
    2017 - #318 (65.3%)
    2018 - #310 (67%)
    2019 - #254 (68.3%)

    There are 351 D-1 programs.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,322

    Re: Why delay the inevitable?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.
    If they practice inbound plays wouldn't they run them in the game?

    If a player makes a lazy pass, if they've practiced proper passing, wouldn't the coach yank his butt out and chew on him if they had been practicing that?

    It's been a while since I've played, but that's how I remember things.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com