Why delay the inevitable? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Re: Why delay the inevitable?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Think it's been pretty clear I support Avery but am gradually getting to the idea of a change if things don't improve.

That being said, the rankings point to this being just Bama.

Turnovers per game:

2016 - #237 (13.3 per game)
    2017 - #263 (13.9 per game)
    2018 - #298 (14.3 per game)
    2019 - #206 (13.5 per game)

FT%:

2016 - #327 (64.3%)
    2017 - #318 (65.3%)
    2018 - #310 (67%)
    2019 - #254 (68.3%)

There are 351 D-1 programs.
    So we have improved this year . I know we make mistakes and my point is we watch every single Bama game with a fine tooth comb but we rarely watch anyone else except for a few times a year and I'm sure some of these other teams make mistakes also.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    So we have improved this year . I know we make mistakes and my point is we watch every single Bama game with a fine tooth comb but we rarely watch anyone else except for a few times a year and I'm sure some of these other teams make mistakes also.
    There's a difference in having a bad game full of mistakes a couple of times in a season and being at best in the bottom 59% in the nation in turnovers per game or FT %.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.
    Just whose responsibility is it to hold the players accountable? The head coach, correct? What evidence do you have that Avery holds his players accountable for sloppy play, poor effort, lazy passes, poor fundamentals? I have yet to see it. Has he ever gotten in a players face during a game? Has he ever pulled a player for carelessness? You say you find it hard to believe he has not coached up our guys in fundamentals. Again, why do we rarely see it? Wouldn't it manifest itself on the court if fundamentals were stressed? There is no question we have made progress since the Grant era. In my opinion it just hasn't been enough and the SEC is going to be too tough going forward. I just do not believe our coach will be able to consistently compete in the SEC to the level I would like. I am not asking for a Final Four caliber program. I just want one that makes the NCAA tournament COMFORTABLY most years and plays on the second weekend of the tournament three or four times in a ten year span (basically similar to the Wimp Sanderson era). I do not think that is too much to ask and I also think it is asking too much of Avery Johnson.

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    Just whose responsibility is it to hold the players accountable? The head coach, correct? What evidence do you have that Avery holds his players accountable for sloppy play, poor effort, lazy passes, poor fundamentals? I have yet to see it. Has he ever gotten in a players face during a game? Has he ever pulled a player for carelessness? You say you find it hard to believe he has not coached up our guys in fundamentals. Again, why do we rarely see it? Wouldn't it manifest itself on the court if fundamentals were stressed? There is no question we have made progress since the Grant era. In my opinion it just hasn't been enough and the SEC is going to be too tough going forward. I just do not believe our coach will be able to consistently compete in the SEC to the level I would like. I am not asking for a Final Four caliber program. I just want one that makes the NCAA tournament COMFORTABLY most years and plays on the second weekend of the tournament three or four times in a ten year span (basically similar to the Wimp Sanderson era). I do not think that is too much to ask and I also think it is asking too much of Avery Johnson.
    I obviously know your position. Let's win tonight and see what happens.