Why delay the inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can tell you unless he leaves on his own this year, there will be no changes. You guys can put that out of your head. Debating coaching candidates serves no meaningful purpose at this point. We still have a team playing and that should be the focus. We are at least a year away from any potential changes being made at head coach. Our AD believes in stability. Remember recruits are watching.

Edit: I'll qualify my statement. Unless there are other issues we are unaware of at this point.
I suspect you are correct. If I'm Byrne I sit down with Avery and admonish and encourage him to understand he's not coaching self-motivated men who already have good basketball fundamentals.

Just getting CAJ to agree to stressing and returning to the fundamentals of basketball would be a huge step to correct most of what ails us right now.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It is a free country and you guys can discuss whatever you want. I am just saying that threads on coaching changes are or can be detrimental to recruiting. I want the program to succeed as much or more than probably almost any here. I've been to literally hundreds of games so I am invested in the program. I just want us to compete at the highest possible level and click bait on changing coaches doesn't help us in the long run.
My take is that anyone who makes the effort to find this place and post wants to see Alabama BB succeed. I want whatever is holding this program back to be fixed. If that can be done with the man in charge now then great. If not, there needs to be a change. Considering what we witnessed this past week it's a valid discussion. If yahoos on a message board scare someone away then they probably couldn't hack it anyway.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I suspect you are correct. If I'm Byrne I sit down with Avery and admonish and encourage him to understand he's not coaching self-motivated men who already have good basketball fundamentals.

Just getting CAJ to agree to stressing and returning to the fundamentals of basketball would be a huge step to correct most of what ails us right now.
I don't think CAJ needs anybody to tell him what he needs to do including Byrne. He/Pelphrey/Petway sees it much more clearly than any of us do and realizes what needs to be done. Whether or not he can turn it around at this point remains to be unseen.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My take is that anyone who makes the effort to find this place and post wants to see Alabama BB succeed. I want whatever is holding this program back to be fixed. If that can be done with the man in charge now then great. If not, there needs to be a change. Considering what we witnessed this past week it's a valid discussion. If yahoos on a message board scare someone away then they probably couldn't hack it anyway.
Will it be a valid discussion if we win 3 or 4 in a row and make the tourney? CAJ has been here 3 1/2 years and done more in this time than Grant did in 6 years and Gottfried did his last few years. I hate and was disgusted by the way we played last week but not ready to fire the coach especially with a lot of the season left to play and a lot to play for.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Will it be a valid discussion if we win 3 or 4 in a row and make the tourney? CAJ has been here 3 1/2 years and done more in this time than Grant did in 6 years and Gottfried did his last few years. I hate and was disgusted by the way we played last week but not ready to fire the coach especially with a lot of the season left to play and a lot to play for.
That depends. We all know it's more than two lackluster performances. Those were just the proverbial straw to tip the balance on the issue for now. There is still time to either change minds or solidify a growing sentiment.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That depends. We all know it's more than two lackluster performances. Those were just the proverbial straw to tip the balance on the issue for now. There is still time to either change minds or solidify a growing sentiment.
The general sentiment on the board prior to last week was positive, even to the point where Linnepatrick was told to back down harshly on his negative comments. I'm just saying it is never as bad or as good as we think. We can be 8-6 in the league at the end of this week and be firmly back in the tourney and look like the team that beat UK and should have beaten UT.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think CAJ needs anybody to tell him what he needs to do including Byrne. He/Pelphrey/Petway sees it much more clearly than any of us do and realizes what needs to be done. Whether or not he can turn it around at this point remains to be unseen.
You'd think, but the product on the floor says otherwise. We don't have inbound plays for crying out loud! Press break is basically a jumpcut to get open and if you are lucky there's one screen. Passing is atrocious. Ball handling, especially Jr. is ridiculous. At times we don't have one shooter on the floor with strange substitution patterns.

I know all this has been mentioned repeatedly, but it seems like the little details are getting swept under the rug and ignored.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
For me it depends on how we play. We can play pretty bad and still squeak by aTm and Vandy. Also, this is the weakest the bubble has been for the tournament in a long time. It's more of an indictment that we're still not good enough to be firmly in the tournament than some great achievement if we make it. Again, have to take into account the circumstances and not just look at results.

Just speaking for myself this past weekend had nothing to do with my position on Avery. Since the end of year 2 and beginning of year 3 I've been saying the program is not improving as a whole. That was concerning to me then and it still is now regardless of how we finish. Saying Avery has done more than Grant when Grant did basically nothing isn't saying much. I wanted Avery to succeed but as I've been saying for a few years now I just don't see it happening. 4 years is ample time to improve the program..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You'd think, but the product on the floor says otherwise. We don't have inbound plays for crying out loud! Press break is basically a jumpcut to get open and if you are lucky there's one screen. Passing is atrocious. Ball handling, especially Jr. is ridiculous. At times we don't have one shooter on the floor with strange substitution patterns.

I know all this has been mentioned repeatedly, but it seems like the little details are getting swept under the rug and ignored.
I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
For me it depends on how we play. We can play pretty bad and still squeak by aTm and Vandy. Also, this is the weakest the bubble has been for the tournament in a long time. It's more of an indictment that we're still not good enough to be firmly in the tournament than some great achievement if we make it. Again, have to take into account the circumstances and not just look at results.

Just speaking for myself this past weekend had nothing to do with my position on Avery. Since the end of year 2 and beginning of year 3 I've been saying the program is not improving as a whole. That was concerning to me then and it still is now regardless of how we finish. Saying Avery has done more than Grant when Grant did basically nothing isn't saying much. I wanted Avery to succeed but as I've been saying for a few years now I just don't see it happening. 4 years is ample time to improve the program..
What is your criteria on "depends on he we play"? Win by 20, less than 10 turnovers, make 90 percent of our FT's and/or make 50 percent of our 3's? A win is a win and winning promotes confidence especially to a team that lacks it right now. Lets go 2-0 this week and go from there. Anything less than 2-0 this week I will probably change my position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't buy it is all coaching, players have to be held accountable in some of this. I would find it hard to believe that CAJ with his many years of playing and coaching has not coached up our guys in fundamentals, passing and in-bound plays as little as you and some have made it out. I wonder if these mistakes are made at other schools or is it just Bama. IMO if we make the tourney for a second straight year it is making progress that we have not experienced in a long time.
Think it's been pretty clear I support Avery but am gradually getting to the idea of a change if things don't improve.

That being said, the rankings point to this being just Bama.

Turnovers per game:

2016 - #237 (13.3 per game)
2017 - #263 (13.9 per game)
2018 - #298 (14.3 per game)
2019 - #206 (13.5 per game)

FT%:

2016 - #327 (64.3%)
2017 - #318 (65.3%)
2018 - #310 (67%)
2019 - #254 (68.3%)

There are 351 D-1 programs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If they practice inbound plays wouldn't they run them in the game?

If a player makes a lazy pass, if they've practiced proper passing, wouldn't the coach yank his butt out and chew on him if they had been practicing that?

It's been a while since I've played, but that's how I remember things.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Think it's been pretty clear I support Avery but am gradually getting to the idea of a change if things don't improve.

That being said, the rankings point to this being just Bama.

Turnovers per game:

2016 - #237 (13.3 per game)
2017 - #263 (13.9 per game)
2018 - #298 (14.3 per game)
2019 - #206 (13.5 per game)

FT%:

2016 - #327 (64.3%)
2017 - #318 (65.3%)
2018 - #310 (67%)
2019 - #254 (68.3%)

There are 351 D-1 programs.
So we have improved this year :wink:. I know we make mistakes and my point is we watch every single Bama game with a fine tooth comb but we rarely watch anyone else except for a few times a year and I'm sure some of these other teams make mistakes also.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So we have improved this year :wink:. I know we make mistakes and my point is we watch every single Bama game with a fine tooth comb but we rarely watch anyone else except for a few times a year and I'm sure some of these other teams make mistakes also.
There's a difference in having a bad game full of mistakes a couple of times in a season and being at best in the bottom 59% in the nation in turnovers per game or FT %.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Just whose responsibility is it to hold the players accountable? The head coach, correct? What evidence do you have that Avery holds his players accountable for sloppy play, poor effort, lazy passes, poor fundamentals? I have yet to see it. Has he ever gotten in a players face during a game? Has he ever pulled a player for carelessness? You say you find it hard to believe he has not coached up our guys in fundamentals. Again, why do we rarely see it? Wouldn't it manifest itself on the court if fundamentals were stressed? There is no question we have made progress since the Grant era. In my opinion it just hasn't been enough and the SEC is going to be too tough going forward. I just do not believe our coach will be able to consistently compete in the SEC to the level I would like. I am not asking for a Final Four caliber program. I just want one that makes the NCAA tournament COMFORTABLY most years and plays on the second weekend of the tournament three or four times in a ten year span (basically similar to the Wimp Sanderson era). I do not think that is too much to ask and I also think it is asking too much of Avery Johnson.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just whose responsibility is it to hold the players accountable? The head coach, correct? What evidence do you have that Avery holds his players accountable for sloppy play, poor effort, lazy passes, poor fundamentals? I have yet to see it. Has he ever gotten in a players face during a game? Has he ever pulled a player for carelessness? You say you find it hard to believe he has not coached up our guys in fundamentals. Again, why do we rarely see it? Wouldn't it manifest itself on the court if fundamentals were stressed? There is no question we have made progress since the Grant era. In my opinion it just hasn't been enough and the SEC is going to be too tough going forward. I just do not believe our coach will be able to consistently compete in the SEC to the level I would like. I am not asking for a Final Four caliber program. I just want one that makes the NCAA tournament COMFORTABLY most years and plays on the second weekend of the tournament three or four times in a ten year span (basically similar to the Wimp Sanderson era). I do not think that is too much to ask and I also think it is asking too much of Avery Johnson.
I obviously know your position. Let's win tonight and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.