Why delay the inevitable?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Why delay the inevitable?

It is painfully obvious Avery Johnson is not the answer. He fails miserably doing things that are a must. A coach MUST hold his players accountable for effort and fundamentals. Too many times this year we have players that loaf around the court. Too many times players make lazy passes with no consequences at all. Too many times our players do not display the basic fundamentals of the game. This is a problem that has been ongoing for all four years now. I think Alabama basketball should be better than what we have seen the last two decades. The good news is, there are realistic options out there to go out and get a considerable upgrade in coaching. Here are a few names to consider: Eric Musselman, Steve Prohm, Fred Hoiberg, Chris Beard and Steve Wojo.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Re: Why delay the inevitable?

While I agree with you it's a bad look to fire someone mid season unless there's a scandal or just a complete implosion. I mean Vandy is winless in conference and they're not firing their coach mid season. If we continue on the path we're on now I fully support a full review of the program after the season which would probably culminate with a coaching change; depending on who the administration thinks they can realistically hire..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    While I agree with you it's a bad look to fire someone mid season unless there's a scandal or just a complete implosion. I mean Vandy is winless in conference and they're not firing their coach mid season. If we continue on the path we're on now I fully support a full review of the program after the season which would probably culminate with a coaching change; depending on who the administration thinks they can realistically hire..
    I don't think we should fire him now. But at the end of the season, he should be gone.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linniepatrick View Post
    I don't think we should fire him now. But at the end of the season, he should be gone.
    The title of your post is "why delay the inevitable" so what's the in reference to then? If you agree they should wait until the end of the season to assess the situation then what is being delayed?

BamaNation Second Team

The title of your post is "why delay the inevitable" so what's the in reference to then? If you agree they should wait until the end of the season to assess the situation then what is being delayed?
    Pretty sure he means don't delay beyond this season. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen and we may even see a contract extension. Don't think the admin really cares about basketball and it doesn't seem like CAJ really cares about this job.

I meant don't give him another season. In most situations, you do not want to fire a coach mid-season. But, I think it is painfully obvious he is not going to get the job done and I do not want us to make the same mistake we have made with Gottfried and Grant. We allowed them to hang on for two to three seasons too long. That is what I meant.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama9001 View Post
    Pretty sure he means don't delay beyond this season. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen and we may even see a contract extension. Don't think the admin really cares about basketball and it doesn't seem like CAJ really cares about this job.
    He cares about the job. I think the issue is his styles don't translate well to the college game.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    He cares about the job. I think the issue is his styles don't translate well to the college game.
    We all noticed this in his first season and assumed he would adjust. He still might, but it might take some serious pressure from your AD.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

I honestly donít know what people were really expecting by hiring AJ. I said it back when the hiring happened that he would be a more energetic version of Anthony Grant, but the funny thing is AG owned Auburn and Pearl but AJ has a hard time beating them. But then again AJ a few months ago was the 2nd most popular person in Tuscaloosa when he won a tournament game. So really we are choosing beating Auburn or being a bubble team.

Unless Alabama is capable of pulling off the great Billy Donovan caper then coaches like AG and AJ are the ones that we are going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama9001 View Post
    If you look at the history of the AD, you'll see that he cares about basketball. Also, just because someone appears to be ill suited to college coaching doesn't mean that they don't care about their job.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Again....why not just use the post-game thread......why a new thread?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-SEC

There are more issues at hand than the coaching. He has his part to play of course but it isn't all on him. I wouldn't pull the trigger on the lets fire coach talk just yet. Let the rest of the season play out ... to much basketball still left to play to just throw away the season. JMO

Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Again....why not just use the post-game thread......why a new thread?