Why delay the inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
It is painfully obvious Avery Johnson is not the answer. He fails miserably doing things that are a must. A coach MUST hold his players accountable for effort and fundamentals. Too many times this year we have players that loaf around the court. Too many times players make lazy passes with no consequences at all. Too many times our players do not display the basic fundamentals of the game. This is a problem that has been ongoing for all four years now. I think Alabama basketball should be better than what we have seen the last two decades. The good news is, there are realistic options out there to go out and get a considerable upgrade in coaching. Here are a few names to consider: Eric Musselman, Steve Prohm, Fred Hoiberg, Chris Beard and Steve Wojo.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
While I agree with you it's a bad look to fire someone mid season unless there's a scandal or just a complete implosion. I mean Vandy is winless in conference and they're not firing their coach mid season. If we continue on the path we're on now I fully support a full review of the program after the season which would probably culminate with a coaching change; depending on who the administration thinks they can realistically hire..

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
While I agree with you it's a bad look to fire someone mid season unless there's a scandal or just a complete implosion. I mean Vandy is winless in conference and they're not firing their coach mid season. If we continue on the path we're on now I fully support a full review of the program after the season which would probably culminate with a coaching change; depending on who the administration thinks they can realistically hire..
I don't think we should fire him now. But at the end of the season, he should be gone.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think we should fire him now. But at the end of the season, he should be gone.
The title of your post is "why delay the inevitable" so what's the in reference to then? If you agree they should wait until the end of the season to assess the situation then what is being delayed?

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
The title of your post is "why delay the inevitable" so what's the in reference to then? If you agree they should wait until the end of the season to assess the situation then what is being delayed?
Pretty sure he means don't delay beyond this season. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen and we may even see a contract extension. Don't think the admin really cares about basketball and it doesn't seem like CAJ really cares about this job.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
I meant don't give him another season. In most situations, you do not want to fire a coach mid-season. But, I think it is painfully obvious he is not going to get the job done and I do not want us to make the same mistake we have made with Gottfried and Grant. We allowed them to hang on for two to three seasons too long. That is what I meant.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Pretty sure he means don't delay beyond this season. Unfortunately, that's probably what will happen and we may even see a contract extension. Don't think the admin really cares about basketball and it doesn't seem like CAJ really cares about this job.
He cares about the job. I think the issue is his styles don't translate well to the college game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He cares about the job. I think the issue is his styles don't translate well to the college game.
We all noticed this in his first season and assumed he would adjust. He still might, but it might take some serious pressure from your AD.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I honestly don’t know what people were really expecting by hiring AJ. I said it back when the hiring happened that he would be a more energetic version of Anthony Grant, but the funny thing is AG owned Auburn and Pearl but AJ has a hard time beating them. But then again AJ a few months ago was the 2nd most popular person in Tuscaloosa when he won a tournament game. So really we are choosing beating Auburn or being a bubble team.

Unless Alabama is capable of pulling off the great Billy Donovan caper then coaches like AG and AJ are the ones that we are going to get.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
If you look at the history of the AD, you'll see that he cares about basketball. Also, just because someone appears to be ill suited to college coaching doesn't mean that they don't care about their job.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
There are more issues at hand than the coaching. He has his part to play of course but it isn't all on him. I wouldn't pull the trigger on the lets fire coach talk just yet. Let the rest of the season play out ... to much basketball still left to play to just throw away the season. JMO

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.

Again....why not just use the post-game thread......why a new thread?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

QUOTE=linniepatrick;3387129]Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.[/QUOTE]

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Still not on this train, but I realize I’m one of the few on the other train and i understand. I guarantee you it’s bugging him more than it is us and still hoping he’ll get it right. Some things aren’t his fault but adjusting to certain things he obviously needs to improve on

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Unless we can realistically get Billy Donovan or someone of his caliber I think firing Avery is not in our best interest because we would just be doing the same thing over again expecting a different result, and we all know what that is.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I think AJ will be around a couple more years at least. Unless he wants back in the NBA game.

Two shows on JOX today reported that AJ’s people contacted the NO Pelicans about their GM job. Said it was the scuttbutt at All Star weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.
Lol. You just don’t get it. On the football board you already would have been banned.

Participate in the conversation. Don’t try to constantly start a new thread just to re-spew the same venom over and over. Join the community. Don’t try to be the Mayor of Hate Town.

Some people want to be a part of this great family. Some want to be shown the door.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think AJ will be around a couple more years at least. Unless he wants back in the NBA game.

Two shows on JOX today reported that AJ’s people contacted the NO Pelicans about their GM job. Said it was the scuttbutt at All Star weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If true then “bye”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.