Why delay the inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I think AJ will be around a couple more years at least. Unless he wants back in the NBA game.

Two shows on JOX today reported that AJ’s people contacted the NO Pelicans about their GM job. Said it was the scuttbutt at All Star weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he's in fact putting out feelers he's either checked out and/or knows he can't adapt to the college game as hoped.

Having said that and me not being a big B-Ball guy I have to ask. Where is Pelphrey in all this? Is he a viable option or will he be named interim if a change is made?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Unless we can realistically get Billy Donovan or someone of his caliber I think firing Avery is not in our best interest because we would just be doing the same thing over again expecting a different result, and we all know what that is.
We'll never have a good shot at a pull like that. So, Avery forever in your view?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think AJ will be around a couple more years at least. Unless he wants back in the NBA game.

Two shows on JOX today reported that AJ’s people contacted the NO Pelicans about their GM job. Said it was the scuttbutt at All Star weekend.

Maybe we should register for the Pelicans message board and start lobbying for the hire.

That would be great if it happened. It would get rid of him while avoiding the nasty business of firing him and they pay us the buyout.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Having said that and me not being a big B-Ball guy I have to ask. Where is Pelphrey in all this? Is he a viable option or will he be named interim if a change is made?
I too wonder if Pelphrey might be given a shot. Probably the only way I see that is if Avery walked away or was fired before the season ended. If suddenly we looked like we had a pulse with Pelphrey at the helm, I could see him getting a chance for at least a year to see what would happen.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Maybe we should register for the Pelicans message board and start lobbying for the hire.

That would be great if it happened. It would get rid of him while avoiding the nasty business of firing him and they pay us the buyout.

Coach Saban is really good at finding coaches other jobs rather than firing them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just Sayin’ (blue font)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Coach Saban is really good at finding coaches other jobs rather than firing them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just Sayin’ (blue font)

He still has friends in Louisiana. Have him make some calls.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Hold on - are you throwing "eyeshade" on Butch Patrick (a/k/a Eddie Munster, also known as Billy Donovan) for being Tidefans firestarter "linniepatrick?" That would conjure up a conspiracy theory all its own regarding recent 'Bama basketball coaching...

Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We'll never have a good shot at a pull like that. So, Avery forever in your view?
I think the fact we got Avery shows you the Athletic Department doesn’t care about an elite basketball team. So we can do a lot worse. Unless we are willing to bring a forklift worth of cash to someone in the upper echelon of coaching what does it matter?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Donovan would not come for all the tea in China. We fired one of his best friends(Grant). If we do make or move or end up being in the market for a new coach, there are options out there. We need a splashy hire IMHO or we are just doing the "wash, rinse, repeat" cycle. If you aren't playing for championships, what is the point? We haven't sniffed a championship of any kind since Wimp was here.

We are paying one of the highest salaries in the country. I think we are in the top 20.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Donovan would not come for all the tea in China. We fired one of his best friends(Grant). If we do make or move or end up being in the market for a new coach, there are options out there. We need a splashy hire IMHO or we are just doing the "wash, rinse, repeat" cycle. If you aren't playing for championships, what is the point? We haven't sniffed a championship of any kind since Wimp was here.

We are paying one of the highest salaries in the country. I think we are in the top 20.
Gottfried 2004

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Because it wasnt about just that game. Why does it matter to you? I will post where and how I like. If you dont like it, you can ignore it. Either way, I dont give a damn what you think about how and where I post. Good grief. Get a life.
Quit being combative to everyone.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How about someone like Roy Rogers? He's as Assistant with the Rockets now I think. He's 45 (so he's not too young, but also not too old), and he might actually love being here. I just think we need to quit believing we will get an elite coach to move here -- or some young buck that will love it here and that won't use us as a stepping stone. We need to find someone that wants to be in T-Town -- and can make it happen.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
How about someone like Roy Rogers? He's as Assistant with the Rockets now I think. He's 45 (so he's not too young, but also not too old), and he might actually love being here. I just think we need to quit believing we will get an elite coach to move here -- or some young buck that will love it here and that won't use us as a stepping stone. We need to find someone that wants to be in T-Town -- and can make it happen.
Interesting choice. I personally think we need someone with college head coaching experience. The names I listed are all realistic. I also think we should not concern ourselves with trying to find someone that will be here for the next 20 years. If a coach comes in and takes us to that next level, then leaves for one of the "blue bloods" of the sport, I am fine with that. If we show a true commitment to the sport, then it will become harder and harder for a successful coach to leave. Prohm is also an alumnus, correct? I think our AD should try to get the best possible coach we can. Is that an elite coach? Probably not, at least not today. But, it can be a very successful coach with a proven track record.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Maybe just hire Norman Dale to help CAJ with fundamentals???
He gone. But, I bet Jimmy Chitwood would be available. I bet we would be much improved from the free throw line and would use the backboard. Not sure the picket fence play would work today.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
There are more issues at hand than the coaching. He has his part to play of course but it isn't all on him. I wouldn't pull the trigger on the lets fire coach talk just yet. Let the rest of the season play out ... to much basketball still left to play to just throw away the season. JMO
Could you elaborate on other issues?

I like CAJ and was hoping he would be successful (living in SA gave me a connection to him).

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I can tell you unless he leaves on his own this year, there will be no changes. You guys can put that out of your head. Debating coaching candidates serves no meaningful purpose at this point. We still have a team playing and that should be the focus. We are at least a year away from any potential changes being made at head coach. Our AD believes in stability. Remember recruits are watching.

Edit: I'll qualify my statement. Unless there are other issues we are unaware of at this point.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I can tell you unless he leaves on his own this year, there will be no changes. You guys can put that out of your head. Debating coaching candidates serves no meaningful purpose at this point. We still have a team playing and that should be the focus. We are at least a year away from any potential changes being made at head coach. Our AD believes in stability. Remember recruits are watching.
Well, it is what it is. This is a discussion board, and discuss we will.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well, it is what it is. This is a discussion board, and discuss we will.
It is a free country and you guys can discuss whatever you want. I am just saying that threads on coaching changes are or can be detrimental to recruiting. I want the program to succeed as much or more than probably almost any here. I've been to literally hundreds of games so I am invested in the program. I just want us to compete at the highest possible level and click bait on changing coaches doesn't help us in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.