North Carolina Election Board Finds Evidence Of Significant GOP Election Fraud

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I didn't want this to get buried in one of the existing threads. This story is crazy, and it's apparently been happening for years.

North Carolina Election Board Finds Evidence Of Significant Fraud To Help GOP Candidate

The executive director of the North Carolina State Board of Elections revealed Monday that state officials had uncovered a “coordinated” and “unlawful” effort to collect absentee ballots on behalf of a Republican congressional candidate in the November election.

Kim Strach, the board’s executive director, made the comments at a closely watched public evidentiary hearing on Monday following a monthslong investigation into election irregularities in the state’s 9th Congressional District. The state board declined to certify the race last November and could order a new election after the hearing. Republican Mark Harris currently leads Democrat Dan McCready by 905 votes in the race.

In the first public comments outlining the results of the state’s probe, Strach said investigators had evidence that McCrae Dowless, a political operative working on behalf of the Harris campaign, filled out and mailed in incomplete or blank ballots from both his office and home. She said Dowless paid people in cash to collect requests for absentee ballots and the ballots themselves. The state board also has evidence, she said, that Dowless paid people to falsify signatures on absentee ballots indicating that they had witnessed those ballots being filled out.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Prosecute the guilty to the fullest extent of the law. Period.

I will say, however, that our craze to get every single semi-sentient being to vote has opened some loopholes for fraud to take place. The system seems to err on the side of getting every ballot counted, even if suspect, and that bureaucratic urge creates daylight for fraud.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It happens more than people realize. On both sides.
https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud
You do see periodic stories about an individual voting when ineligible, someone trying to vote twice, etc. Vote selling and harvesting has apparently occurred on small scales before (LINK), and I can imagine it would be far more effective in local races than any statewide or federal race, which is maybe why it doesn't get a ton of press.

But I've never heard a campaign hiring someone who then committed this kind of widespread election fraud on their behalf. Turns out this guy has made a business out of defrauding our absentee ballot system and offering his services to small Republican campaigns over the years. This isn't even the first time he's been caught.

I think it's important that we don't try to normalize or lump this into something more trivial. Some states only offer voting by mail now, so if that process is ripe for abuse, maybe the Pacific Northwest needs to think about how to secure it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Prosecute the guilty to the fullest extent of the law. Period.

I will say, however, that our craze to get every single semi-sentient being to vote has opened some loopholes for fraud to take place. The system seems to err on the side of getting every ballot counted, even if suspect, and that bureaucratic urge creates daylight for fraud.
too bad they didn't mention sentience in the 15th, 19th, or 26th amendments.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You do see periodic stories about an individual voting when ineligible, someone trying to vote twice, etc. Vote selling and harvesting has apparently occurred on small scales before (LINK), and I can imagine it would be far more effective in local races than any statewide or federal race, which is maybe why it doesn't get a ton of press.

But I've never heard a campaign hiring someone who then committed this kind of widespread election fraud on their behalf. Turns out this guy has made a business out of defrauding our absentee ballot system and offering his services to small Republican campaigns over the years. This isn't even the first time he's been caught.

I think it's important that we don't try to normalize or lump this into something more trivial. Some states only offer voting by mail now, so if that process is ripe for abuse, maybe the Pacific Northwest needs to think about how to secure it.
surprised they didn't catch this fraud during alberto gonzales' tenure

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
too bad they didn't mention sentience in the 15th, 19th, or 26th amendments.
There is no state in this Union that prohibits voting on the basis of race, sex, or age.

Here in Virginia, the party that is dedicated to voter fraud is the Democratic party. The Democratic Governor ordered (in direct violation of federal law) that county registrars not to not disclose voter lists as directed by the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA).
Title 52 Voting and Elections said:
(i) Public disclosure of voter registration activities
(1) Each State shall maintain for at least 2 years and shall make available for public inspection and, where available, photocopying at a reasonable cost, all records concerning the implementation of programs and activities conducted for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy and currency of official lists of eligible voters

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

The stunning part was Dowless handing people sheets of paper with direction on how to take the 5th. So now we're looking at what: voter fraud, conspiracy to defraud, obstruction of justice and/or witness tampering...(did I miss anything)?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
There is no state in this Union that prohibits voting on the basis of race, sex, or age.

Here in Virginia, the party that is dedicated to voter fraud is the Democratic party. The Democratic Governor ordered (in direct violation of federal law) that county registrars not to not disclose voter lists as directed by the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA).
Originally Posted by Title 52 Voting and Elections, USC, CHAPTER 205-NATIONAL VOTER REGISTRATION, §20507. Requirements with respect to administration of voter registration
(i) Public disclosure of voter registration activities
(1) Each State shall maintain for at least 2 years and shall make available for public inspection and, where available, photocopying at a reasonable cost, all records concerning the implementation of programs and activities conducted for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy and currency of official lists of eligible voters
Where does it say disclose voter lists in any of the above?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

georgia, north carolina and several others are trying their damndest to make sure folks of color vote in lower numbers. and they spend a lot of time and effort blaming those same folks for "voter fraud"

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Lock Dowless up and throw away the key......
Harris too, he knew exactly what he was doing

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-d...a-dramatic-turn-against-republican-candidate/

John Harris, the son and an assistant US attorney in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
“I love my dad and I love my mom,” John Harris said as his father cried. “I certainly have no vendetta against them, no family scores to settle, OK? I think they made mistakes in this process, and they certainly did things differently than I would have done them.”
….First in a phone call and then in subsequent emails, the younger Harris warned his father of both political and legal ramifications of hiring Dowless….He spoke to his parents on April 7, 2017, a day after the candidate met with Dowless. “I told him that collecting absentee ballots was a felony,” John Harris said, “and I would send him the statute that collecting ballots was a felony.” Later that morning, he emailed his father the statute that makes such actions a felony in North Carolina. He also emailed his fears abut Dowless, saying he believed the Bladen County operation was on “thin ice.”

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It's not a good look when your U.S. Attorney son tells you what you're about to do is illegal in multiple communications, cites the actual statute that you would be breaking, and then you do it anyway.

Harris is done.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's not a good look when your U.S. Attorney son tells you what you're about to do is illegal in multiple communications, cites the actual statute that you would be breaking, and then you do it anyway.

Harris is done.
maybe, but this type of stuff does play well with the base.

non-irregardless, we know who the real vote fraudsters are.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Harris is done.
I still wouldn't be shocked if the NC GOP still voted this week to seat him in Congress.

This party is essentially run by Mark Meadows after all and he's been completely fine with Trump's illegal win, why should this be different?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I still wouldn't be shocked if the NC GOP still voted this week to seat him in Congress.

This party is essentially run by Mark Meadows after all and he's been completely fine with Trump's illegal win, why should this be different?
Wasn't a green card holder and single mother of 4 recently sentenced to 8 years in prison for voting, supposedly without realizing it was illegal? And didn't the GOP cheer loudly when such flagrant voter fraud was punished? I'm sure they'll demand equal jail time for Harris given his (allegedly) far more egregious offense.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.