News Article: ESPN: Alabama spring football preview: Tide look to regroup off title loss

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Same ole jibber jabber.

The defense was disappointing , and now it will be replaced. That’s supposed to be bad?

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Alabama spring football preview: Tide look to regroup off title loss https://es.pn/2X7LtFf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I look at it a little different than the article.
We had a defense that was not aggressive at the end of last year.
We had coaches who were not in it to win it. Part of these guys
knew they were on their way out, and some saw a chance to go elsewhere.
I think we had a larger turnover than we expected.
Coach Saban hired a group of coaches with lots of experience. (Some good, some bad)
The coaches we hired are all technicians and teachers as well as good recruiters.
I think these coaches will work hard for Coach Saban... some of last years coaches were only here as a stop over, looking to move up.
I see this group of coaches as guys who want to show they've got what it takes to win a championship. Hope I'm right.
Toward the end of last season, I saw some bad coaching, bad play calling, and bad Defensive alignments. Our Defense was slow to adjust.
I saw games where we could have run at will, but we changed to a pass happy Offense that didn't get the job done. In my opinion we would have made a few more 3rd downs if we had thrown a few short passes, and if we ran over the guys with our runs.
Jacobs was a Bear and we didn't use him when we should have. We tried to get cute, and we got out coached.
IT HURT.
NOW...
A new group of coaches have an opportunity to right a wrong. I think some of the new guys will be strong hires.
AGAIN... I hope I'm right.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The only glaring thing that stood out to me last season was the times we shoulda/coulda called a short pass for first down but instead tried some trickery or went long. I hope that at least changes. Other than that I see us back in the CG again. Roll Tide.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know the only constant that has ever really mattered in the last decade is CNS, but this new staff doesn't scream "elite." The only confidence I have is that CNS chose them and he is elite in the most literal sense.

With the talent we have, I think we could comprise a staff from Tidefans.com and probably coach this team to 10 wins, so I guess we'll be OK with CNS at the wheel.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I know the only constant that has ever really mattered in the last decade is CNS, but this new staff doesn't scream "elite." The only confidence I have is that CNS chose them and he is elite in the most literal sense.

With the talent we have, I think we could comprise a staff from Tidefans.com and probably coach this team to 10 wins, so I guess we'll be OK with CNS at the wheel.
We have a top flight RB and OL coach now. Sark is a better OC than Locksley. WR coach is probably a wash. We've got two guys who have been DCs before under CNS on defense plus I think Sal + Baker is an upgrade up front too. Coach Kool just didn't really get the most out of anyone other than Q who may have just been ready to do that all along once Jon Allen and Daron Payne got out of the way.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Looking back on his hires in the last 7 or 8 years, Lot of his hires weren't "elite."

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Can I have the WR group? They'd make me look good...:pDT_popc:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There is a "The Athletic" article on Golding right now that is worth reading if you have a subscription. It honestly made me feel a good bit better about him as our full time DC this year.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If you go back and look at the second half of the Orange Bowl against Oklahoma and the national title game against Clemson, you have to wonder what happened to the defense. Too often it was out of position or flat-out lost.

The good news is that new defensive coordinator Pete Golding will provide continuity in terms of playcalling, and there are some nice pieces already in place...

Well is it good or bad news??? Got to make up your mind Alex. Do we really want the same playcaller if the players were out of position or flat-out lost? Cause Tosh wasn't calling the plays.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Can you share what was said that made you feel this way?
It mostly discusses how he has blown people away over and over again with both his football smarts and ability to connect with players. Nothing groundbreaking but more detail on his story and how exactly he got to where he is.

This stood out to me...(assuming its true)

At one point during the afternoon, Saban ducked out of the room and told a senior staffer that it was as impressive as any coaching interview he’d ever had in Tuscaloosa. He had Golding on the board for five hours. Golding never did make it back to UTSA campus.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It mostly discusses how he has blown people away over and over again with both his football smarts and ability to connect with players. Nothing groundbreaking but more detail on his story and how exactly he got to where he is.

This stood out to me...(assuming its true)
Wow! As many people as CNS has interviewed, that's eye-popping! Hopefully Golden is a supernova and will make a name for himself in the next few years at Bama under CNS!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Wow! As many people as CNS has interviewed, that's eye-popping! Hopefully Golden is a supernova and will make a name for himself in the next few years at Bama under CNS!
Somebody posted it in one of these threads. I think maybe under Jess' thread about the coaches.

CrimsonForce posted some of the article on the "Coaching Carousel" thread.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.