News Article: Freddie Kitchens: Built in 'Bama

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A series of articles on Freddie Kitchens.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/spor...g-respect-the-kitchens-way-built-in-bama.html

[FONT=&quot]They came for Big Freddie’s son.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Traipsing down rock steps into Jim Glover Stadium on another Alabama Friday night, they carried brown paper bags taped to sticks, “Sack Kitchens” written on them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The bus of visiting students had arrived early, because on the right night in the ‘90s, when the Etowah High School Blue Devils were beating almost all comers, thousands of seats were gone a half-hour before kickoff.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Big Freddie’s son warmed up with the biggest arm anyone in Etowah County had ever seen. At 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, the boy had maybe 6 inches and 60 pounds on his father, but every word of Big Freddie lived inside his namesake. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seated on a rock wall just over a waist-high chain-link fence from the field, the visiting students then, like Browns fans now, got a look at Kitchens and formed an impression, but they didn’t know what they were seeing.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]As the students whooped and hollered during warmups, Kitchens’ receiver turned to finish his sideline route and saw the football, plausibly wild but slick with intent, sailing over his head, right at the sack holders. It caught one of them straight in the chest, and the students scattered like a covey of quail. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That story, in various iterations, winds through Etowah County like a country shortcut. Everyone knows it, and it gets you there quick.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Because that throw -- that’s Freddie.[/FONT]

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Freddie was the toughest QB Bama ever had. I am glad he overcame everything to get where he is now. I'm just sorry his break had to come with the Browns, a very dysfunctional organization.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Many times I cussed him in a game, when he'd almost knock a receiver down over the middle, but, in the end, you had to love 'em. Nice to discover the cloth he was cut from...

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I went to UA during the Kitchens' years, and a father of a friend was a HUGE Freddie fan. I can't remember who we were playing, but it was at Bryant-Denny and it was cold. He was a faculty member and got us all seats together. All we heard for the first half was "I hope Freddie gets in the game . . . You think Freddie will get in?" Fast forward to the fourth quarter, Bama up big . . . Freddie Kitchens enters the game.

Seemed like the first play of his first drive, but it may not have been. Freddie hits a WR for something like a 50 yeard TD. The Prof goes wild! "Way to go, Freddie! Roll Tide!" He high fives my friend, then me. I turn to high five someone else, and turn back to get another high five from Prof . . but he's gone. I look and seeing him heading down the stairs! He got what he wanted, and was headed home.

One of the funniest things I can remember from attending a game. And, I'll add that I don't believe the Prof in question is Crimson Prof that's a member here.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I grew up in the house behind the original East Gadsden sporting goods store which was in the same building as the Medders’ grocery store. They extended credit to my family as well. The patriarch, Nelson Medders, was my youth league football coach. Smartest football man I ever met.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
I went to UA during the Kitchens' years, and a father of a friend was a HUGE Freddie fan. I can't remember who we were playing, but it was at Bryant-Denny and it was cold. He was a faculty member and got us all seats together. All we heard for the first half was "I hope Freddie gets in the game . . . You think Freddie will get in?" Fast forward to the fourth quarter, Bama up big . . . Freddie Kitchens enters the game.

Seemed like the first play of his first drive, but it may not have been. Freddie hits a WR for something like a 50 yeard TD. The Prof goes wild! "Way to go, Freddie! Roll Tide!" He high fives my friend, then me. I turn to high five someone else, and turn back to get another high five from Prof . . but he's gone. I look and seeing him heading down the stairs! He got what he wanted, and was headed home.

One of the funniest things I can remember from attending a game. And, I'll add that I don't believe the Prof in question is Crimson Prof that's a member here.
I am pretty sure that was the '95 Mississippi State game. It was bone chilling cold and I dont think we had the east side upper deck built to knock that wind down. That was the coldest game I have ever attended at Bryant Denny. And that 1st snap touchdown was the best part of the ballgame outside of getting back in the car and thawing out for the next 3 hours driving home. :D

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Would be interesting to see how interested everyone would be in Kitchens returning to the Capstone after Saban, IF he could get and keep the Browns in the playoffs, and win a playoff game or two.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would be interesting to see how interested everyone would be in Kitchens returning to the Capstone after Saban, IF he could get and keep the Browns in the playoffs, and win a playoff game or two.
Honestly, it is too early to tell. We have to see a lot more, not just in terms of wins and losses, but in terms of how he manages his team. Being the head coach at a school like Alabama is a lot tougher than being a head coach in the NFL, IMO.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, it is too early to tell. We have to see a lot more, not just in terms of wins and losses, but in terms of how he manages his team. Being the head coach at a school like Alabama is a lot tougher than being a head coach in the NFL, IMO.
No argument here. I'm a Kitchens fan, so I'd love to see him come back IF he can prove he can run a winning program. I'm not as high on Dabo as I once was, so . . .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.