Link: Auburn, UGA, and SEC in Talks to Move AU/UGA Game on Schedule

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So damned haughty it's laughable. Not all about you, buttercup.
I'm going to first say that the SEC would get a whole lot of hell if it lets it happen because I guarantee you Alabama and LSU would raise hell over it, but lets be real this is a move that has more to deal with Auburn not wanting to play two top 5 teams in 3 weeks. The easy fix would be for Alabama to switch the Tennessee/ Auburn dates and Auburn to move UGA to the last game and Alabama to the 3rd weekend of October. But it would never happen because of the SEC.

FWIW I thought Auburn's suggestion of splitting the 2 games instead of playing both at Home/Away in the same year was a better idea, but moving the game just kinda makes the obvious the more obvious in that they don't like potentially playing two top 10 teams on the road in a three week span

The more curious thing is why UGA would want to move that game closer to either their other SECW opponent date, or the Florida game....

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm going to first say that the SEC would get a whole lot of hell if it lets it happen because I guarantee you Alabama and LSU would raise hell over it, but lets be real this is a move that has more to deal with Auburn not wanting to play two top 5 teams in 3 weeks. The easy fix would be for Alabama to switch the Tennessee/ Auburn dates and Auburn to move UGA to the last game and Alabama to the 3rd weekend of October. But it would never happen because of the SEC.

FWIW I thought Auburn's suggestion of splitting the 2 games instead of playing both at Home/Away in the same year was a better idea, but moving the game just kinda makes the obvious the more obvious in that they don't like potentially playing two top 10 teams on the road in a three week span

The more curious thing is why UGA would want to move that game closer to either their other SECW opponent date, or the Florida game....
It’s in our best interest because, as it stands, the value of a season ticket tanks on the back end in even numbered years. It’s in the SEC’s best interest because it avoids the 2016 scenario, where an East and West champion play each other twice in three weeks. As much as people like Krayz3 want to make this about Bama, you’re on the periphery here.

It’s not all about “Auburn wanting to keep the opportunity to ruin Bama’s season”, period. Guess that galls some posters here.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It’s in our best interest because, as it stands, the value of a season ticket tanks on the back end in even numbered years..
Oh I get it, and I think its a legit argument for Auburn fans but I don't get it from a UGA perspective because they are going to make a very difficult October or September for themselves. But at the same time I don't get why Auburn fans are so opposed to moving the Iron Bowl to mid October, and both Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-UGA games are played on the final weekend. FWIW I'm a TSIO> Iron Bowl Bama fan so I don't look at the Iron Bowl like the majority of Alabama fans in terms of importance, and look at is a "a game that we must win to avoid embarrassment".

As much as people like Krayz3 want to make this about Bama, you’re on the periphery here.

It’s not all about “Auburn wanting to keep the opportunity to ruin Bama’s season”, period. Guess that galls some posters here.
I hate the documentary Roll Tide/ War Eagle because it quickly turned from an educational program for those outside the state to a documentary that basically said all Alabama fans are seconds away to being Harvey Updyke. But two things it got right are 1) there is a lot of back stabbing and gamesmanship maneuvers from those outside football do and 2) Many Auburn fans would prefer beating Alabama over winning a National Championship. I remember being on FB before, during, and after the Auburn-FSU game. The whole game it was "We are a national power. We are a dynasty in the making, and We are going to be on a great run with Gus" but literally a minute after the game it was a collective "Who cares about this game we beat Bama" It is that type of outlook that lead many Alabama fans to believe Auburn only exists to try to spoil Bama's season and would take a 1-11 year as long as that 1 is Alabama.

FWIW I do think Auburn is acting logically here, but it comes after their last two wins so happen to be after beating 11-0 Alabama teams, and failing to win the NCG but yet plaster Alabama fans with reminders of those games constantly.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
So now it's about protecting the value of AU season tickets, well by all means let's do something... :rolleyes:. Brother, I've got a stack of tickets I couldn't give away through the years - especially over the last 10-15, as I'm sure season ticket holders of other SEC schools do as well. I have no sympathy for, nor inclination to, help your ticket problems.

The chances of a rematch have been there since 1992, seems a bit disingenuous to claim we need a change because both UGA/AU reached the SECCG together exactly once.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I would think that this would ruin the holiday for split families.
That and other reasons. I’ll never understand for the life of me why any true Bama fan, knowing our history, would want to keep our schedule so heavily back-loaded other than for petty reasons like this. Why give Auburn a platform to potentially ruin our season every Thanksgiving weekend? After 2013 and 2017, I’m convinced it would be in our favor to move the game to Oct. If they don’t agree to do it, then we use our influence to move Auburn to the East and end the annual series. They benefit much more from our game than we do.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since when? In 2011, Alabama hosted UT while Auburn traveled to UGA. In 2012, Alabama traveled to Knoxville while Auburn hosted UGA. Because UGA played at Auburn in 2012 and 2013, Alabama and Auburn each host in odd years and travel in even years.

Why would the SEC all of a sudden want that? They didn't seem to care until 2012 when Mizzou and A&M joined.
They changed it a few years ago, not sure why they wanted it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They changed it a few years ago, not sure why they wanted it that way.

I’ll need to try to research that tomorrow. Unless they did it to make it easier to schedule the second cross-divisional game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since when? In 2011, Alabama hosted UT while Auburn traveled to UGA. In 2012, Alabama traveled to Knoxville while Auburn hosted UGA. Because UGA played at Auburn in 2012 and 2013, Alabama and Auburn each host in odd years and travel in even years.

Why would the SEC all of a sudden want that? They didn't seem to care until 2012 when Mizzou and A&M joined.
2012 Auburn hosted UGA

Bama hosted UT
Auburn hosted UGA
LSU hosted UF
MSU hosted Kentucky
Arkansas hosted USCE (Mizzou and aTm would kill this rivalry the next year)

But... Vandy hosted Ole Miss and Mizzou hosted aTm

But the SEC fixed in 2014:

Vandy hosted Ole Miss, Mizzou hosted Arkansas, and USCe hosted aTm

So since 2014 the East-West Permanent crossover games have been one side of the conference always hosts with the exception of the LSU-UF hurricane fiasco.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So since 2014 the East-West Permanent crossover games have been one side of the conference always hosts with the exception of the LSU-UF hurricane fiasco.
Thanks - I did not realize that. Seems like it has to be to make scheduling easier.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2012 Auburn hosted UGA

Bama hosted UT
Auburn hosted UGA
LSU hosted UF
MSU hosted Kentucky
Arkansas hosted USCE (Mizzou and aTm would kill this rivalry the next year)

But... Vandy hosted Ole Miss and Mizzou hosted aTm

But the SEC fixed in 2014:

Vandy hosted Ole Miss, Mizzou hosted Arkansas, and USCe hosted aTm

Does anyone know why this is? I can't find a reasoning for it, just the 2014 the cross-divisional announcement.

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I have been saying this for years. However, I’m convinced that the wealthy boosters would never let it happen. For them having the iron bowl on thanksgiving weekend is sacrosanct—probably for a variety of reasons.
I know I'm in a distinct minority, but I wish they would just move AU to the East, justified by geographical location. It's not fear; I'm sick of worrying with each play which player AU will take out with their chop and cut blocks. Regardless of the coaching regime in place, AU plays dirty. I would prefer to avoid these dirty teams. Along that vein, I hope Bama never plays Western KY again.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This has nothing to do with the back half of Auburn’s schedule in even numbered years for season ticket holders. Just like Coach Saban’s disdain for the HUNH offense has nothing to do with player safety. The bottom line is Auburn doesn’t want to play UGA and Bama on the road in the same year within 3 weeks.

2ndand26

Oct 4, 2018
Huntsville, AL
So damned haughty it's laughable. Not all about you, buttercup.
I fail to see the haughtiness. Rather, the analysis follows the principle of simplicity - a nice demonstration of Occam's Razor - without getting cut.

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." - Sir Issac Newton.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
That would screw up the Egg Bowl.

Swapping home and away won’t work because the SEC wants all the “rivalry” crossovers hosted by one division and the rotating games by the other. So when we host UT, the barn hosts UGA.

\

Swapping home and home wont work because that would be reversing what they did in 2012 and 2013 with UGA and Auburn. If they did that, then every time Bama and UGA played the home team would have 5 SEC home games and 3 SEC away games . And the visitor would have 3 SEC Home games and 5 SEC away games. EVERY time!

Which is WHY they did what they did in the first place in 2012 and 2013. Had NOTHING to do with your reasoning. But has EVERYTHING to do with your last statement. Because when Bama hosts ut and the barn hosts UGA , then when the SEC schedules UGA-Bama, both UGA and Bama will have 4 SEC home games and 4 SEC away games. Because in that case they would schedule Bama at UGA.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
\

Swapping home and home wont work because that would be reversing what they did in 2012 and 2013 with UGA and Auburn. If they did that, then every time Bama and UGA played the home team would have 5 SEC home games and 3 SEC away games . And the visitor would have 3 SEC Home games and 5 SEC away games. EVERY time!

Which is WHY they did what they did in the first place in 2012 and 2013.

A nine game schedule would probably be the best and most realistic solution to the whole problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A nine game schedule would probably be the best and most realistic solution to the whole problem.
It is also the easiest way to ensure that fewer SEC teams make it to the CFP, so scratch "best" from that description.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It is also the easiest way to ensure that fewer SEC teams make it to the CFP, so scratch "best" from that description.
It depends on “which” year we are talking about. The SEC is like a lot of conferences in that it comes down to 1 or 2 teams anyways. So I don’t see it as an issue unless it’s like 2010 in which everyone schedules a bye before a certain team.

Outside that I don’t see anything short of a 4 team swap between divisions making anyone happy about permanent rivals and home/away in conference games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.