Link: Auburn, UGA, and SEC in Talks to Move AU/UGA Game on Schedule

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I'm a little bent after reading the AJC article on this.IMO it's two schools working together to make their road easier, and ours tougher. UGA's ONLY reason to change this game is to have a healthier Auburn playing Alabama at the end of the year. They're going to flip the Aub and UT games in their schedule.

Boy this is tough to type...I HOPE that UT makes Aub pay for this childish move and OWNS them for a decade or more!!!

I do however enjoy the "rent-free"space that we have occupied in the minds of all other SEC coaches!!! RTR!!!
I cannot wait to see what team gets screwed over by this change. I guess as long as auburn and uga are happy, who cares?

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The funny part of this is that the barn says it wants this change to help their schedule become less difficult and somehow that balances the field with others. Then, they claim it has nothing to do with making things easier on them, and suggestions to the contrary are conspiratorial. Maybe they could just trade schedules with UCF and make them both happy, for a minute anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It depends on “which” year we are talking about. The SEC is like a lot of conferences in that it comes down to 1 or 2 teams anyways. So I don’t see it as an issue unless it’s like 2010 in which everyone schedules a bye before a certain team.

Outside that I don’t see anything short of a 4 team swap between divisions making anyone happy about permanent rivals and home/away in conference games.
Sorry, but in no world is adding another SEC game each year a good thing for Alabama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If LSU wasn’t too caught up with conspiracy theories and Byrne was an AD that loved to deal with controversy I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a movement to get the LSU-UA game pushed to September and the LSU-Auburn game pushed to November.

I think having the UGA-Auburn game the first week of November makes the most sense in terms of moving it, but it’s going to be interesting to see if Stankey is just doing this for the benefit of Auburn and Georgia or if he is willing to keep it fair and let other big moves happen. But knowing Stankey he will take the Roger Goodell approach and say “anything that hurts the Patriots (Alabama) is allowed because we need more parity”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry, but in no world is adding another SEC game each year a good thing for Alabama.
Never said it was a good thing but it would be about the only fix in which they can shut all those “ get rid of the TSIO because it gives Bama a bye”, “Alabama gets it easier than everyone else”, and “ These guys are conspiring against Alabama” crowds up.

The problem is one side of the argument that believes that Alabama’s schedule is the easiest and the SEC allows them to keep their historic rivalry with Tennessee because they pay them off. Then you have Alabama fans that believe any rule or schedule change is in an effort to limit Alabama’s dominance. It doesn’t help that this new commissioner is totally incompetent.

So the only thing other than Bama and Auburn to the east and Vandy and Mizzou to the west that would solve it without much backlash is 9 game schedules like pretty much every other P5 conference. I don’t like it, but it would put an end to these scheduling conspiracy theories.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Then why is Alabama the only school voting for a nine game conference schedule? Saban is on record as in favor of a ten game schedule.

Coach Bryant attempted to schedule all of the other nine schools when the conference was just 10 teams and the minimum required by the SEC was six conference games. He never was able to accomplish that because very few of them were willing to schedule more than the six required, but he was able to schedule 8 of them in 1972 and 1973. And scheduled 7 almost every year until the SEC changed the six game minimum rule in 1980 to the six game minimum/maximum rule. In fact the Bama-Ole Miss games of 1980 and 1981 were already on the schedule as a 7th game for both and rather than drop them they were played as OOC games. Those are the only two games in SEC history played by conference opponents in the regular season that didn't count in the standings.

Alabama has always attempted, when allowed, to schedule as many conference opponents as possible. The 1958 schedule that Coach Bryant inherited had 8 conference games in a 10 game schedule.

I'll answer my own question from above. Alabama is always going to be at the top in any SEC World. Doesn't matter if it is a 6 game schedule or a 10 game schedule. if you think a nine game schedule will weaken Alabama then think what it will do to the other 13 teams.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Then why is Alabama the only school voting for a nine game conference schedule? Saban is on record as in favor of a ten game schedule.
Because Alabama knows their financial interests are already secured, and don't fear competition as long as CNS is here. Most fear the 4-5 5-4 H/A schedule flip flop.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Because Alabama knows their financial interests are already secured, and don't fear competition as long as CNS is here. Most fear the 4-5 5-4 H/A schedule flip flop.
Bama has never feared competition regardless of the coach. When only six conference games were required, they scheduled 7 in 1955 and 1956 and 8 in 1957 when Whitworth was the coach. In 10 game seasons. When they couldn't score, much less win. Shut out eleven times in those three years. How bad is that? Bama has been shut out only eleven more times in the SIXTY ONE seasons since then.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bama has never feared competition regardless of the coach. When only six conference games were required, they scheduled 7 in 1955 and 1956 and 8 in 1957 when Whitworth was the coach. In 10 game seasons.
Well Bama also does usually play one less Home game than every other SEC team. I think that is the bigger issue of why 9 is usually shot down by the others because teams like Florida, UGA, Kentucky, and South Carolina could get stuck with 6 home games and 6 roads games every other year. Bama doesn't feel the heat mostly because Auburn is a SEC school, and Alabama usually goes to a neutral site game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Well Bama also does usually play one less Home game than every other SEC team. I think that is the bigger issue of why 9 is usually shot down by the others because teams like Florida, UGA, Kentucky, and South Carolina could get stuck with 6 home games and 6 roads games every other year. Bama doesn't feel the heat mostly because Auburn is a SEC school, and Alabama usually goes to a neutral site game.
Although possible I believe that is unlikely because the SEC would attempt to schedule them so they could have 7 home games and 5 road games. Even if it occurred, it would also mean that they could have 8 home games and 4 road games every other year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll answer my own question from above. Alabama is always going to be at the top in any SEC World. Doesn't matter if it is a 6 game schedule or a 10 game schedule. if you think a nine game schedule will weaken Alabama then think what it will do to the other 13 teams.
Win the SEC with a second loss and you don't make the CFP - that is all that matters. I think that Alabama wins the CFP last year if your schedule was not so hard down the stretch.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'll definitely put myself in the minority and say that I'd rather see us play the Barn for the first game of the season, a la Colorado vs. Colorado State.
I know this may seem unorthodox, but we know that CNS always has Bama ready for the big marquee games to start the year, and (offseason injuries notwithstanding) you can guarantee that both teams will be as healthy - and thus "evenly" matched - as at any other point in the year. Therefore, the whining about injuries, lack of preparedness, scheduling unfairness, coming off bye weeks, etc. etc. are rendered moot. Plus, a loss by either team doesn't cripple your postseason chances as it very well can when it happens in late November.
Again, I know that this is out there, but it makes sense in my brain.
The barn would never agree to that. Stealing signals is extremely difficult for the first game...unless you don't change them from the previous season. :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The buttercups might object even more strenuously.

Still, the best solution is to either move the barn to the East or out of the SEC altogether.
I think you are on to something. If the goal wa:cool:s to clean up the SEC, I wonder why Slive didn't do that...?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Never said it was a good thing but it would be about the only fix in which they can shut all those “ get rid of the TSIO because it gives Bama a bye”, “Alabama gets it easier than everyone else”, and “ These guys are conspiring against Alabama” crowds up.
The problem is one side of the argument that believes that Alabama’s schedule is the easiest and the SEC allows them to keep their historic rivalry with Tennessee because they pay them off. Then you have Alabama fans that believe any rule or schedule change is in an effort to limit Alabama’s dominance. It doesn’t help that this new commissioner is totally incompetent.
So the only thing other than Bama and Auburn to the east and Vandy and Mizzou to the west that would solve it without much backlash is 9 game schedules like pretty much every other P5 conference. I don’t like it, but it would put an end to these scheduling conspiracy theories.
Who cares what they think? They sure didn't mind us playing six teams in one season that had a bye week before playing us... :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Coach Bryant attempted to schedule all of the other nine schools when the conference was just 10 teams and the minimum required by the SEC was six conference games. He never was able to accomplish that because very few of them were willing to schedule more than the six required, but he was able to schedule 8 of them in 1972 and 1973. And scheduled 7 almost every year until the SEC changed the six game minimum rule in 1980 to the six game minimum/maximum rule. In fact the Bama-Ole Miss games of 1980 and 1981 were already on the schedule as a 7th game for both and rather than drop them they were played as OOC games. Those are the only two games in SEC history played by conference opponents in the regular season that didn't count in the standings.

Alabama has always attempted, when allowed, to schedule as many conference opponents as possible. The 1958 schedule that Coach Bryant inherited had 8 conference games in a 10 game schedule.

BECAUSE in their minds, anything that Saban wants must be a bad thing... :biggrin:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
HUH? Seriously?!? :eek2:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.