Link: Auburn, UGA, and SEC in Talks to Move AU/UGA Game on Schedule

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When it comes to schedule strength/weakness Bama is always at a disadvantage in this debate because we don't have to play ourselves.

Think somebody said it upthread, but I betcha both Auburn and Georgia will not agree to this unless they think it helps both of them and, in the current state of the SEC, that means to help them in regards to beating Bama.

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
Don't you mean AAC so they can play Central Florida every year.
Perfectly fine with me! I hate when we play them. We are always a little bruised and battered by that time and they get to take advantage of it. Particularly when played in Jerkin-Hair.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Regardless of how this works out, many of my friends are saying they won’t attend a game at BDS until Nov of this year. Why? Our competitive games don’t really start until then. Right now—I agree with them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Can I have all your tickets?
I for the life of me can't understand the whole, people only wanting to attend games Alabama might lose thing. I get it if you're an Auburn fan, why would an Auburn fan want to watch Alabama win a game? Of course they might tune into a game purely for the enjoyment of seeing Alabama struggle. Why on earth would Alabama fans only want that though?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I for the life of me can't understand the whole, people only wanting to attend games Alabama might lose thing. I get it if you're an Auburn fan, why would an Auburn fan want to watch Alabama win a game? Of course they might tune into a game purely for the enjoyment of seeing Alabama struggle. Why on earth would Alabama fans only want that though?
Because more competitive games/games against better competition are more fun?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ve gone to just about every home game since 2012 because I sell things during games and usually get tickets. But I gotta tell sometimes it’s better to skip those scooter poot games and watch it at a tailgate and/or at home. If you seen one then you have seen them all. It really depends on how much you go and how much the week whoops you that determines if your level of liking those games. So yeah I get folks limiting themselves to only big games.

But as a “competitive” game... I hope I never see another one because it’s hell when you are there and a relief when it’s over. Everyone that I’ve told that I was able to sneak into the UGA NCG always says “ wow you saw a really exciting game”. I always say “ it was exciting when it was over but hell living through”.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
The SEC should flip the barn-UGA game to the SEC opener for both schools. That will separate the UGA game from the Bama game for the barners and give UGA a rivalry game on each end of the schedule as well.

I also wish there was a team in the SECE who would have the guts to play Alabama every year, as an OOC game if necessary, just like Ole Miss used to do back when Coach Bryant and Coach Vaught scheduled games the SEC office would not. But when teams like Tennessee are whining bout having to play us every year when others in the SECE don't have to, I don't expect it to happen.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Because more competitive games/games against better competition are more fun?
Define fun, you mean thinking Alabama might lose is fun?

I get it if you're not an Alabama fan, absolutely. Most people probably cheer against Alabama, but there's no part of Alabama possibly losing that I find fun.

but as a “competitive” game... I hope I never see another one because it’s hell when you are there and a relief when it’s over. Everyone that I’ve told that I was able to sneak into the UGA NCG always says “ wow you saw a really exciting game”. I always say “ it was exciting when it was over but hell living through”.
Worst game experience I've ever had was a competitive game, basically after that I decided it was just as well to avoid them. Granted, the best experience I've had was also a competitive one, but I'd take watching Alabama beat a team by 35 over 50/50 odds it's one or other of the latter.

I guess my viewpoint is a bit different than many though. I view myself as a fan and supporter of the Alabama team, not just someone wanting to be entertained. Their value for me doesn't begin and end as long as I find the outcome in doubt, I like cheering for the second and third string, I like Alabama winning handily, in fact I watch pretty much every single game longing for the moment in which they can put it away and bring in the backups.

There's also an element of this which I think is just some Alabama fans being spoiled. Let's take Mike Tyson for example. When he was at his best, I get why someone who actively disliked Tyson only had interest in a match they thought he might lose. I mean why would someone who hates Tyson watch him destroy someone in the first round? On the other hand though, if you're a Tyson fan how can you not appreciate that? How can you not be like this is exactly what I want to have happen (and I'd add that the better Alabama becomes, the more fans can look at games as meaningless)? Furthermore, if you were a boxing fan in that era, why would you not want to witness what Tyson was doing? Is greatness really boring to most people? Greatness is rare and special, it's only boring because we don't appreciate it.

A truly average team will end up with mostly competitive games, is that what people really want?

Sorry for going off topic, but that's just something that annoys me. We want Alabama to be great, but wake us up when Alabama might lose... just really really hard to follow that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I get it if you're not an Alabama fan, absolutely. Most people probably cheer against Alabama, but there's no part of Alabama possibly losing that I find fun.
Yes, winning big games against comparable talent/coaching is more fun than winning games against teams that are clearly outmatched. Competition is fun.

IMO the more doubt there is that you win a game the greater the joy is when you win it. At least for me. and that includes both as a fan and when I used to play sports competitively.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Worst game experience I've ever had was a competitive game, basically after that I decided it was just as well to avoid them. Granted, the best experience I've had was also a competitive one, but I'd take watching Alabama beat a team by 35 over 50/50 odds it's one or other of the latter.

I guess my viewpoint is a bit different than many though. I view myself as a fan and supporter of the Alabama team, not just someone wanting to be entertained. Their value for me doesn't begin and end as long as I find the outcome in doubt, I like cheering for the second and third string, I like Alabama winning handily, in fact I watch pretty much every single game longing for the moment in which they can put it away and bring in the backups.

There's also an element of this which I think is just some Alabama fans being spoiled. Let's take Mike Tyson for example. When he was at his best, I get why someone who actively disliked Tyson only had interest in a match they thought he might lose. I mean why would someone who hates Tyson watch him destroy someone in the first round? On the other hand though, if you're a Tyson fan how can you not appreciate that? How can you not be like this is exactly what I want to have happen (and I'd add that the better Alabama becomes, the more fans can look at games as meaningless)? Furthermore, if you were a boxing fan in that era, why would you not want to witness what Tyson was doing? Is greatness really boring to most people? Greatness is rare and special, it's only boring because we don't appreciate it.

A truly average team will end up with mostly competitive games, is that what people really want?

Sorry for going off topic, but that's just something that annoys me. We want Alabama to be great, but wake us up when Alabama might lose... just really really hard to follow that.
1st, entertaining to me is Bama blowing out a good opponent or winning comfortably.

2nd I thought you were talking more about the scooter poot games (ie NMSU, USM, and WCU). I think the problem is most fans want to see something that has a good feel and atmosphere. Like I said, I sell at every home game, and there is a different crowd that goes to LSU and a different crowd that goes to USM. Most season ticket holders I know are looking forward to USM, but just about all are looking for to LSU is my point. Going to 7 games is tough on the pocket, and bad condition wise in September. I think picking and choosing between going to a USM game in September and going to a LSU game in November is almost a no brainer for most.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The SEC should flip the barn-UGA game to the SEC opener for both schools. That will separate the UGA game from the Bama game for the barners and give UGA a rivalry game on each end of the schedule as well.

I also wish there was a team in the SECE who would have the guts to play Alabama every year, as an OOC game if necessary, just like Ole Miss used to do back when Coach Bryant and Coach Vaught scheduled games the SEC office would not. But when teams like Tennessee are whining bout having to play us every year when others in the SECE don't have to, I don't expect it to happen.
With the exception of having a 6 SEC game minimum, the SEC had nothing to do with the scheduling until the expansion in 1992. The minimum rule was changed in 1980 to a six SEC game minimum/maximum. This resulted in the only two games in SEC history played between conference opponents during the regular season that were not counted in the standings. Those being the 1980 and 1981 Bama-Ole Miss games. Those games had already been scheduled as a seventh SEC game by both schools and rather than dropping them from the schedules they were played as OOC games. Coach Bryant AND Coach Vaught NEVER scheduled games that were OOC games. ALL of them counted in the standings.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.