Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. TAMU... - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. TAMU...

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    It all falls on the head coach in the end, but I believe you're right. There's something else at play, not just poor coaching.

At the end of January, Alabama was +5.65 in rebounding margin. After last night, it's +3.73. Alabama out rebounded A&M by 7 in the first game. Last night? Script was flipped, and A&M won +7.

The last three games have been -9, -8, and -7. The three worse rebounding games of the year.

Where did the team that went +11 against Vanderbilt go? Or +8 against Kentucky? Or +5 against Tennessee?
    Rebounding is about ONE thing: WANT TO - but that ultimately falls on the coach too. No accountability, or so it seems, is killing us.

Has Cecil weighed in yet? After his scolding article the other day I'm curious how he follows that up?

BamaNation All-SEC

This team is truly an enigma to say the least. It seemed like we figured it out for a while during the time we had the stretch against UK and Tenn. After that, it seemed like we lost it. Not sure if Hall is injured or not but it seems like he's regressed in his initial level of play this season. I know he's not the reason why the team is losing but it seems like his energy helps drive the focus of the team.

The process of not relying on fundamentals is concerning. You can't dig your way out of a shooting slump by taking 3s as your only shot in a possession. They've been resorting to that trend the last couple of games instead of trying to attack the basket to set up a quality shot, and its been costing them dearly.

Seems like this team has regressed from consistent leadership, focus, fight and sound fundamentals. All of that is not directly on CAJ but he does have his fair share of the blame. It's a team issue, an individual player issue, AND a coaching issue. They need to really take time now to dedicate themselves playing sound basketball and fighting for each W here on out. Be a dominate team for a full game ... each game here on out.

One of the players or several players need to step up and focus on fighting for the success of this team. That's the biggest difference from last season to this season. As much flack Sexton got from some fans from him being a ball hog, he did have the focus to fight for a win each game. Right now, I can't point to one person outside of maybe Norris and AJ junior that has that similar fight game in and game out.

Ironically, it was the one game they physically almost got into a fight that they ended up dominating (Ole Miss). I'm guessing that was because of the emotion of the situation BUT they need to get into tapping into the 'mindset' of fighting and dominating as a team EACH game. And the sad thing is, they already know this as basketball players ... why they are not doing this beats the heck out of me lol

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    This team is truly an enigma to say the least. It seemed like we figured it out for a while during the time we had the stretch against UK and Tenn. After that, it seemed like we lost it. Not sure if Hall is injured or not but it seems like he's regressed in his initial level of play this season. I know he's not the reason why the team is losing but it seems like his energy helps drive the focus of the team.

The process of not relying on fundamentals is concerning. You can't dig your way out of a shooting slump by taking 3s as your only shot in a possession. They've been resorting to that trend the last couple of games instead of trying to attack the basket to set up a quality shot, and its been costing them dearly.

Seems like this team has regressed from consistent leadership, focus, fight and sound fundamentals. All of that is not directly on CAJ but he does have his fair share of the blame. It's a team issue, an individual player issue, AND a coaching issue. They need to really take time now to dedicate themselves playing sound basketball and fighting for each W here on out. Be a dominate team for a full game ... each game here on out.

One of the players or several players need to step up and focus on fighting for the success of this team. That's the biggest difference from last season to this season. As much flack Sexton got from some fans from him being a ball hog, he did have the focus to fight for a win each game. Right now, I can't point to one person outside of maybe Norris and AJ junior that has that similar fight game in and game out.

Ironically, it was the one game they physically almost got into a fight that they ended up dominating (Ole Miss). I'm guessing that was because of the emotion of the situation BUT they need to get into tapping into the 'mindset' of fighting and dominating as a team EACH game. And the sad thing is, they already know this as basketball players ... why they are not doing this beats the heck out of me lol
    A couple of things I see different:

1. I don't see our offensive woes the way you do. I think we pass up way to many open 3s. I don't think we take enough of them and I think we force too many drives into the lane and it causes wild shots and TOs.

2. I don't see AJJr. as being a leader. I'll just stop there.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnToGlory View Post
    Precedent doesn't really give us too much hope. Johnson is 3-12 in the last 5 games of regular season in first 3 years.
    Fast approaching a Gottfraudian slip, or slash, of Occam's Razor...

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    But from day one I have always had this nagging question as to whether coaching ability at the NBA level translated down to college level. IMO, it does not. ...
    This is no longer an "opinion". It is pure fact that he cannot translate coaching into the NCAA level.
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

From a layman basketball fan this is what I see.

The opposition has realized we are not a good fundamental ball handling team and we're weak at the charity stripe. They know when to pressure and rush us into making decisions outside of our comfort zone. They make and execute a defensive plan to prevent us from running the court and making us run half court offense then make us uncomfortable with quickness and effort. Until such time as fundamentals are focused and practiced we'll never be a legit tourney team.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I can't get as deep into the stats and numbers as some of you, but I can say that there are guys on this team that have been there for years now. And at times, they still play like lost freshmen.

The lack of effort is baffling. You are in a very special situation indeed if you have been selected to play basketball on the major college level. I know Alabama is not Kentucky or Duke. But it's not Snead State either. It is a huge deal to play in that uniform, on that stage, and it looks like most of our guys just really couldn't be bothered by it.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post

The opposition has realized we are not a good fundamental ball handling team and we're weak at the charity stripe. They know when to pressure and rush us into making decisions outside of our comfort zone. They make and execute a defensive plan to prevent us from running the court and making us run half court offense then make us uncomfortable with quickness and effort. Until such time as fundamentals are focused and practiced we'll never be a legit tourney team.
    Another layman point of view: We miss shots and only get one shot at the basket because we have zero presence inside. I like Donta hall, but he has just disappeared. His production is down, both in points and rebounds since for the last month.. Maybe they are doubling him down low and no one else has stepped up. If so that is coaching. The same formula that has worked for years on us is to defend us in a zone force us to force us to shoot from outside. We have proven time and again that this strategy woks almost every time.

Rebounding has become the elephant in the room. BTW, Quick tidbit. I saw Erwin Dudley the other day and told him he needs to teach out kids to get into proper rebounding position. He said I was right they need to block out much better. This goes back to our toughness and the strength coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post

If I was an opposing coach, I'm really content when we try to be a half court offensive team. Our current roster is made up of athletes more than basketball players so we ought to be out in transition running and trying to get cheap points. Of course, we need clean rebounding for that and that's another struggle.

I thought I remember Avery saying we were going to be a uptempo offense. What happened with that plan?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    If I was an opposing coach, I'm really content when we try to be a half court offensive team. Our current roster is made up of athletes more than basketball players so we ought to be out in transition running and trying to get cheap points. Of course, we need clean rebounding for that and that's another struggle.

I thought I remember Avery saying we were going to be a uptempo offense. What happened with that plan?
    It got stuck in a file cabinet with Anthony Grant's uptempo plan.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    It got stuck in a file cabinet with Anthony Grant's uptempo plan.
    Did Nolan Richardson kicked the bucket? Has he got any disciples left???

BamaNation All-American

Hard to grasp that yet again our best player is a freshman. It doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk