Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. TAMU...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Avery makes more than Tony Bennett at UVA. Why not make a run at him? Yes, I know the loss to the 16 seed last year isn’t great, but he coaches the fundamentals needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve thought that this too. I think he loves it there right now though. UVA would give him a raise even with a big money offer.

I would love to have Wojo from Marquette, Prohm just doesn’t excite me at all.

Hoiberg is on the top of my list, but it’s possible that he may get another NBA gig.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Avery Johnson makes more than Villanova’s coach.
He’s the 15th highest paid coach in the country. Somehow he makes more than Roy Williams, Mark Few, Wojo, Matt Painter, Bruce Pearl, Leonard Hamilton, and Jim Boeheim.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Let’s face it, the university thought they were making an aggressive offer to a big brand head coach when Avery was hired. It just didn’t pan out that way. Which is why if they want to prove they are serious about the program it’s time to move on.

It’s a doggone shame, but it’s not worth paying a guy top 15 money for these kinds of results.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
We OFs remember Wimp and CM's teams. It needn't be that way...
I know. I really don't remember alot of CM's days but I started really following Bama basketball around 1982. I love it as much as football. Was a student from 1988-1993 and watching and going to games was so much fun. NCAA tournament was a given. It was so sad this past weekend that i was looking forward to watching the Birmingham Iron more than our game.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I have fully accepted the fact that the basketball program "is what it is" and that is a 20-15 (6-7) type program. Apathy sucks but that is where I am with the basketball program.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We have not been able to rise above mediocrity in basketball since our last run in with the NCAA. I think there is a corelation that was confirmed for me with the Chuck Person investigation of what it takes to get elite basketball players to come to your school. It’s evident during last CMG and CAG years that those practices weren’t apart of our recruiting strategy based on the level of players we had. We tried to overcome these rightfully self-imposed limitations by hiring a name coach with a NBA pedigree that had some measure of success at that level to recruit at higher level with so far mixed results.

From day one, I was impressed with CAJ as a person and still like him. And I firmly believe we need a coach with an engaging personality to generate attention to the program when that attention is hard to come by.

But from day one I have always had this nagging question as to whether coaching ability at the NBA level translated down to college level. IMO, it does not. IMO, NBA coaches are superior psychologists whereas college coaches are superior at skill development and in game strategy. I believe that CAJ has a good eye for raw talent for an NBA player in the making as you would expect most NBA coaches to have. However, I do not believe he has the practice or discipline structure to get the best out of his players. He is our basketball version of Shula.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
It seems that we have become like the Malzahn coached Auburn teams. We start so-so to bad, fans lose hope, January hits and we beat some teams we shouldn’t, optimism returns, then February hits and the wheels fall off.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We are who we are at this point. It is soo frustrating to watch us implode. This team has talent, but clearly has mental issues. No one has confidence to shoot when we go thru these shooting droughts. We turn the ball over constantly especially when the game is on the line. I think we turned it over at the end of the game 4 or 5 times. I love Bama basketball, but i am about at my futility limit.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A change needs to be made, but I just don't think it will happen. I might poke my head in here for the next game, but I will not watch it angers up the blood.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We are who we are at this point. It is soo frustrating to watch us implode. This team has talent, but clearly has mental issues. No one has confidence to shoot when we go thru these shooting droughts. We turn the ball over constantly especially when the game is on the line. I think we turned it over at the end of the game 4 or 5 times. I love Bama basketball, but i am about at my futility limit.
Turned it over four times in the last eight minutes of the game, which led to six points for TAMU.

I'm NOT blaming the loss on the officials. Just curious after looking at the stats. Does anyone recall a game where the fouls were pretty much even at 13 to 12 but the FTs were 7 to 16? That was the difference (stat wise) in the game. Alabama made one more FG, and the teams were even on 3PT FGs made. A&M was 15-16 from the line while Alabama shot 4-7.

This was a game where the team put itself in the situation, not the officials. I'm just amazed to see the fouls so even while the FTA are so skewed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think I'm done. I feel like I did after Alabama lost to Tennessee in 2006; I knew at that point there was no hope for Mike Shula at Alabama as a head coach.

I really wanted this to work out for Avery Johnson.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We OFs remember Wimp and CM's teams. It needn't be that way...
We are traditionally the second best basketball school in the SEC, but after the last 20 years or so, I doubt that's true anymore.

I don't know what has to happen to return to the days when threatening the SEC tourney is expected, making the NCAA tourney is a given and getting to the sweet 16 is real possible. Those are days long gone right now.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Turned it over four times in the last eight minutes of the game, which led to six points for TAMU.

I'm NOT blaming the loss on the officials. Just curious after looking at the stats. Does anyone recall a game where the fouls were pretty much even at 13 to 12 but the FTs were 7 to 16? That was the difference (stat wise) in the game. Alabama made one more FG, and the teams were even on 3PT FGs made. A&M was 15-16 from the line while Alabama shot 4-7.

This was a game where the team put itself in the situation, not the officials. I'm just amazed to see the fouls so even while the FTA are so skewed.
I don't buy into the officiating is costing us games. I know some games are worse than others, but I think they are usually equally poor in officiating the games for both sides.

Concerning the equal fouls but unequal free throw attemps, remember we fouled a three point shooter twice in the game and gave them 6 FT off two fouls. Lately, we seem to manage doing this at least once per game...another coaching detail that should be fixed.

Also, remember that near the end of the game, A&M wasn't even in the bonus. When they slow played the clock and we soft played them on defense before they hit that crucial three to seal it, we still had one or two fouls to give before they went to the line for the plus 1. Again, a coaching mistake when when should have fouled to get them to the bonus.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.