Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. TAMU...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
From a layman basketball fan this is what I see.

The opposition has realized we are not a good fundamental ball handling team and we're weak at the charity stripe. They know when to pressure and rush us into making decisions outside of our comfort zone. They make and execute a defensive plan to prevent us from running the court and making us run half court offense then make us uncomfortable with quickness and effort. Until such time as fundamentals are focused and practiced we'll never be a legit tourney team.
Another layman point of view: We miss shots and only get one shot at the basket because we have zero presence inside. I like Donta hall, but he has just disappeared. His production is down, both in points and rebounds since for the last month.. Maybe they are doubling him down low and no one else has stepped up. If so that is coaching. The same formula that has worked for years on us is to defend us in a zone force us to force us to shoot from outside. We have proven time and again that this strategy woks almost every time.

Rebounding has become the elephant in the room. BTW, Quick tidbit. I saw Erwin Dudley the other day and told him he needs to teach out kids to get into proper rebounding position. He said I was right they need to block out much better. This goes back to our toughness and the strength coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From a layman basketball fan this is what I see.

The opposition has realized we are not a good fundamental ball handling team and we're weak at the charity stripe. They know when to pressure and rush us into making decisions outside of our comfort zone. They make and execute a defensive plan to prevent us from running the court and making us run half court offense then make us uncomfortable with quickness and effort. Until such time as fundamentals are focused and practiced we'll never be a legit tourney team.
If I was an opposing coach, I'm really content when we try to be a half court offensive team. Our current roster is made up of athletes more than basketball players so we ought to be out in transition running and trying to get cheap points. Of course, we need clean rebounding for that and that's another struggle.

I thought I remember Avery saying we were going to be a uptempo offense. What happened with that plan?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If I was an opposing coach, I'm really content when we try to be a half court offensive team. Our current roster is made up of athletes more than basketball players so we ought to be out in transition running and trying to get cheap points. Of course, we need clean rebounding for that and that's another struggle.

I thought I remember Avery saying we were going to be a uptempo offense. What happened with that plan?
It got stuck in a file cabinet with Anthony Grant's uptempo plan.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Hard to grasp that yet again our best player is a freshman. It doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Hard to grasp that yet again our best player is a freshman. It doesn't reflect well on the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not just your standard freshman either. A 17 year old who should be playing in high school right now..

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
A couple of things I see different:

1. I don't see our offensive woes the way you do. I think we pass up way to many open 3s. I don't think we take enough of them and I think we force too many drives into the lane and it causes wild shots and TOs.

2. I don't see AJJr. as being a leader. I'll just stop there.
To offer clarification:

1. I was noting that when the team would be down or in a shooting slump, a good percentage of the time they would a take a three as soon as they crossed midcourt instead of setting up to try for a higher percentage shot. This also resulted in a long rebound for the opposing team and they would push it down the court to get a high percentage shot/layup. I agree that also get senseless turnovers at times when trying to attack the basket when there wasn't a lane to do so.

2. I never said AJ jr was a leader ... was talking about the effort or the 'fight' he and Norris consistently give when they are on the floor. The point is the guys that should be showing more fight in their effort hasn't been showing it consistently for whatever reason. I understand we all have off games ... but this is more about them consistently showing the effort to 'fight' to win games.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You know things are bad when Alabama men’s basketball shut down the comments feed on their Instagram during the game and there is open speculation about who Alabama should go after as their next head coach.
The “tale of two halves” and “lack of energy” cliches CAJ throws out are beginning to wear on even those in the media.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I didn't post last night because I was to disgusted. I wonder if AJ will coach better when his son is gone. I think he is a distraction to him. I saw the look he had when he was pulled after bricking another 3. I know we need better facilities but these losses have nothing to do with that. The team is making way to many bone head mistakes even guys that have been around the program for a while. They tightened up in the second half when TAMU started coming back. It was like the players were saying may as well stop trying we know how this is going to end. Going to keep watching but I don't believe we make it to the big dance in fact we don't deserve to go.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Aside from ball handling, body position and control, shooting, rebounding, blocking out, shooting free throws, passing, working to get an open shot, inbounding the ball, and playing defense we seem to do a lot of things really well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Aside from ball handling, body position and control, shooting, rebounding, blocking out, shooting free throws, passing, working to get an open shot, inbounding the ball, and playing defense we seem to do a lot of things really well.
Just to add to your list: basketball IQ, clock awareness, fouling 3 point shooters, blown 3 on 2 fast breaks, failure to get loose balls, nepotism, passion, accountability....

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
It is difficult to see a coach that appears to be excited to be here and has such a great vision of where he wants the team to be. He seems to be so genuine in his approach. He wants it as badly as the fans and players do. I think that is one reason he has been able to recruit well. Unfortunately the product on the court tells the ultimate story. The vision and desire does not appear to be translating onto the court.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I didn't post last night because I was to disgusted. I wonder if AJ will coach better when his son is gone. I think he is a distraction to him. I saw the look he had when he was pulled after bricking another 3. I know we need better facilities but these losses have nothing to do with that. The team is making way to many bone head mistakes even guys that have been around the program for a while. They tightened up in the second half when TAMU started coming back. It was like the players were saying may as well stop trying we know how this is going to end. Going to keep watching but I don't believe we make it to the big dance in fact we don't deserve to go.
Coach Wimp made a good point about the mental aspect of the game on JOX today. Was alluding to the fact that sometimes guys get into a slump of losing and its hard to mentally break from it. So that could be the case that mentally they were like oh here we go again. He also noted that right now we as fans shouldn't overreact to whats been going on and that the team just need to focus on winning one game at a time.

They have the tools to be a dangerous team, they just have to remember that and get back to the things that made them successful in the earlier part of the season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Coach Wimp made a good point about the mental aspect of the game on JOX today. Was alluding to the fact that sometimes guys get into a slump of losing and its hard to mentally break from it. So that could be the case that mentally they were like oh here we go again. He also noted that right now we as fans shouldn't overreact to whats been going on and that the team just need to focus on winning one game at a time.

They have the tools to be a dangerous team, they just have to remember that and get back to the things that made them successful in the earlier part of the season.
IOW, start winning and the fans will quit murmuring.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Wimp is out of touch on this subject. The fans haven't overreacted at all. He's got it right about the team though - take it one game at a time. The problem is, they haven't done that in 15 years or more.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wimp is out of touch on this subject. The fans haven't overreacted at all. He's got it right about the team though - take it one game at a time. The problem is, they haven't done that in 15 years or more.
Wimp never coached with social media. That alone changes the whole dynamic.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.