Alabama Takes Two Punters as Preferred Walk-On's in 2019 Class

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They can be on the campus this summer, so they will get a chance to win the spot.

Punter: Jack Martin, Tylan Perine, Mike Bernier, Skyler Delong.
PK: Joseph Bulovas , Will Reichard (P/PK)

I wonder if we are going to add another PWO or are content with what we have at PK?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sure hoping the Hoover kid is the answer at PK. At some point, the odds have got to be in our favor that one of these guys becomes a solid, multi-year starter.
Me too. According to his kicking coach he is a once in a generation talent but it seems something happens to our kickers when they put on that crimson helmet.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Excited to see competition coming in. High school kickers are really hard to predict.

Our poor kicking has forced CNS to manage the game differently and it doesn't really seem to fit his style. Hoping we take a big step forward this year.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's great to see our coaching staff invest into quality PK"ers & punters cause our kicking game sure needs the competition for sure..This video gives us a look into who I think could literally win both jobs...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The helmet is kind of like kryptonite for our kickers of late.
This is true, and it is very weird to me because I grew up with Peter Kim, Van Tiffin, Philip Doyle, Michael Proctor, etc. It seemed that we had a great kicker for about 10-15 straight years. Of course, we didn't win as much then as we do now, so I guess I would rather have our last 10-11 years with weak kickers than the 1980-1995 years with great kickers. We had some good years during that time, but we have been other worldly over the last decade.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is true, and it is very weird to me because I grew up with Peter Kim, Van Tiffin, Philip Doyle, Michael Proctor, etc. It seemed that we had a great kicker for about 10-15 straight years. Of course, we didn't win as much then as we do now, so I guess I would rather have our last 10-11 years with weak kickers than the 1980-1995 years with great kickers. We had some good years during that time, but we have been other worldly over the last decade.
Those were all great kickers and I would take any of them right now. What is strange is none of them played in the NFL and I can't ever recall a Bama FG kicker in the NFL. The only position we have not thrived in the NFL.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I would venture to say that place-kicking is about 50% talent and 50% mental...give or take 40%!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have no inside information whatsoever, but here's my take on the kicking situation.

The two PWO punters are insurance. The staff doesn't feel that they can go another year with a repeat of last year's problems. From all reports, De Long has the physical talent, but can't translate practice performance into games. That's 100% mental. From my own observation, Bernier can handle the mental aspect, but lacks leg strength, and is slow to get the ball off. If neither makes material improvement in the spring, the PWOs get a serious look.

I know, I know, throwing a true freshman into the SEC grind isn't ideal. But the status quo is unacceptable. Not a lot of good choices here.

PK is maddening. Jess is right in that Bulovas made most of his FGs, but the PAT misses are inexcusable. I'm told (haven't researched to verify) that we missed more PATs last year than the rest of the SEC combined. That, my friends, is an abomination.

It's highly unusual for a player to be truly accomplished at both punting and placekicking. Reichard could be the exception that proves the rule, but history says the odds are against it, and that he and we are better off with him concentrating on his major strength -- PK.

My uninformed prediction is:
We don't have a punter that will make us forget JK Scott. But one of the four shows himself to be serviceable enough. Reichard stays as a full-time PK. He starts off as the KO man, and is gradually worked in as the full-time placekicker.

If none of the four punters turn out to be at least passable, and Reichard ends up as a clear #1 there, my concern is that it retards his development at PK, which is truly his highest and best use.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.