Steve Prohm's wikipedia page has him listed as UA HC . . .LOL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Steve Prohm's wikipedia page has him listed as UA HC . . .LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Prohm

Tried to post a screen shot, but can't get it to work.

Current position
    Title Head coach
    Team Alabama Crimson Tide
    Conference Southeastern Conference
    Record 79–48
    Annual salary $2,000,000 • contract extension through 2022
    Last edited by DogPatch; February 20th, 2019 at 03:03 PM.

BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Steve Prohm's wikipedia page has him listed as UA HC . . .LOL

Wishful thinking by someone. He is going to have the Cyclones in the NCAA's for the third time in four years, and his salary IS $2 million. Would it take us doubling that to get him here? I know he graduated from Alabama, but he is from Virginia and has no ties here except for his diploma?

If we beat Vandy Saturday and wind up 16-15 before going to the SECT I still think that CAJ gets another year because of the class he signed. I just don't understand how a team who was a virtual lock for an NCAA bid even after the Auburn game has fallen completely off a cliff so quickly? No matter what happens with CAJ I would like to understand how this happened.

rtr

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Wishful thinking by someone. He is going to have the Cyclones in the NCAA's for the third time in four years, and his salary IS $2 million. Would it take us doubling that to get him here? I know he graduated from Alabama, but he is from Virginia and has no ties here except for his diploma?

If we beat Vandy Saturday and wind up 16-15 before going to the SECT I still think that CAJ gets another year because of the class he signed. I just don't understand how a team who was a virtual lock for an NCAA bid even after the Auburn game has fallen completely off a cliff so quickly? No matter what happens with CAJ I would like to understand how this happened.

rtr
    Alabama pays Avery $2.8 million. Would be able to pay Prohm more than Iowa State by a big chunk then.... IF something could happen with Avery's buyout.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Alabama pays Avery $2.8 million. Would be able to pay Prohm more than Iowa State by a big chunk then.... IF something could happen with Avery's buyout.
    I might be in the minority here, but Prohm just doesnít excite me. Maybe because I really want Hoiberg or Wojo.
    Heck, I think Ray Harper from Jacksonville St. is a better coach than CAJ. We would then have a coach with the same name as me lol (my full name is Michael Ray Harper)

I wouldnít be mad if we hired Prohm, but I think that we could do better. Maybe Iím wrong.

I actually wasnít into the Avery Johnson hire at all. He sold me on what he would build and I supported him (almost blindly) so I, apparently, was right with my doubts from the beginning lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    I might be in the minority here, but Prohm just doesn’t excite me. ...
    I wouldn’t be mad if we hired Prohm, but I think that we could do better. Maybe I’m wrong.
    Back to the future: Your comments above seemed to be consensus here four years ago before the Koch Bros. doubled Marshall's pay at Wichita State to keep him and Avery came out of nowhere to land in Tuscaloosa. Comments about Prohm that still apply for many here, it seems.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

We have made two big name hires in our last two hires so I don't need a big name coach (Grant was considered a home run with his VCU run and Donovan connection). Give me somebody like a Will Wade at LSWho or Kermit Davis at Ole Sis who seem to be very good teaching coaches and motivate their players. Prohm fits that bill IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    We have made two big name hires in our last two hires so I don't need a big name coach (Grant was considered a home run with his VCU run and Donovan connection). Give me somebody like a Will Wade at LSWho or Kermit Davis at Ole Sis who seem to be very good teaching coaches and motivate their players. Prohm fits that bill IMO.
    Would you want Prohm if he werenít an Alumni? I just donít think that a coach whose teams are generally known for not being ďmentally toughĒ is what this program needs. That is our issue right now.

Actually, I think Iíve moved to Wojo being #1 On my list with Hoiberg #2. I really like Hoiberg, but he built ISU with JUCO players and I donít think we can consistently do that. Again, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    Would you want Prohm if he weren’t an Alumni? I just don’t think that a coach whose teams are generally known for not being “mentally tough” is what this program needs. That is our issue right now.

Actually, I think I’ve moved to Wojo being #1 On my list with Hoiberg #2. I really like Hoiberg, but he built ISU with JUCO players and I don’t think we can consistently do that. Again, I could be wrong.

Yes I would based on his resume. I was not aware he had a rep for not having mentally tough teams. I know he won a lot at Murray St and now at ISU and it can't be easy to recruit at ISU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...e-prohm-1.html

I agree Wojo comes from great stock with his Duke connection. His record at Marquette has been somewhat average except for this year and he has one of the top 3 players in the nation. He would be a good hire but he is somewhat unproven.

Yes I would based on his resume. I was not aware he had a rep for not having mentally tough teams. I know he won a lot at Murray St and now at ISU and it can't be easy to recruit at ISU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...e-prohm-1.html

I agree Wojo comes from great stock with his Duke connection. His record at Marquette has been somewhat average except for this year and he has one of the top 3 players in the nation. He would be a good hire but he is somewhat unproven.
    Ultimately, Prohm would be a slight upgrade. I would 100% support him. Iím just saying that he doesnít excite me.

Like I told a co-worker yesterday, at this point I would take Dan DíAntoni. We might not win a championship, but we would be exciting and fun to watch lol.
    (Iím being a bit facetious)

Will Wade was a big name hire for LSU. He was a Grant-like hire.

Kermit Davis was coaching MTSU because of his NCAA past. Ole Miss decided to take a chance after so many programs bypassed him due to his time at Texas A&M.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Will Wade was a big name hire for LSU. He was a Grant-like hire.

Kermit Davis was coaching MTSU because of his NCAA past. Ole Miss decided to take a chance after so many programs bypassed him due to his time at Texas A&M.
    It may have been but I had never heard of Wade until the LSU hire and had heard of Grant for few years due much to the Donovan connection.

I mentioned Wade and Davis due to how both of them have their kids playing, not that is who I wanted. I will take anybody like them who can coach up our kids and get us playing like their teams are now.

BamaNation Second Team

I agree with Mike Prohm does not excite me and apparently he didn't excite Bill Battle either, My top 2 are Fred Hoiberg and Thad Matta both are available.

BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlingerfelt31 View Post
    I agree with Mike Prohm does not excite me and apparently he didn't excite Bill Battle either, My top 2 are Fred Hoiberg and Thad Matta both are available.
    Matta would be interesting. I had forgotten that he was out there.