Link: NCAA hopes barely alive, what about Alabama’s heart?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NCAA hopes barely alive, what about Alabama’s heart?

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Re: NCAA hopes barely alive, what about Alabama’s heart?

Two less than rosy articles from Cecil in a week? Not a good sign.

BamaNation All-SEC

No, I think that Cecil has seen enough of this team, but we still have to play the games. If we can keep Vandy from winning their first conference game we will be underdogs the rest of the way and would finish 16-15 going into the SECCT. Lose the first one there and wind up 16-16 after being a virtual lock for an NCAA berth and what happens? As someone else posted, to finish the regular season with a whimper four straight years in a row? There has to be something wrong there, doesn't there?

My favorite sport is Alabama baseball. For several years now we have gone into series after series pretty much knowing you will be lucky to win one game in three, and it sucks, for lack of a better word. Seriously. Now the malaise is set in in men's basketball (there are other sports, but that's for another time). Mr. Byrne has to be doing some thinking about what he envisions for the future of this program and whether or not this staff is a part of it? It's just my opinion, but I think these last five games are a job interview for this staff.

rtr

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    Two less than rosy articles from Cecil in a week? Not a good sign.
    The one after the Florida game was much worse than this one. He's just stating the facts in this one: There's still a chance, but are you going to do what it takes to keep that chance alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    No, I think that Cecil has seen enough of this team, but we still have to play the games. If we can keep Vandy from winning their first conference game we will be underdogs the rest of the way and would finish 16-15 going into the SECCT. Lose the first one there and wind up 16-16 after being a virtual lock for an NCAA berth and what happens? As someone else posted, to finish the regular season with a whimper four straight years in a row? There has to be something wrong there, doesn't there?

My favorite sport is Alabama baseball. For several years now we have gone into series after series pretty much knowing you will be lucky to win one game in three, and it sucks, for lack of a better word. Seriously. Now the malaise is set in in men's basketball (there are other sports, but that's for another time). Mr. Byrne has to be doing some thinking about what he envisions for the future of this program and whether or not this staff is a part of it? It's just my opinion, but I think these last five games are a job interview for this staff.

rtr
    Avery's buyout is reportedly $9 million. A change isn't happening this year even if the team finishes 16-16.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation All-American

Surely Byrne recognizes the damage to the program is more than $2 million per year if we keep floundering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    Surely Byrne recognizes the damage to the program is more than $2 million per year if we keep floundering.
    In nobody's calculations but Malthusian, er, Malzahnian math can the damage to the program be more than $9 million in buyout money...

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The one after the Florida game was much worse than this one. He's just stating the facts in this one: There's still a chance, but are you going to do what it takes to keep that chance alive? Avery's buyout is reportedly $9 million. A change isn't happening this year even if the team finishes 16-16.
    I agree with your assessment on the articles. The first one was aimed squarely at the team's ears about lack of effort. Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment of one more year. However, it's eight million before April, 2019 and six million thereafter. That's the only thing which may allow a replacement this year, because, IIRC, it remains at six million for the next several years, perhaps making it not worthwhile to hold on another year... Edit: I think it was nine million up to April, 2018...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I agree with your assessment on the articles. The first one was aimed squarely at the team's ears about lack of effort. Unfortunately, I agree with your assessment of one more year. However, it's eight million before April, 2019 and six million thereafter. That's the only thing which may allow a replacement this year, because, IIRC, it remains at six million for the next several years, perhaps making it not worthwhile to hold on another year... Edit: I think it was nine million up to April, 2018...
    The only thing I could find was this USA Today list, which says $9 million as of 12/1/18. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...tball/coach/If it does drop to $6 million (and stays there for multiple years), have to really consider it.
    -- Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The only thing I could find was this USA Today list, which says $9 million as of 12/1/18. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...tball/coach/If it does drop to $6 million (and stays there for multiple years), have to really consider it.
    I'm remembering it from an old Montgomery Advertiser article. I'll see if I can find it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Here you go, if accurate... MonkyTiser

BamaNation Second Team

Amazing how we can be such a dominant team in football but can't seem to do anything else. Nothing in basketball (men or women) nothing in baseball. Ok, our Softball team is good and so is our Gymnastics team. But we are Alabama - our expectations should be much higher than what we've accomplished in the past 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasRTR View Post
    Amazing how we can be such a dominant team in football but can't seem to do anything else. Nothing in basketball (men or women) nothing in baseball. Ok, our Softball team is good and so is our Gymnastics team. But we are Alabama - our expectations should be much higher than what we've accomplished in the past 10-15 years.
    Totally agree Bama should be competitive in all sports. I don't think it is to much to ask to be consistently in the ncaa tournament for men and women's basketball and regionals in baseball.

BamaNation All-SEC

Maybe I am just naive, it has happened before, but I can't see Coach Johnson sticking around somewhere he isn't wanted, and would accept a deal if that is what it came down to. Personally I hope the guys get it in gear and win a few of these and at least get an NIT bid.

The incoming class is supposed to be really good.

Rtr