What’s your outlook for the 2019 season? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: What’s your outlook for the 2019 season?

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Only once in my research has a heisman runner up returned to win the heisman the next year. Tua would probably need a far better season than last year. I’m just playing the law of averages and saying he will not win it.
    This is why last year's results upset me so much, and why I have such disdain for the statements along the lines of "Oh Tua is coming back next year and he'll have a chance to win it. This is Murray's last collegiate season." As if that should factor in at all. When they didn't award Tua last year, they made it exponentially more difficult for him to win going forward.

Lawrence will be the front runner and barring injury, will put up massive numbers against that schedule. To be fair, Alabama's schedule appears to be a few notches easier this year too, but we all know how that works out in November. It will be very tough sledding for us by then as it is every year.

BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar

Good question. I think Bama upgraded at most of the coaching positions in terms of play calling and in-game adjustments. I think Alabama's offense is going to be really good again. I think the big thing to watch for is how much of an edge pass-rush we can develop. As we all saw last year, the pass rush off the edge wasn't there against Clemson. If Terrell Lewis can stay healthy, I like our chances. But to win the games that really matter, we can't let the opposing QB have all day to throw. I'll be interested to see how Bama plays against Clemson this year, because I still think they're the only viable challenger.

I'm curious to see what happens with our RBs. I think Najee will be the featured back and will probably get twice the carries of any other back. There is a lot of talent behind him, but they have to be dependable as blockers as well as receivers out of the backfield. That may be the weak point of our offense.

BamaNation All-SEC UntouchableCrew's Avatar

Looking at the regular season schedule it's hard to imagine worse than 11-1 with 12-0 being very possible. @ Texas A&M and @ Auburn will likely be the toughest games. I'm very curious how Jimbo has the Aggies looking next year. LSU at home feels like a relative layup at this point. They just haven't figured out how to do enough on offense to hang with good offensive teams.

UGA in the SEC Title game (assuming it happens) will obviously be the biggest challenge within the SEC. That could go either way, I'd think.

Then if we win that it's likley a relative softball in the semi-finals before facing Clemson again.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    . I'm very curious how Jimbo has the Aggies looking next year. .
    From what Im hearing from folks at aTm is that Jimbo might be a year or two away from competing for the SECW. Alot of their success last year was due to a pretty good team assembled by Sumlin.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I said last year that the offense relied entirely too much on Tua and the big play offense. I think that still applies this coming season. I hope coach Sarkisian can teach Tua to find the open receiver even if it a safety valve pass or a check down receiver and learn to throw it away rather than trying to force a play. Tua's health is a bigger priority this year than last year.

I am encouraged with the overall quality and experience of the new coaching staff. They are fortunate that they have a ton of talent to work with. I am in hopes the defense can get back to expectations. If all of this happens I only see @TAMU and @Auburn as potential losses. So we could be 12-0, but realistically one of these two could get us.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Like others have said I believe we have to have better luck with injuries. Also we need some young guys to grow up quickly on defense. I'm really not too worried about the offense with all we have coming back.
    I'm going to go 11-1 and we go back to the playoffs.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I expect there will be a re-calibration in culture and focus regarding assistant coaches. I know Tosh is the poster child for what went wrong with the youth movement on the coaching staff. But I don't think he was THE problem. I can assure you Saban has already started the re-boot and knows exactly how to fix it. I'll also add Saban has never exempt himself from critique and change. As many have discussed on here, younger players need more playing time even if they aren't perfectly ready to play. They need to be playing.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; February 26th, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team

I can realistically see 11-1. Only loss is a toss up between the usual suspects. At Auburn is possible, but we don't know anything about them from year to year, even week to week. Will aTm be improved? Who knows. LSU will be who they usually are: a tough physical game, but just needing the other team to screw up some so they can win. We are normally focused for that game. Plus, we have them at home. One of the 2 Mississippi schools will make a strong effort, but probably won't be Ole Miss.

But, i want to mention, right now, that Clemson is not going to go undefeated again next season. They play in a decent conference. Not the AAC like UCF. While the ACC isn't loaded with good teams, probably only has 2-3 teams that can even make noise in the polls next year, they have some rabid fanbases, and a road trip can screw up a 12-0 campaign if you aren't a focused team. I see them as that team that drops a game they shouldn't, similar to Alabama. I like Bama's chance of being 12-0 way more than Clemson, but they wind up in a good place for the CFP because their opponent in their conference title game will be on par with our Arkansas.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

With our coaching, programs in place, and incredible athletes, I fully expect us to contend for the national title again next year. Like many of you, I see either 12-0 or 11-1 in the regular season. I hope we win the SEC title game and move into the playoffs hungry.

BamaNation Second Team Lovthablues's Avatar

9-3 regular season 10-3 with bowl win!
    • Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovthablues View Post
    9-3 regular season 10-3 with bowl win!
    Booo! Come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    From what Im hearing from folks at aTm is that Jimbo might be a year or two away from competing for the SECW. Alot of their success last year was due to a pretty good team assembled by Sumlin.
    From a HUGE (access to coaches/locker room/field) aTm booster, "they have a ways to go before they jump from a 8 win team to a 10 win team much less a team that can compete with BAMA." Continued saying "they need at least 2 more recruiting classes and years in the weight room." He expects them to lose 4 or 5 games with BAMA, @Clemson, @LSU, @UGA on the schedule.

I expect BAMA to go 11-1 / 12-0 and win the SEC West. Then, beat Florida in the SEC Champ game, get the 2 seed in the playoff behind Clemson. Destroy Michigan in Arizona and get a rematch with Clemson in NOLA. With 16 days between the semi's and champ game, we will have plenty of time to prep for them. I predict we will spend about 5 practices working on Clemson leading up to our playoff game as well and be so focused that we destroy them by 40+. We will own NOLA!
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban