Ole Miss basketball players kneel during anthem

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...nthem-response-confederacy-rally?platform=amp

This was in protest of a pro-Confederate rally on campus. I don’t quite get the connection, but support their right to protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blind sheep following along with what's hot.

I whole heartedly support their ability to protest the rally, as I whole heartedly support my right to call their method of protest stupid.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
good for them. i hope they are able to ignore the nonsensical concern trolling and nasty push-back they are sure to receive
I don't understand why a single black person would want to support or play for the Rebs but whatever. Taking a knee is no big deal

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't understand why a single black person would want to support or play for the Rebs but whatever. Taking a knee is no big deal
i wonder if they are required to condemn jessie jackson, al sharpton, and louis farrakahn and make statements saying that folks should be more like mlk. jr. before being allowed to play

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Their goal was to draw attention to the idiot white supremacist group(s) on campus and they did that. I don't see it as a big deal, myself. Freedom of speech should be protected and respected. I think kneeling during the national anthem is what upsets many people and/or adds confusion. But they did bring about attention to their cause - and thus they succeeded in their goal to do so.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Am I the only one thinking that the basketball players should be singing the national anthem, and the Confederates should be protesting the US anthem? You guys need to switch sides.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Their goal was to draw attention to the idiot white supremacist group(s) on campus and they did that. I don't see it as a big deal, myself. Freedom of speech should be protected and respected. I think kneeling during the national anthem is what upsets many people and/or adds confusion. But they did bring about attention to their cause - and thus they succeeded in their goal to do so.
The sad thing is that we have to respect the knuckle-dragger confederates' 1st amendment rights. And I do as well.

The University gets beat up, and given 1962 and the struggle they have gone thru to distance themselves from Meredith, the flag, Dixie, etc....this stuff hits the news wires and it's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

So the takeaway many will have from this protest will be: THEY DISRESPECTED OUR MEN IN UNIFORM!! Rather than: Why in Hades does this neo-confederate crap persist? A good 150+ years after the seditious conflict was extinguished?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The sad thing is that we have to respect the knuckle-dragger confederates' 1st amendment rights. And I do as well.

The University gets beat up, and given 1962 and the struggle they have gone thru to distance themselves from Meredith, the flag, Dixie, etc....this stuff hits the news wires and it's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

So the takeaway many will have from this protest will be: THEY DISRESPECTED OUR MEN IN UNIFORM!! Rather than: Why in Hades does this neo-confederate crap persist? A good 150+ years after the seditious conflict was extinguished?
it persists in part because our country is still infested with neo-confederates.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I have no problem with the players kneeling, as it is their way of bringing attention to the issue they're protesting. There are certainly a lot worse ways for them to protest, and so it isn't a big deal to me that they are choosing to. People may disagree with how they're protesting, but what would be an acceptable way for them to protest? They want to create conversation, and they want that conversation to change how the general public react to those on the fringes (in this case, the white supremacists).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My response is the same as Ive always taken on the kneeling.... "Its their right to do it, your right to support or not support it, and your right to decide if it prevents you to watch it"

As far as Ole Miss is concerned, they shouldve taken all confederate things away once they took away Colonel Reb. Had they changed the name then, they probably would have a far easier time than they do now since back then there wasnt a huge issue about taking down confederate idols. But its Ole Miss....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My response is the same as Ive always taken on the kneeling.... "Its their right to do it, your right to support or not support it, and your right to decide if it prevents you to watch it"

As far as Ole Miss is concerned, they shouldve taken all confederate things away once they took away Colonel Reb. Had they changed the name then, they probably would have a far easier time than they do now since back then there wasnt a huge issue about taking down confederate idols. But its Ole Miss....
My wife is an Ole Miss grad/Oxford native, although she's disowned them both. However, her two sisters are "unreconstructed," to the point that there are numerous discussions they just can't have. They know better than to start with me. I told them long ago that my (Alabama native) antecedents fought in blue...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Once again I am glad our forefathers chose Crimson Tide and an elephant and not the rebel flag or a Native American symbol or name.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My wife is an Ole Miss grad/Oxford native, although she's disowned them both. However, her two sisters are "unreconstructed," to the point that there are numerous discussions they just can't have. They know better than to start with me. I told them long ago that my (Alabama native) antecedents fought in blue...
Its kinda funny that many folks think fighting for the confederacy was an easy choice for Alabamians, Tennesseans, and North Carolinians like it was for folks from South Carolina, Louisanna, and Mississippi. But fail to realize Andrew Jackson made alot of Southerners in those regions very hard core Union over state folks. I had more ancestors fight for the Union than the confederacy as well, and I think it isnt as uncommon as many SADOC tag buyers believe.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Its kinda funny that many folks think fighting for the confederacy was an easy choice for Alabamians, Tennesseans, and North Carolinians like it was for folks from South Carolina, Louisanna, and Mississippi. But fail to realize Andrew Jackson made alot of Southerners in those regions very hard core Union over state folks. I had more ancestors fight for the Union than the confederacy as well, and I think it isnt as uncommon as many SADOC tag buyers believe.
i grew up in the free state of winston county

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Nebraska state senator refers to American flag as 'a rag': 'That's all it is to me'

Senator Groene wants to talk about the meaning of respect. What do white people mean by it and what do black people mean by it? White people mean we’ve gotta bow down to what they tell us as black people to bow down to. I don’t come here for this rag every day, and it’s a rag. That’s all it is to me. When you show a way to persuade Jews to sanctify and worship the swastika — when you show me that I’ll come up here and stand while you all hypocritically pretend that rag is something that it definitely is not.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had two GGFs in the Union army, and a third too old. However, he was a member of the Union League and had all of his property confiscated by the confederate state of alabama. When he sued them, the defense was that the CSA was an illegal entity (same guys). I have his diary from 1867. His favorite name for confederates was "vipers," and the confederacy as a "pit of vipers"...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I know of two ancestors that fought on the side of the Confederacy for North Carolina. I have yet to hear or find out if there were others that fought for the Union or the Confederacy. Ultimately, the NC side of the family moved to Arkansas, and then later moved to California during the Great Depression.

I know that there were Southerners that fought in the Civil War because they felt it was a states rights issue, that they were conscripted, and any host of other reasons. Maybe it's the West Coast in me, but I just can't figure out why there are still Southerners that hold onto a war where they lost. I'm all for remembering the history, and even having these items in a museum-type setting; people should know what happened, and to see items from that time only reinforces the tangible-ness of that history.

Ole Miss really messed up when they tried to keep the Rebel name, but go with a totally different mascot to distract from the name. Maybe they need to do what Sparkman HS has done: they have the Colonel Reb character in some of their branding, but the "Reb" is wearing a gray-colored suit, and their team name is the Senators (named after Senator John Sparkman I think).

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I know of two ancestors that fought on the side of the Confederacy for North Carolina. I have yet to hear or find out if there were others that fought for the Union or the Confederacy. Ultimately, the NC side of the family moved to Arkansas, and then later moved to California during the Great Depression.

I know that there were Southerners that fought in the Civil War because they felt it was a states rights issue, that they were conscripted, and any host of other reasons. Maybe it's the West Coast in me, but I just can't figure out why there are still Southerners that hold onto a war where they lost. I'm all for remembering the history, and even having these items in a museum-type setting; people should know what happened, and to see items from that time only reinforces the tangible-ness of that history.

Ole Miss really messed up when they tried to keep the Rebel name, but go with a totally different mascot to distract from the name. Maybe they need to do what Sparkman HS has done: they have the Colonel Reb character in some of their branding, but the "Reb" is wearing a gray-colored suit, and their team name is the Senators (named after Senator John Sparkman I think).
UNLV sure keeps Runnin' with theirs. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.