Is the Political Left killing Disney (Captain Marvel controversy)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
at this point in life, i figure i'm better off just living with the sunk cost of having not seen the original ghostbusters
You'd be incorrect. I'd probably let you slide on Goonies and Home Alone even though they're classics for me (and definitely Dirty Dancing).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You'd be incorrect. I'd probably let you slide on Goonies and Home Alone even though they're classics for me (and definitely Dirty Dancing).
not watching home alone and dirty dancing has been a moral decision on my part. ghostbusters and goonies i just missed. i didn't get to go to a lot of movies as a teen, the local dixie theater was only one screen at the time and sucked donkey parts, so i only got to go if i was visiting a big city (e.g. jasper or florence).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There are very few remakes that are better than or equal to their original.
The Magnificent Seven (1960 version) is equal to the original Seven Samari. The remake of the remake was terrible.

The remake of It is much better than the original TV miniseries. That is all I can think of.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Magnificent Seven (1960 version) is equal to the original Seven Samari. The remake of the remake was terrible.

The remake of It is much better than the original TV miniseries. That is all I can think of.
Im sure I can think of others, but Red Dragon= Manhunter, Prince of Eygpt > Ten Commandments, and IT Remake > It tv miniseries.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
not watching home alone and dirty dancing has been a moral decision on my part. ghostbusters and goonies i just missed. i didn't get to go to a lot of movies as a teen, the local dixie theater was only one screen at the time and sucked donkey parts, so i only got to go if i was visiting a big city (e.g. jasper or florence).
Just out of curiosity what is the moral decision for Home Alone? If you don't mind saying.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Just out of curiosity what is the moral decision for Home Alone? If you don't mind saying.
for some reason macaulay culkin just bugged the crap out of me so i refused to watch it. honestly, i felt that way about all of the kid stars at that time, and made a point to let everyone know it because i was so cool.

for some reason i am not lionized for my moral stands

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
for some reason macaulay culkin just bugged the crap out of me so i refused to watch it. honestly, i felt that way about all of the kid stars at that time, and made a point to let everyone know it because i was so cool.

for some reason i am not lionized for my moral stands
Gonna put you on an Anti-Culkite watch list.

I went through a phase of hating popular stuff just because it was popular also. Maybe not exactly what you mean but I’m running with it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Gonna put you on an Anti-Culkite watch list.

I went through a phase of hating popular stuff just because it was popular also. Maybe not exactly what you mean but I’m running with it.
yeah, it was pretty much as simple as that. cool/popular folks didn't like my stuff, so i would show them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
What was your moral stand against Dirty Dancing?

FWIW, I agree with you on Culkin. He just came across as a little twerp to me.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Everyone does to some extent. Not a movie but in school I voted for W in our mock election because my entire family was voting for Gore.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i was also a nerd/dork before that became co-opted
Yeah, my daughter is like that. She goes to a school that purposely flips the traditional school social structure upside down. Nerd, "different", is considered cool. The few jocks who are smart enough to get into the school are at the bottom of the "cool" meter and many times are made fun of (how ironic). I was the "jock" during my school days. Definitely not smart or "nerdy". My daughter tells me "Daddy, if you were going to my school when you were my age you wouldn't be cool because you're a 'jock'." I laugh and tell her "Hell, I wasn't even cool at a school where I was supposed to be cool. So yeah, I'm sure I wouldn't be cool at yours either."

However, I do remind her that most of the kids at her school (including her) went to that school because they didn't like being made fun of or being looked at as "different", in the bad, unacceptable sense. So, now that you are the majority so to speak, it would be very hypocritical of you to treat someone else that same way. She looked at me like a calf looking at a new gate. Then rolled her eyes, and stormed upstairs in a way only a 14 year old middle school girl can. LOL!

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
To me, the whole comic book film industry has run its' course.

Too many SpiderMan reboots. Too many lower-tier superhero movies.

The last one I was ever interested in was the final Batman/Christian Bale film.

Time to give it a rest for a while. It's all explosions and CGI, rehashed over and over.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Time to give it a rest for a while. It's all explosions and CGI, rehashed over and over.
I agree with all the Spider-Man movies. There's not one I cared about whatsoever, but I guess I watched the (first?) one with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst?

Loved Iron Man and Thor. Their numbered sequels I did not really care for.

Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy are hilarious with fantastic butt kicking moments and I will watch these more than once. They are better to me than the main Avengers story.

I liked Wonder Woman and of course The Dark Knight movies, but DC lost me with the Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman nonsense. I liked Aquaman.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I agree with all the Spider-Man movies. There's not one I cared about whatsoever, but I guess I watched the (first?) one with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst?

Loved Iron Man and Thor. Their numbered sequels I did not really care for.

Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy are hilarious with fantastic butt kicking moments and I will watch these more than once. They are better to me than the main Avengers story.

I liked Wonder Woman and of course The Dark Knight movies, but DC lost me with the Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman nonsense. I liked Aquaman.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think the next and last superhero movie I will watch will be the last Avengers movie. After that movie, I am done with comic book movies. They will probably re-boot them all in 5 years anyway.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I haven't read the whole thread but, from the first page, here is my initial impression of it:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.